Shkval sights not lining up with Abris

chief

Is there a reason why the shkval does not line up with the abris very well. It makes it very difficult to find targets for me. I'll post a pic. in the pic the shkval is point near the target. But when you look on the Abris it is way beyond the target location.

shkval.thumb.jpg.8a27702df9057479d5306a9c30dd5a72.jpg

it should be fixed if you relock/Range the target (if i remember correct)

That may be BUT for the initial search with the sckval is the problem. If you place the shkval (the yellow cue on the abris) over the TGT on the abris they arent aligned at all. Makes seaching for a target very hard sometimes

It's normal because the position looked at by Shkval is estimated by altimeter and angle which is why it is too long. Try it with a steep look down angle or terrain very near sea level the "pole length" is more accurate. At high elevation terrain with shallow angle the TG point (without laser range) is following imaginary ground plane at 0m by altimeter. This "pole" as shown on ABRIS is a tunnel through the ground down to 0m.

If you adjust Kalman knob on altimeter you can watch pole length adjust in real time. Shkval has 3 states when deployed against terrain: constant angle, estimated point (TG), laser ranged point (TG+range).

ABRIS is only told "Shkval is looking down 10 degrees and you are at 1000m altitude." So ABRIS calculates to make pole 5.67km long on map. But maybe you're 1000m above sea level but only 100m above target. To you it is 0.567km away but ABRIS shows "long pole".

You'd think that since ABRIS knows terrain elevation data it can calculate intersection with ground plane more accurately but maybe it was never developed in real life or DCS did not model it this way even if it was.

Something I learned not long ago:

Before uncaging Shkval, select "Navigation Target Point" and "1" (or whatever target number applicable) on the PVI-800. A square on the ABRIS at the target point start flashing.

Now uncage the Shkval, it will automatically move to the target or close to it (for me most often slightly to low, just move it up a bit) and laze.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yes, very helpful! Also "DL Ingress" button works the same as NAVTGT point but for datalink memory. It will show on HUD/TV distance to point as well before any active ranging is done. Flashing NAVTGT points can also be set type and saved in DL memory at any time to input points into DL memory.