AIM-120C Inaccurate?

Teriander

The altitude split also doesn't make sense for the scenario presented. It's going to be either 10000' (5nm shot) or 5000' (2-3nm shot) ... basic pilot math from the radar antenna indicator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ok lets look at this again...

and considering he is just a little before half way down the screen the radar scale must be 20nm. But, as he continues to close notice how
the bandit jumps up to nearly the top of the scale... this can only happen if the scale decreases to the next step which is 10nm. I don't know why it looks like a 2 at the side but the range scale automatically jumps down notches as you close on a target. You can replicate this in falcon bms just over 8-9nm the scale will jump down from 20nm to 10nm.

Next onto the radar elevation scale we will reference this pic:

o43yQfN.jpg

when looking at the moment of the engagement at a minimum the radar is elevated 40 degrees and at a maximum 43ish degrees (we will use the minimum of 40° for our calculations). If the range is infact 5nm (or more) that would mean an elevation difference of ~19528ft but if its the 3nm as I am guessing then it's an elevation difference of ~11716ft. Which would make a lot more sense considering earlier we saw the F16 just below 20k ft and the mig25 we know is around 30k ft.

Edited by nighthawk2174

That's from a game manual which is next to meaningless without solid verification. I'd be quite comfortable with the elevation markers denoting 10 degrees, not 20.

Here's the quote from the real -34:

f16radar_elevation_quote.png.37cf1854a5378078853af0ebd3eb5a8b.png

That's what happens when you reference games instead of real documentation ;)

Further, the video itself has no missile-in-flight indications, though that might be due to the radar/software being older.

Next onto the radar elevation scale we will reference this pic:

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Quit the attitude. Sarcastic winky emoticon is not how proper people converse.

But yeah, games have mistakes in documentation. I didn't notice the mistake in the diagram because it's so obvious that it's marked in 10s.

Does anyone know if range position on B-scope is slant range or 2D? It should be 2D right? At these extreme angles from horizon this makes a significant different.

You are correct GGTharos (lol guess I had that wrong in BMS for a long time)

So this would mean that the radar elevation would be around 20°'s which would mean a slant range of 3.2nm and a difference in elevation of ~6600ft, if we assume a horizontal range of ~3nm. Now below are the ACMI's for those shots in DCS and BMS. (just to compare to another sim)

Engagment

DCS

BMS

Edited by nighthawk2174

• 11 months later...