F/A-18C - Trap Practice (aircraft carrier landing)(6 traps)

Whats up guys back at it again, practicing those Traps, I found I was getting good at flying the numbers on a case 1 but my groove and my ball flying was garbage. so I set up a mission and just started trapping alllll day. different weather different wind conditions moving decks U name it I tried it. (just no high fog)

anyone is some actual experience looking at these traps and seeing something wrong please let me know I'm always open to perfecting my flying. always looking for tips and tricks.

If I still have one major problem its my alignment anyone have any tricks for always coming down aligned ?

anyway here it is fellas, trap, trap, trap, until you can't trap no more. literally did this all day yesterday lol

I've attached the mission files for my landing practices, in case anyone wants it. theyre nothing special but just thought id share, theres a Groove only practice, where you basically start in the groove(a little out of the 3/4 just to line yourself up) theres a case 1 starting at an angels 6 holding pattern, and a sierra hotel break i'm sure you all know what that is by now lol.

carrierLanding.miz

carrierLandingGrooveOnly.miz

carrierLandingSeirraHotelBreak.miz

Edited by Growling Sidewinder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

me too! subscribing.

If I still have one major problem its my alignment anyone have any tricks for always coming down aligned ?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Looks pretty good to me. I'm taking a 24 hr break from trap practicing. I was starting to get worse at them last night which was frustrating me. So imma take a quick breather and just keep practicing on bombings.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

You’re still settling in close and have a tendency to drive it in low, get the ball above the datums. Again, if it’s on the high side of the lens you’ll trap. You nearly became a fireball on that 3rd pass, very very close. 1 wires will always be a no grade on a 4 wire boat, a bolter is a higher grade than that. Watch the ball and ask yourself if it’s where it’s supposed to be. You’re looking for an on start, too much power in the middle to energize the ball and raise it up, then bring it back down to on the datums on touchdown. You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving. Don’t try to fly a center ball in right now.

As far as lineup goes, look at the far end of the landing area

me too! subscribing.

appreciate the subscribe brother

Meanwhile, I am STILL trying to get my AoA trimmed in < 15 seconds on downwind.

Beautiful traps (to me!).

thanks man, keep practicing, i'm actually not using any trim to be honest. I can't get the damn thing to work with trim.

Looks pretty good to me. I'm taking a 24 hr break from trap practicing. I was starting to get worse at them last night which was frustrating me. So imma take a quick breather and just keep practicing on bombings.

been there man, when it first came out I trapped all day too, but then got worse and worse, slept woke up the next day trapped again that night probably a 20hour break from it, and I was noticeably better. so ya deff the right track imo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

care to share your mission??

I will deff Try to do that, never done it before check back in about an hour, i'll have it attached to the #1 post.

You’re still settling in close and have a tendency to drive it in low, get the ball above the datums. Again, if it’s on the high side of the lens you’ll trap. You nearly became a fireball on that 3rd pass, very very close. 1 wires will always be a no grade on a 4 wire boat, a bolter is a higher grade than that. Watch the ball and ask yourself if it’s where it’s supposed to be. You’re looking for an on start, too much power in the middle to energize the ball and raise it up, then bring it back down to on the datums on touchdown. You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving. Don’t try to fly a center ball in right now.

As far as lineup goes, look at the far end of the landing area

can u define "datums" I've never heard this term before. are u referring to the green horizontal lines? I agree with the 3rd pass. it was deff low.

"You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving." This is a greeeeaaat point. I never thought about like this. I'm deff going back to trapping and trying this out.

thanks for taking the time to share those tips man much appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will deff Try to do that, never done it before check back in about an hour, i'll have it attached to the #1 post.

can u define "datums" I've never heard this term before. are u referring to the green horizontal lines? I agree with the 3rd pass. it was deff low.

"You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving." This is a greeeeaaat point. I never thought about like this. I'm deff going back to trapping and trying this out.

thanks for taking the time to share those tips man much appreciated.

Yep, the green bars are called the datum lights. But yes, the goal is to keep an energized ball, which is you forcing the ball to move around. From the start position to the ramp the zone for 1 ball of movement changes from 16’ to 1’, so as you get closer you’ll see the ball move very fast if you’re not keeping it moving and where you want it. Keep it on the high side to creaster so if you do settle it’s only 1 ball low at most in the wires, none of this 2+ ball low stuff. Idealy, you’ll never see a low ball

FS201, are you following the checklist? You have no flaps?? Checklist FULL FLAPS.

dude i been having so many problems with the flaps I hit them they dont come on, I hit them sometimes they come on, i'm not sure if some of those passes have flaps or if all are without flaps

I honestly am a little confused by the flaps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I've subscribed too, My landings are like a funky chicken!! though I'm practicing with the default mission, and not deploying my hook, just so I can "bolter" intentionally, to practice the groove.

