MiG-15bis, Fuzzy instruments with the Rift

AH_Sid

Anyone else using the DK2 with the MiG-15bis?

I've only just started flying the MiG-15bis after spending months flying the F86F. It's immediately noticeable how fuzzy the instruments are in the MiG-15 are compared to the F86F.

The Rift's resolution means things are never going to be crystal clear, but in the F86F I can at least read the instruments ok, and if I lean in to look at an instrument in particular, it has an amazing level of detail and is very clear.

With the MiG-15bis, the instruments look very fuzzy using the Rift, even if I lean in to look at them.

Anyone else see this difference? I'm wondering if it's just my settings or install, or is there a difference in build standard between the two?

Edited by =AH=_Sid

Here's an idea of what I mean by 'fuzziness', this was taken by just holding an iPhone camera up to the lens in the Rift.

Sabre-Mig_002b.jpg

I think I've found the reason.

Looking at the F86F file containing the instruments, 'F-86F_Cockpit_Texture1.dds', (4096x4096).

Sabre-Mig_005.jpg

Looking at the similar file for the MiG-15bis, 'mig15bis_prib_org.dds' (2048x2048 ) but it's only doing the instruments.

Sabre-Mig_006.jpg

The area given to each instrument face is about same, so the same resolution, same number of pixels, etc.

But if you open the file including the 'MIP maps', you can see a big difference.

The F86F file just has the base file and one half sized version.

Sabre-Mig_003.jpg

Whereas the MiG-15bis has the base version and eleven versions, each half the size of the previous.

Sabre-Mig_004.jpg

In the F86F the lowest resolution one I'll see at any distance is the half sized one, which is still quite readable. In the MiG on the other hand, the further I am away, the lower the resolution will be. Even in the normal seating position I recon I'm viewing MIP level 4 or 5, which simply doesn't have enough information to make numbers out clearly (in the Rift anyway).

Playing around with the file today, re-saving it with various levels of MIP, three seems to work the best (for me) and make the instruments in the MiG-15bis as readable as the F86F (if not better), in the Rift anyway.

Sabre-Mig_004a.jpg