Intel vulnerability fix = huge performance drop ?

Hello everyone !

I have quite a fast computer :

Processor : i7 7700k

Graphics : 1080Ti

RAM : 32GB @ 3200 MHz

Hard drive : 525GB M.2

Monitor : Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 pixels (connected via DisplayPort)

Control : TrackIR 5 + Saitek X52

When I play missions with some AI elements (not sure how many, missions are part of the "Ultimate Argument" campaign), display is closer to a powerpoint slideshow than to a smooth experience.

Graphics setting are set at "high" auto settings.

Not sure if that is related to the latest intel fix that might slow down computers ?

Is what I am experiencing "normal" ?

Maybe 2.5 will solve this ?

If I remember correctly, it wasn't like that before. I did not play with a lot of AI though.

Help is appreciated :)

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

Yes, stock windows 10.

No for XPM, never heard of it. I will look into it.

As for DCS, forgot to mention that, absolutely no mods, all original.

Warthog + Pro Flight

The performance hit is still very much unknown. As well is that no one is using those vulnerabilities at the moment.

The security fix will have a different impacts at different generation processors and motherboards and windows combinations.

You can have a over 30% impact for servers, as that is the critical part where business servers are running a unchecked programs code from all customers. While then there is no impact or reason to fix anything in Cisco servers using those same Intel processors because Cisco doesn't allow any third party code executed, so no risk nor harm.

For average computer user, the software that has very heavy I/O (Input/Output) for storage drives, will have big impact. Like image or video editing. But games, not so much on 7-8th gen Intel CPU.

But even Intel has hinted a "one digit performance hit" and that can mean anything from 9 to 1% difference. If you are at 1-5% hit category, you will not notice it until you are benchmarking all days along CPU running 100%.

Ie. If you now get a FPS 40-45 then a 5% performance hit is 2-2.5 frames lost. Is it a lot? No...

If you render a video and it takes 8min 15 seconds to render, then 5% impact is extending your rendering time to 8min 38 seconds... Extra 24 seconds. Does that sound a lot? No....

The real problem is really for those who has weak mind and are afraid that their CPU is no much slower, without doing the own tests based what generation CPU and what their requirements are! And then those who are running a server business, as suddenly you really are talking about 30% if not 40% performance hit and it raises costs up same amount.

But older intel CPU starts to go lower performance quickly if already on limits before patch.

And the patch to work, you need to update BIOS and the Windows.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Flow, concerning the intel fix, intel had published some times ago some resuts about office productivity, creating productivity, and gaming :

http://www.comptoir-hardware.com/images/popup.php/?Benchmarks_Intel_apr%C3%A8s-patch/stories/_cpu/14nm_intel/intel-meltdown-spectre-postpatch-benchmarks.jpg

For gaming, with modern fast intel cpu (>= i7 6700k so same for 7700K/8700K) the gaming perf goes from 100% to 101% (sys benchmark variation +/- 3%) so no big concern there.

XMP is a profile you enable in your bios so the 3200Mhz ram runs at 3200Mhz. If not enabled it runs at std DDR4 speed (2133Mhz) if I don't mistake.

Merci toutenglisse :)

OK thank you, so nothing dramatic.

My RAM does run at 3200 MHz when I checked in windows with a tool that I cannot remember the name of. I did enable it in the RAM when I built my computer.

So what is your opinion about my specs and running DCS at "high" settings in AI missions ? Should it run well ? Because that is clearly not the case :)

Warthog + Pro Flight

Hard to tell, I have ultimate argument but still did not go very far in it, but no performances problem.

The on ly time I experienced "slide show" with my hardware was with a "crash test" mission I created with more than 250 units ....

Maybe tell what is the mission where you experienced the problem I can try (and tell if you used Rift or screen)

Using screen, not rift as I am just not able to spot aircrafts with it.

Rift is 100% unplugged.

Using TrackIR though if that makes a difference.

In the Ultimate Argument campaign, every mission starting from Mineralnye Vody is perfectly OK, but once you are starting from Gudauta things get ugly (mission 10 I believe). I believe there are really a lot of units involved.

Warthog + Pro Flight

Hi again Flow,

I've just tried the Ultimate Argument mission 10 - departure from Gudata.