Dunno how many times I've had "Stennis" emblazoned on my canopy!! :D

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Yeah I've subscribed too, My landings are like a funky chicken!! though I'm practicing with the default mission, and not deploying my hook, just so I can "bolter" intentionally, to practice the groove.

Dunno how many times I've had "Stennis" emblazoned on my canopy!! :D

thanks for the subs guys. ya man I had that STN on my hud so long it feels weird to not have it now lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dude i been having so many problems with the flaps I hit them they dont come on, I hit them sometimes they come on, i'm not sure if some of those passes have flaps or if all are without flaps

I honestly am a little confused by the flaps.

I've found that if I assign a switch to flaps cycle and the switch in the cockpit is on full or half, my assigned button won't cycle the flaps. I have to reach down in the virtual cockpit to switch it to auto. then my button works. I'm sure that there is a better way, but alas....

You REALLY need to know what your flaps condition is to do the ball flying properly. The flaps position will determine your on-speed parameters. Make sure you are at full flaps. It's silly to get into the nitty-gritty with the other stuff and not know where the flaps are. Another thing to always be aware of is your fuel state and remaining weapons load out. Makes a massive difference in approach speeds. Even though the speed is not part of your scan, the jet will fly differently with different weight loads and flap conditions. Remember the max trap weight also so you can dump fuel if need be.

I've found that if I assign a switch to flaps cycle and the switch in the cockpit is on full or half, my assigned button won't cycle the flaps. I have to reach down in the virtual cockpit to switch it to auto. then my button works. I'm sure that there is a better way, but alas....

You REALLY need to know what your flaps condition is to do the ball flying properly. The flaps position will determine your on-speed parameters. Make sure you are at full flaps. It's silly to get into the nitty-gritty with the other stuff and not know where the flaps are. Another thing to always be aware of is your fuel state and remaining weapons load out. Makes a massive difference in approach speeds. Even though the speed is not part of your scan, the jet will fly differently with different weight loads and flap conditions. Remember the max trap weight also so you can dump fuel if need be.

I figured it out, I had remapped the flaps and I did it wrong, should be sorted now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Brakes!?

I can trap and approach the carrier pretty well. Flaps, Hook and drop gear. I also noticed in some real Hornet videos on you tube which modes those guys have their display units in. I can select a way point and in my display system I can see the angle I need to be to line up straight with the landing strip. But my problem is my darn wheel brakes! I then fold the wings and attempt to taxi to the air craft elevator and my jet won't stop rolling!!!:helpsmilie:

"Right over the side! Splash! I have some MFG Crosswinds. I attempt to program it in settings.

Can someone help me with this? I don't seem to have any brakes.

How do u call the ball on the ship? I request landing and have just been landing? Am I missing something?

The ball is always there but u have to have the right angle and the right alignment to able to see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do u call the ball on the ship? I request landing and have just been landing? Am I missing something?

Specific carrier comms aren't implemented yet. Not sure what the plan is for them.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Whats crazy for me is that I can land without using the ball, but if I attempt to use the ball, I struggle big time. My main issue is controlling my vertical speed.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Whats crazy for me is that I can land without using the ball, but if I attempt to use the ball, I struggle big time. My main issue is controlling my vertical speed.
For me vertical speed is controlled by small increment and decrement of power. Move the throttle up a bit and back again a bit.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Calling Da Ball!

The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.

AMRAM 120 slammers! :thumbup:

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as f:joystick:ar as approaching the Carrier.

The Ball is simple. Run between 180 to 200 mph. About 150 ft above the water...bring it in. The ball in my cockpit lights up orange then it can spike a touch or red, but green is more of a threat. if it's green ya need to move faster and your probably descending more than we think when it lights up green. I'm looking forward to the AGM-65 Maverick with FLIR pod.

AMRAM 120 slammers! :thumbup:

Now I sure don't want to come across as Mr. Know it all, cause "I ain't"! But I think after all these years of Janes FA18 E , US Navy Fighters, Flanker, LOMAC, FC and now DCS... Now that we have something so much more to perfection and so well done, I don't think much has changed as f:joystick:ar as approaching the Carrier.

That's not the ball, that's the AOA indexer. The ball is on the boat.

Takes a lot of practice. I ran into the same issue as others. First few days I was on the boat no problem, never crashed. Yesterday I was smacking into it all day. So I stopped after a while and will try again.

My biggest issue is getting trimmed up to level flight after the break. Trim is pretty slow so it all has to be done very quickly. Then once im trimmed out I end up plummeting down on the final groove turn. I add power and try not to use the stick but sometimes it doesn't work like I plan it.

Best thing is not to overcompensate trim up as you drop flaps and gear because you will need to add power to stop from sinking nose down and power will make your nose pitch up so if you trim up too much then you end up needing to trim down then up again. Lots to do in those last 15-20 seconds after the break.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz