DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

So, since ED mentioned

"Mapping Display

The feature set is in the final stages of the definition."

and in that weekend-news it's not explained in a short sentence what that is, does anyone here have a clue what it could be? Couldn't they just name it "moving map", if that's what it is?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

From today's newsletter

Once the final touches have been delivered on the DCS: P-47 Thunderbolt Early Access, the full focus will go onto the Mi-24P.

So.

Since the P-47 is yet to be launched into early access, and they say they will put full focus on the MI-24P not until after the finishing touches have been delivered, seing how long the Early access period is on ED's products (F-16 LOL - F/A-18C LMAO - Yak-52 ROTFLMAO) I predict we will see Mi-24 in early access some time in 2025.

#stillbutthurt

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

It says once the early access is finished, not the final release.

As they're doing the 'final touches' on the EA P-47 now, I guess that will be before 2025.

I read it as once the P-47 is in EA (& the inevitable random-unreproducible-unless-you-have-a-very-unusual-setup show stoppers are patched), the Mi-24P takes main focus.

Cheers.

From Helissimer

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/eagle-dynamics-new-screenshots-development-report-mi-24?fbclid=IwAR13DUqS4VqbH5kkpkhmInfaXIuV4usxi8SgEux8F9ChalLevJlXtdZlVDA

Grodlund : keep the faith my friend, Hind All the way !

Our beast is coming and I bet for a release end of 2020 or begin of 2021.

It will be for sure a "Beta version" with no multicrew and all weapon systems up and running (like the F-16 & F-18).

From Helissimer

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/eagle-dynamics-new-screenshots-development-report-mi-24?fbclid=IwAR13DUqS4VqbH5kkpkhmInfaXIuV4usxi8SgEux8F9ChalLevJlXtdZlVDA

Grodlund : keep the faith my friend, Hind All the way !

Our beast is coming and I bet for a release end of 2020 or begin of 2021.

It will be for sure a "Beta version" with no multicrew and all weapon systems up and running (like the F-16 & F-18).

if the Hind is anything like the F-16 release I may just wait a while before buying. Viper is a mess still 6 months later.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Cardboard cartographic moving map.

So not really "moving" automatically then, or?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

So not really "moving" automatically then, or?

Yes, but in a typical USSR (but quite ingenious) kind of way. The map is a real paper map. The green frame in the picture is basikaly a kind of "cardboard television" kids play with (but in metal). The map is rolled up on two rollers, one upper, one lower. In front of the map there is a transparent ruler with a cross on it and possibly some kind of small "pen".

Your position is showed by rolling the paper map up or down, and moving the transparent ruler left and right. Below the cross are the aircraft. I believe there is a "pen" making a track line, but I'm not sure. It uses some of the aircraft's pre-GNSS navigation systems to control the motions of the "moving map" (which it really is, a moving paper map).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

But what happens if the helicopter flies very far west or east? the map can't move to the right or left then, correct?

And how do you know so much about this system, that's awesome!

But what happens if the helicopter flies very far west or east? the map can't move to the right or left then, correct?

Correct. You then have to land and change the map ;-)

Most likely they have a rather small scale map covering the entire area the helicopter is supposed to be operating in during the mission.

I really don't know much about it, now you know exactly all I know. But All-knowing Google knows more...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Google Translate

… The map is rolled up on two rollers, one upper, one lower. In front of the map there is a transparent ruler with a cross on it and possibly some kind of small "pen".

Your position is showed by rolling the paper map up or down, and moving the transparent ruler left and right. Below the cross are the aircraft. I believe there is a "pen" making a track line, but I'm not sure. It uses some of the aircraft's pre-GNSS navigation systems to control the motions of the "moving map" (which it really is, a moving paper map).

It is not right. Molevitch explained several earlier correctly.

The map holder uses a moving transparent tape, not a light. The tape has a red cross reticle on it It moves similarly to the way a CnC machine moves the machine head, so it is mechanically driven. The scale can be selected and different scale map cards inserted. It is a Doppler/Inertial system.

Correct. You then have to land and change the map ;-)…

This is also not correct. A set of maps of the flight area is cut into sheets in the size of 220×168mm. When the movable tape approaches the edge of the map, the pilot replaces this map sheet with a new one, after which, with the 1 and 7 knobs, it corrects the current position of the helicopter on the new map sheet.

Original in Russian

Это не правильно. Правильно несколько ранее объяснил molevitch.

Это тоже не правильно. Набор карт района полётов нарезаются в виде листов размером 220×168 мм. Когда подвижная лента подходит к краю карты, пилот заменяет этот лист карты на новый, после чего кремальерами 1 и 7 корректирует текущее положение вертолёта на новом листе карты.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

... the pilot replaces this map sheet with a new one, after which, with the 1 and 7 knobs, it corrects the current position of the helicopter on the new map sheet.

nice nice, thanks! So this means it -24P has autopilot, I assume, and pilot could (and did, in real flights maybe?) replace the map sheet with new one in-flight, or?

It is not right. Molevitch explained several earlier correctly.

I was pretty sure it was the map itself that moved vertically, bu I might be wrong. But horizontally we are saying the same, he uses "tape" while I use "ruler", same same but different.

When the movable tape approaches the edge of the map, the pilot replaces this map sheet with a new one

This is what I said, pilot replacing it manually. He might not need to land to do it though.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Google Translate

nice nice, thanks! So this means it -24P has autopilot, I assume, and pilot could (and did, in real flights maybe?) replace the map sheet with new one in-flight, or?

Yes, the Mi-24 has an autopilot, as well as the Mi-8. Yes, the pilot changes the map sheets in flight, landing for this is not required.

Original in Russian

Да, на Ми-24 имеется автопилот, также как и на Ми-8. Да, пилот меняет листы карты в полёте, приземляться для этого не требуется.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

The moving map is extremely simple to use. You just need to avoid damaging the plastic strip that moves across the box when you open the glass window. Place the map with wanted area in it with the scale that match with the system 1 cm = 2000 meters (2 km) or 10000 meters (10 km).

The map has automatically moving that plastic strip with cross bars doppler that you have in Mi-8MTv2 and KA-50 as well. And so on it doesn't care what map there is, only that if helicopter does fly to North then it must move cross X amount toward North in the set scale.

If you decide that map position doesn't match helicopter position, you use two dials to manually move cross on position you think you are. So you use visually landmarks to correct your moving map location. No twiddling with navigation system etc.

And with 1:200000 set you can navigate easily in accuracy of couple hundred meters, as 1 mm is 200 meters. And so on you can update your location at that precision.

When you think about it, you don't need much higher accuracy as you should be using eyes to spot targets, troops, locations etc at that range.

Its main use is to know where you are and what is your route. So you find your location in the half kilometer accuracy in actual flight.

Best thing is that as it is paper map, you can make markings on it with pen. Like land and let the recon team draw enemy positions on the map, or talk over radio and discuss the coordinates on map and you have just exchanged "data" in the old manner.

And as you can swap maps in it, you can easily swap between long range and close range map, so one map to fly 100 km route and one map for combat zone in about 45 x 36 km area that one map presents in 1:200000 scale.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The moving map is extremely simple to use. You just need to avoid damaging the plastic strip that moves across the box when you open the glass window.

You almost "sound" like you've worked with it for real, from reading this :thumbup: Thanks for all the information!

I beg to differ!

From today's newsletter

So.

Since the P-47 is yet to be launched into early access, and they say they will put full focus on the MI-24P not until after the finishing touches have been delivered, seing how long the Early access period is on ED's products (F-16 LOL - F/A-18C LMAO - Yak-52 ROTFLMAO) I predict we will see Mi-24 in early access some time in 2025.

#stillbutthurt

I am not sharing your "enthusiasm" towards ED works. I think I will stick with my way of looking at things and I am going to belive in what Chizh said - Mi-24 is planned this year.

I will be trusting this unless I am proven wrong on December 31st 2020.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am not sharing your "enthusiasm" towards ED works. I think I will stick with my way of looking at things and I am going to belive in what Chizh said - Mi-24 is planned this year.

I will be trusting this unless I am proven wrong on December 31st 2020.

:thumbup::thumbup: Absolutely !

• 2 weeks later...
The moving map is extremely simple to use. You just need to avoid damaging the plastic strip that moves across the box when you open the glass window. Place the map with wanted area in it with the scale that match with the system 1 cm = 2000 meters (2 km) or 10000 meters (10 km).

The map has automatically moving that plastic strip with cross bars doppler that you have in Mi-8MTv2 and KA-50 as well. And so on it doesn't care what map there is, only that if helicopter does fly to North then it must move cross X amount toward North in the set scale.

If you decide that map position doesn't match helicopter position, you use two dials to manually move cross on position you think you are. So you use visually landmarks to correct your moving map location. No twiddling with navigation system etc.

And with 1:200000 set you can navigate easily in accuracy of couple hundred meters, as 1 mm is 200 meters. And so on you can update your location at that precision.

When you think about it, you don't need much higher accuracy as you should be using eyes to spot targets, troops, locations etc at that range.

Its main use is to know where you are and what is your route. So you find your location in the half kilometer accuracy in actual flight.

Best thing is that as it is paper map, you can make markings on it with pen. Like land and let the recon team draw enemy positions on the map, or talk over radio and discuss the coordinates on map and you have just exchanged "data" in the old manner.

And as you can swap maps in it, you can easily swap between long range and close range map, so one map to fly 100 km route and one map for combat zone in about 45 x 36 km area that one map presents in 1:200000 scale.

Ah, fine soviet era engineering at its best. :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

For what I know Mi-24 has an "autopilot hover" system integrated.

Mi-8 "autopilot" won't hover, take off or land for you :], are more adjustments Engineer does for you to aid maintaining heading, altitude and so.

Ahh okay thanks for the info.. maybe thats why i have such a hard time with the MI-8 :pilotfly:

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

Mi-8 "autopilot" won't hover, take off or land for you .

Can you elaborate it? I can only use its AP just for heading and altitude adjustments not for taking off or landing :smartass:

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5