MiG-15 - No Ground Electrical Power?

Charly_Owl

I found these two items indicated when I look up Mig 15 Starter generator. 12SAM-25 DC battery and ST2-48 self-contained starter system.

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.

— Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in WWII

From what the Internet tells me, self starting capability was added during production of the MiG-15bis. So vanilla MiG-15 and possibly also some early MiG-15bis aircraft didn't have that capability. Why didn't the Americans do the same? Who knows, I guess they didn't consider it essential. A more capable battery may also be bigger and heavier, perhaps they weren't willing to make that sacrifice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Huh, interesting... did the MiG-15 not require a GPU to start in the past ?

It definitely needs one now, unless I am doing something wrong.

Yes that was the case, I definitely remember being able to start the Mig15 without ground power.

Today...wel .... if you're doing something wrong, then I do too because I need that GPU ON to startup now. :)

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16