DCS 2.2 freeze - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
lanmancz

Default DCS 2.2 freeze

Hello,
I'm often (though not every mission) experiencing freezes of DCS 2.2. All is going well and suddenly the sim simply stops responding, I didn't notice any pattern like if I was doing something in particular that caused the freeze. It does not crash but just remains frozen. I'm flying A10C in Nevada. It happens pretty much randomly, in a simple mission I created with just 15 units and now it happened to me while flying mission 3 of the A10C RF campaign. First 2 missions went fine though. I tried to collect as much info as I could. What happens is that the DCS process hangs with CPU usage about 30-40% while GPU usage drops down to nil. I also included log file. I also checked things like Windows event viewer but there are no errors reported. It's all in the zip. Please let me know if there is more information that I could collect next time to help to identify the issue as this happens to me about 1/3 of my flights.

PS: I'm running latest Windows 10 (auto-updated) with nVidia drivers 388.43
Attached Files
File Type: zip dcs22-freeze.ZIP (136.0 KB, 46 views)

Spoiler:
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-18-2017 at 10:10 PM.
lanmancz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
cthulhu68

Is your Tacview up to date. I recall people having issues with a certain version of it.
cthulhu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
lanmancz

Yeah, it's the latest downloaded and installed today just before this last flight. The thing is that these freezes were happening to me even before I installed it. I can try removing it again from the user mods but I don't think that's the culprit. It just happens to be the last message in the log. On the other hand I noticed that there are a bunch of DX11-type errors and load errors but I don't really know what they mean. My DCS 2.2 unmoded vanilla, downloaded just 2 days ago when I got back to DCS after 2 years of absence :-) The only "mods" I'm using is the Tacview and the "476 Range Targets 22OCT17" to be able to use their Nevada mission. Both are user side mods, nothing in the DCS folder is moded.

Spoiler:
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-18-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
cthulhu68

There are a lot of errors involving metashaders in log. You can try deleting metashaders folder in Windows C. / Users / Your Name / Saved Games /DCSopenalpha. When you restart DCS it will rebuild folder.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
lanmancz

Hm, that did not help unfortunately, it froze again. I even run a repair before the flight, just in case. This is very weird.

So in order to eliminate everything I can think of that might be causing this I done following, and I will report back :
- updated to latest 388.59 drivers (clean install)
- run repair
- removed all user mods
- excluded the entire DCS:W path from antivirus (NOD32)
- reset nvidia panel to default settings

PS: It's not caused by my OC for sure. I'm not getting any other unexplained CTDs or BSODs, my cpu temps are fine (<70C in high load, ~55 in normal flying, about 40 in idle), and my other sim that I fly (X-Plane) runs just fine. Also I'm getting no WHEA errors in event log which would indicate unstable OC. I've had this OC for a long time without any issues.

Spoiler:

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-19-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
lanmancz

Unhappy

No luck, froze again. No idea what the issue might be.
Latest log attached.
btw: I noticed the latest message in the log is ~2 minutes old, froze about 2 minutes after last message in the log.

edit: I realized that in this last flight I did not actually remove the mods and tacview exports yet so I did that just to eliminate that but as I though that wasn't the culprit - it now froze in about 3 minutes, just after takeoff.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dcs.zip (10.9 KB, 34 views)

Spoiler:

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
lanmancz

Exclamation

I'm starting to think that the freezes have something to do with my USB headphones (genius gx gaming cavimanus 7.1 headset). I read in other post that someone recommended using onboard audio instead of USB device. I also noticed that when I set my headset in windows speaker configuration to 7.1 it froze almost instantly but when running in stereo it lasted longer. So I tried to switch my default audio device to my onboard soundcard and run it from standard stereo speakers and now it no longer freezes but crashes instead. But at least it was able to collect the system information so hopefully that helps. Attached including log.

PS: I checked some other "crash" threads and it seems I'm not the only one getting freezes and crashes. For example this one seems very similar :
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196211

Makes the game pretty much unplayable for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dcs.log-20171219-143246.zip (951.7 KB, 35 views)

Spoiler:

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
cthulhu68

I was trying to help someone else with a crash problem and he was able to track problem to some of the additional bloatware you get with Nvidia drivers. 3d Print Viewer was the problem I think and I've heard people having issues with Nvidia Experience. Unless you use these maybe try deleting them.
Also worth noting is the latest update caused a slew of crashes. ED may be working on fixes for all of these.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
RedShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmancz View Post
PS: I checked some other "crash" threads and it seems I'm not the only one getting freezes and crashes. For example this one seems very similar :

Makes the game pretty much unplayable for me.
I have been having DCS 2.x freeze issue since I installed it when the Normandy map came out.
I have tested pretty much every setting, swapped pretty much every HW component in my rig, done numerous clean DCS and windows installs,.... and nothing helped
see more details in;
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189729

...until I made two changes;
- nVidia Control Panel; Maximum pre-rendered frames. If I set this to 3 or 4 the game freeze does not occur as easily as with default or with value 1.
- FOV; The default maximum Field Of View seems to be 140. If I limit this to something like max 120 via CameraViewAngleLimits settings in C:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\View\Server.lua I also seem to have less game freeze occuring.
In Server.lua set

see; https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=43

I'm still testing, but it looks good to me sofar and other people have also given some positive feedback. Perhaps give this a try?
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64
RedShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
lanmancz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu68 View Post
I was trying to help someone else with a crash problem and he was able to track problem to some of the additional bloatware you get with Nvidia drivers. 3d Print Viewer was the problem I think and I've heard people having issues with Nvidia Experience. Unless you use these maybe try deleting them.
I don't have that. I only have the standard nvidia driver stuff installed :

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu68 View Post
Also worth noting is the latest update caused a slew of crashes. ED may be working on fixes for all of these.
I sure hope they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShoes View Post
...until I made two changes;
- nVidia Control Panel; Maximum pre-rendered frames. If I set this to 3 or 4 the game freeze does not occur as easily as with default or with value 1.
- FOV; The default maximum Field Of View seems to be 140. If I limit this to something like max 120 via CameraViewAngleLimits settings in C:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\View\Server.lua I also seem to have less game freeze occuring.
In Server.lua set
I will try. Thanks.

edit: I tried the FOV change but that's not good for me. I have 3 monitors (1 camera) and with 120 FOV everything is too zoomed in. I can move the eyepoint back which helps with cockpit display visibility but then the HUD is not visible properly (does not fit on the glass when viewed from farther back) so that's no good. I guess I will need a proper fix for this freeze/crash issue by ED. I will see if at least the pre-rendered frames helped, I set that to 4 but today is too late to do a flight. I'll see later if that helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nvidia1.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	174592  

Spoiler:

Last edited by lanmancz; 12-19-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Tags
a10-c, dcs 2.2, freeze, nevada