Best VR settings?

sze5003

Just trying to get an idea of the best settings for my setup. Been getting a bit nauseous after not really being able to read the labels.

I7 6700k

16gb

1080Ti

Right now I clicked VR mode in the graphics settings and set terrain and texture details to high, everything else to medium, hdr on, deferred shadow off, msa to 8x and aa filtering at 2x.

Pixel density is at 2.0. Performance is fine from what I've seen and no lag when Turing my head at all.

Sometimes it's hard to see the HUD lettering so I'll move my Rift and reposition it which helps. But overall it looks very good.

Are there other options I should have on or do I have any that are unnecessary and will cause performance problems?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have a weaker rig but what I do is to keep the Deferred Shading on, turn HDR off and reduce the quality of shadows and water. Wags posted something about the VR settings a while back - some of them won't change the quality of what you see in VR but might have an impact on the performance.

Also, the default point of view in VR is wrong - I found I was sitting too close and it was difficult to reach the FM radio. But when you move it back you can't see the HUD clearly, matter of finding a sweet spot.

And I sooo much miss pilot's body - having it adds so much to the immersion!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I noticed if I keep deferred shadows on it makes the map too bright, almost washed out kind of at least on nttr.

I was reading something on a post that mentioned hdr on helps with the visibility of the labels. I think I noticed 4x msaa is a bit more choppy than 8x which is weird.

I noticed the seating position is odd too. It's like I'm sitting on the edge of the seat. Couldn't find a way to calibrate the seating position the rift shows you in the a-10. But I noticed if you press numpad 5 it centers it but it's too close up. If you lean your head in and press numpad 5 again it zooms it out just a bit.

I'll try and find that post from Wags. I think 2.1 still needs some optimization for VR. Even with a pixel density of 2.5 it didn't seem to make the labels more clear..probably since the seating position is so close. It did make the head movement just a tad slow but not unplayable.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Right ctrl +shift and the numpad can be used to shift one's position in the cockpit. * and /included. It only takes a second to do especially after one has figured out where one likes to be in different craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right ctrl +shift and the numpad can be used to shift one's position in the cockpit. * and /included. It only takes a second to do especially after one has figured out where one likes to be in different craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok I didn't realize I had to use the ctrl+shift to do this.
Just adjust the gamma in settings to 1.5 (from default 2.2) and you will be good to go!
Cool I'll try this out tonite and see how it goes.

Easier way in the rift is to use middle mouse to shift your position forward or back a touch.

Back a couple works well in the a10c.

You should start up centered anyway.Left alt + c to bring back your pointer to screen.

You can map a key on your hotas to recenter the view in the rift in the settings ui layer tab.

Edited by aceviper

Cool will have to try 1.5 gamma. I use my mouse to click the dials in the cockpit. I could just turn off the mouse and assign the click to the hotas slew control, I think that tiny mouse clicks in too. Then use my head to look at the labels and dials that I want.

Maybe I can bump everything to high and still run a PD of 2.0.

Second the 1.5 gamma, tried it last night and it's incredible how nttr looks during a dawn flight.

Try that gamma in the middle of the night with no sun illumination....its way too high.

You dont need your night vision!

Somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3 and it doesnt appear washed out and wrong.

Would like to see contrast and brightness controls in the game too because at night the ground glows.

Edited by aceviper

I can't use DS yet as I can see my HUD in either A-10 or MK2. It's even worse at night in the MK2 as the projector puts too much light on the HUD glass. ED needs to fix this problem.

Have you tried using "Night Mode" in VR? it works really good for daytime flight in DCS.

I would not fly night missions in night mode though..

I highly recommend turning on tool tips, this way when u highlight a dial you can read the big white lettering..

I also turn on both antialasing options up to 16x. works well for me. (sorry forgot the names..

Never turn on v-sync in VR!!

----------------------------

If your PC is not super powerful maybe supersample dcs to 1.2 from 1.0 (any higher and you may regret it with stutters.

Oh and don't waste frames on your cockpit dsplays.. I have my to stupid low 256..see them just fine. (MAKE SURE IN GAME TEXTURES ARE ON HIGH(not talking about ground textures))

Just a few things.

Edited by SharkBaztard

I can't use DS yet as I can see my HUD in either A-10 or MK2. It's even worse at night in the MK2 as the projector puts too much light on the HUD glass. ED needs to fix this problem.

I think there is a fix to that.

You need to edit the file HUD_base.lua. File is located in ..\M-2000C\Cockpit\VTH.

Change this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{204,255,204,5}) -- light green

To this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{0,0,0,5}) -- black

Let me know if it helps!

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I think there is a fix to that.

You need to edit the file HUD_base.lua. File is located in ..\M-2000C\Cockpit\VTH.

