Exhaust Flame

mjolner

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, did'nt find anything on cursory search.

Every fathers day we head to the Olympic Airshow in Washington state and a usual sight is a Mig-15 that I believe is part of the museum collection. Probably not all original.

Anyway, when I first saw it fly I was impressed by the clearly visible jet of flame from the exhaust nozzle.

Just curious as to why it is not present in the Belsimtek variant? Or am I just witnessing an effect added for airshow wow factor?

Would be just a warm fuzzy to see that in external view. Or even from the Cockpit of the F-86 as the Mig zooms by.

• Like 1

Actually, The flame you are referring to also happens on the Mig-15 that was based here in YBRK (Rockhampton)

Before it was sold to a buyer in the South.

It looked like a horizontal candle burning until the turbine spooled up and the gases became to much for the oxygen to keep the flame alight. Hard to explain unless you saw it

Edited by Winfield_Gold

Was it a Mig-15 or 17? Not sure if the 15 has reheat/afterburner. I know the 17 does.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Mjolner, are You sure it wasn't a -17? I would hazard a guess that was the case. There are a couple of them flying in You country and low fly-bys with afterburner on (distinctive nozzle flame, unlike the one in modern fighters) are almost mandatory during airshows.

The only time a -15 can throw some flame out is on startup or when it's about to crash ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.