I used my 1080p screen and put settings to max - for everything exept "civilian traffic" to off and "field of view" (effects for external views) to off. Vsync on (60Hz) and full screen.

Everything was OK. Here a picture of afterburner monitoring showing the part of mission I went through (I stopped after shooting down the group of helicopters in the mountains attacking mates on ground) - mostly 60fps (so I think there is Something wrong on your side - did you try without the TrackiR ?)

A + !

Also, there were folks who had a lot of issues because with USB (devices). But there were some ground units (some SAM I think) that caused DCS to stutter terribly. If you check out the "Game Performance" thread (ED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS World 1.5 & 2.0 Open Alpha » 1.5 Open Beta Bugs and Problems » Game Performance) 1.5 and 2.x, you should be able to find them.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thank you for your input all !

I updated my BIOS last night, activated "game mode" that overclocks the CPU to 4.8 GHz, and made sure XPM was on. RAM is showing 3200 MHz.

The computer has only windows 10 and 2 games installed, no crapware or anything else that might keep the CPU busy.

I'll look into it in more details when I get a chance.

Warthog + Pro Flight

Not all PC's I fixed like the patch, some make stupid things since.

BTW, Intel pulled the update ! A new ones is being tested. Reason is that the reboot-bug haunts CPU's up to KabyLake, not only Haswell or Ivy, no no, new ones too !

What a nightmare

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Also exist problem with some very old missions of DCS 2.0. When playing some old missions, you have FPS freezes. That's why tests should be runs only on new missions. Sorry my English.

i5-4670/3,4Ghz/16GB DDR3/64xWin7/GTX1070/2xHDD RAID-0/1080p/Своп на отдельном харде

I ran your mission with high settings and got 186 FPS pretty constant. Trying to record caused some freezing due to a poor performing SSD

attachment.php?attachmentid=175953&d=1515671514

This was run at 4.7Ghz because I don't think a 5.2 overclock was representative of most builds

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where are we?

Not all PC's I fixed like the patch, some make stupid things since.

BTW, Intel pulled the update ! A new ones is being tested. Reason is that the reboot-bug haunts CPU's up to KabyLake, not only Haswell or Ivy, no no, new ones too !

What a nightmare

It benefits us ,due to your line of work, that you stay on top on this issue and share with us. I have the Windows update fix but since I have such a dated CPU (Devils canyon) will either Intel or ASUS (my mother board) even put out a fix for such dated equipment.? Just asking your opinion. I have been considering a new system for some time, but the $$$ are just not available at the moment, plus the costs associated with the latest GPU going off the chart, I am suspecting I will be stuck with my current system for awhile yet. It does fairly well with everything DCS has thrown at it, but of course the unknown is what happens when I start with the newer 2.5 iteration. Appreciate all you bring to this forum.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

It benefits us ,due to your line of work, that you stay on top on this issue and share with us. I have the Windows update fix but since I have such a dated CPU (Devils canyon) will either Intel or ASUS (my mother board) even put out a fix for such dated equipment.? Just asking your opinion. I have been considering a new system for some time, but the $$$ are just not available at the moment, plus the costs associated with the latest GPU going off the chart, I am suspecting I will be stuck with my current system for awhile yet. It does fairly well with everything DCS has thrown at it, but of course the unknown is what happens when I start with the newer 2.5 iteration. Appreciate all you bring to this forum.

Chief,

I really think, imho, any 4000er series wil remain as it is. I personally dont expet neither Asus, MSI or Asrock to fix any pre-Z170 board, nor do I think Intel cares.

It really sucks, for example, that Asus AI-Suite wont run anymore on older boards, many many users need it to control Fans or OC.

Volkswagen was beaten to death for their DieselGate, Intel is even worse imho and needs a "doodoo !"

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I run a srv based on a 5820k, Asus X99-WS/IPMI, I dont think it will ever get a fix.

Might as well take that thing and T H R O W it out of the window ;)

I hope the T330 Dell Srv gets an update, it's Xeon, "ONLY" 2 years old, we will see how they value customers.

AMD does have nice daughters too, no need to only look at Intel.

Edited by BitMaster