Change this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{204,255,204,5}) -- light green

To this line:

local mask_material_TFOV = MakeMaterial(nil,{0,0,0,5}) -- black

Let me know if it helps!

Thanks a bunch for this...works wonderfully in nevada:thumbup:

Hope the other modules get fixed real soon too.+1

Is there anyhow to make distant objects less hazy? I have textures on high and I can barely tell runways and taxiways apart from a distance. Also, isn't msaa sort of a supersampling? Wont the pixel density and msaa sort of contradict each other? I would love to get these settings just right.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Is there anyhow to make distant objects less hazy? I have textures on high and I can barely tell runways and taxiways apart from a distance. Also, isn't msaa sort of a supersampling? Wont the pixel density and msaa sort of contradict each other? I would love to get these settings just right.

Put terrain textures also on high and on the right side increase the visibility bar all the way to the right.

This is what I'm running now:

Textures - High

Terrain Textures - High

Civ. Traffic - low/Off

Water - Low

Visb Range - High (a lot of people say it is a big performance hit and to turn it down, I like it higher)

Heat Blur - High (again I didn't notice a difference one way or an other)

Shadows - Off (Big FPS hit here)

Res. of Cockpit Displays - 512 (Depends on the aircraft, but I notice a hit in the A-10 with it higher)

MSAA - 8x

DoF - OFF ( Big FPS hit here)

Lens Effects - None

HDR - Off

Deferred Shading - Off

Clutter/Grass - All the way left (Minimums)

Trees - All the way left (Minimums)

Preload Radius - All the way right

Chimney Smokes Density - Ieave it at the default, never noticed a difference

Anisotropic Filtering - 4x

Terrain Objects Shadows - Off (Big FPS hit here)

Cockpit Global Illumination - Off

Pixel density at 2.0

I can make out the runway and sometimes even cars driving on the roads. Mission and training text above your head looks very clear and readable.

Cockpit text on dials and guages kind of clear but also a bit blurry still. Honestly looking at the text on the cdu or guages makes me a bit nauseous.

Text on HUD is very clear though so I'm wondering if something is missing.

I also am curious about msa and aa filtering too as I noticed if I just set the graphics to the VR button defaults it kind of looks a bit better overall as long as you change textures and terrain textures to high. Using the high preset button doesn't seem to sharpen them more but rather makes everything look a bit flat instead of popping out.

Yea give it a go and feel free to mess with any of them too maybe you may make them look better. I still think it can look better but I'm not sure what to change really. Today when I get back from work I'll see what my fps counter says.

Put terrain textures also on high and on the right side increase the visibility bar all the way to the right.

This is what I'm running now:

Textures - High

Terrain Textures - High

Civ. Traffic - low/Off

Water - Low

Visb Range - High (a lot of people say it is a big performance hit and to turn it down, I like it higher)

Heat Blur - High (again I didn't notice a difference one way or an other)

Shadows - Off (Big FPS hit here)

Res. of Cockpit Displays - 512 (Depends on the aircraft, but I notice a hit in the A-10 with it higher)

MSAA - 8x

DoF - OFF ( Big FPS hit here)

Lens Effects - None

HDR - Off

Deferred Shading - Off

Clutter/Grass - All the way left (Minimums)

Trees - All the way left (Minimums)

Preload Radius - All the way right

Chimney Smokes Density - Ieave it at the default, never noticed a difference

Anisotropic Filtering - 4x

Terrain Objects Shadows - Off (Big FPS hit here)

Cockpit Global Illumination - Off

Pixel density at 2.0

I can make out the runway and sometimes even cars driving on the roads. Mission and training text above your head looks very clear and readable.

Cockpit text on dials and guages kind of clear but also a bit blurry still. Honestly looking at the text on the cdu or guages makes me a bit nauseous.

Text on HUD is very clear though so I'm wondering if something is missing.

I also am curious about msa and aa filtering too as I noticed if I just set the graphics to the VR button defaults it kind of looks a bit better overall as long as you change textures and terrain textures to high. Using the high preset button doesn't seem to sharpen them more but rather makes everything look a bit flat instead of popping out.

Are these your settings for VR? Will take some any try them out, I don't have VR, just trying to find a good mix on my system.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Are these your settings for VR? Will take some any try them out, I don't have VR, just trying to find a good mix on my system.
Yea I use these for VR as of yesterday. Without VR I just had everything cranked to the high preset and reduced gamma.

Won't changing the resolution of cockpit textures to 512 affect the clarity in any way?

I'm not really sure. I wonder if anyone has messed with them. I just left it at 512 because that's what it's been on for default. I tried higher ones but I didn't understand exactly what it changed. I will mess more with it tonite.

Ok. Someone should make a detailed explanation per graphic card how to get the best juice out of VR. I would like to see a ED implement more fixed presets like low/high end VR in the setup.