Specular lightning/reflections for Su-25T

Dr_Arrow

I do not know if this gets noticed, but our Su-25T does not have any reflective surface on its skins - while the Su-25A has. Would it be possible to update somehow at least the default skin with a specular map to get a bit of shining effect, is there someone who could do it?. Without it, the aircraft looks flat compared to other FC3 aircraft. Thanks a lot for any help!

OK, I solved it. After a lot of investigation I've found that Su-39 is nice and shiny. So I found out that by copying the *.json file of Su-39 to Su-25T, the T-Frog will also get some shiny/metallic effects - much better than the previous version and in line with other aircraft models. See screenshot:

Screen_181023_165305.thumb.jpg.0f6f1059ba4cb791d25a0d24e9266127.jpg

looks nice .. pity that I couldnt find the .json file you are referring to :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It is in \Bazar\World\Shapes\su-39.edm.json and copy it over \Bazar\World\Shapes\su-25T.edm.json (of course back-up Su25T.edm.json first)

Thanks, will try it out and if it works, will add it as a Mod to prevent it being overwritten during dcs updates :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 weeks later...
OK, I solved it. After a lot of investigation I've found that Su-39 is nice and shiny. So I found out that by copying the *.json file of Su-39 to Su-25T, the T-Frog will also get some shiny/metallic effects - much better than the previous version and in line with other aircraft models. See screenshot:

[ATTACH]196508[/ATTACH]

Wonder if there is some way to just use the standard external specular map, like for example with the F-5E-3
description.lua

has content like

{"F-5E3_nose", 2 ,"f-5e3_nose_cap_spec",false};
{"F-5E3_nose", 0 ,"f-5e3_nose_cap",false};

where 2 is a slot for the specular map file (green & pink image). But when I try the same thing in an Su-25T file

{"fuz-center", 2, "SU39-fuz-center-PAINT1-DEF-01-SPEC", false},
{"fuz-center", 0, "SU39-fuz-center-PAINT1-DEF-01", false},

Nothing changes. Even if I make an error or leave the specular image file out, there's no "missing texture" default texture when viewed in modelviewer. I'd like to make a few shiny skins for some friends but don't really want to mod their DCS install besides just dropping a new livery in savedgames.

I looked at the *.json files for the Su-25T, Su-39, and F-5E-3. While I see why overwriting the Su-25T one with Su-39 info changes lighting, that just makes slight specular lighting changes without using an external specular map file. The content of the F-5E-3 json doesn't seem helpful.

I think what is happening here is that the DCS Su-25T model does not support an external specular map. For models that do support an external specular map, inside their *.edm files are references to

specMapValue

but the edm file for the Su-25T does not contain this entry, just a bunch of

specPower
specFactor

entries, which are likely just global lighting values and do not allow for pixel-level specular values. I'm no 3DS Max or model expert, but I guess the Su-25T model is very basic and hasn't been updated in a while. Even the freely included TF-51 includes external specular map support...