DCS: Iwo Jima Map

Silver_Dragon

Now that we have a thread specifically for this map:

ED needs to consider implementation of amphibious landing related features (Such a core aspect of DCS can't be done by a third party alone). Currently amphibious vehicles do not work properly in Combined Arms, and it is not possible to place amphibious vehicles or their waypoints on water in the mission editor. For small island maps like Iwo Jima or water centric maps like Strait of Hormuz, amphibious landings are a very important scenario. Iwo Jima would not be complete without it.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well... we don't need amphibious things. We have Mi-8 with CLTD transport script. . . :D :D :D
Okay, I must admit, I plan on flying my Huey around here too. A mostly open ocean map like this could be fun for F/A-18+F-14 vs. Su-33 as well. Scenarios don't strictly have to involve an island invasion, but it is important for the historical scenario.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did I miss something here? When or where did Leatherneck announce this?

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

So where did Iwo Jima come from? And don't say a volcano!

Did I miss something here? When or where did Leatherneck announce this?

You guys seem surprised! That's great to see really, because quite a lot of users said that they felt the surprise/reveal was spoiled for them by the steam database leak coming out of nowhere. So all is well in the end! :thumbup:

I only wonder whether the map will come along with Corsair as some kind of pre-order incentive, standard feature or will be available as standalone. Can't wait to read all the details about these modules and also to what detail (and expected performance) will the map be modelled compared to what we already have in DCS. At the very least there is not that much speculation left, it was already killing me...

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

You guys seem surprised! That's great to see really, because quite a lot of users said that they felt the surprise/reveal was spoiled for them by the steam database leak coming out of nowhere.
Maybe. But I haven't been following Leatherneck nearly as much as other people so that would explain why I'm pretty ignant on what's going on.

Cobra also stated on reddit : "Okinawa is on the roadmap".

I wonder if this is somehow going to be the "sequel" to Iwojima or is it going to come with the Tomcat? In the former case, it means that they are already planning to expand on PTO and related warbirds.

BTW,

"Leatherneck : PTO WW2 Carrier ops", sounds really nice

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Ok, post open.

Expected Japanese AI fighter on Iwo jima airstrips covered by heavy AAA vs AI carriers to F-4U1? AI Marines landings vs Entrenched Japanese troops? :music_whistling:

Thanks for this Silver_Dragon, I was just contemplating starting this!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

ED needs to consider implementation of amphibious landing related features (Such a core aspect of DCS can't be done by a third party alone). Currently amphibious vehicles do not work properly in Combined Arms, and it is not possible to place amphibious vehicles or their waypoints on water in the mission editor.

It would be nice if we could see this in CA :music_whistling:...

Although it's been cancelled I am still fond of it.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Cobra also stated on reddit : "Okinawa is on the roadmap".

I wonder if this is somehow going to be the "sequel" to Iwojima or is it going to come with the Tomcat?

BTW,

Leatherneck : PTO Carrier ops, sounds really nice

Wow, an actual island hopping campaign through the Pacific would be possible if the maps are able to be integrated properly!

Marine Corps landing plan

82a9862b3d8b2328137293f78d4f76a7.jpg

First flag raising Mt. Suribachi

afc74ab8a8c9ea01779df6e9478f78d4.jpg

Second flag raising Mt. Suribachi

The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years.- Secretary of the Navy James Forestall

f5137ea80daea39ae911e61f2982de02.jpg

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• ED Team
If they're doing WWII things I hope it is a theater and not just another single plane. We already have a bunch of WWII planes that can only dog fight each other. We need some AI units to go with the map.

LNS is fully aware of all this ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If they're doing WWII things I hope it is a theater and not just another single plane. We already have a bunch of WWII planes that can only dog fight each other. We need some AI units to go with the map.

Cobra also mentioned "We're working on a lot of AI and theatre content"

I suppose that this may be the reason for the delay in announcement. Although Iwo Jima is a small map, they would have to create a lot of ships (the armada there was enormous), landing crafts, troops, AAA guns, airport facilities, etc.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

More, we need some AI that can actually dogfight, not just fly in circles on arcade physics.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro