Requesting CMAA support for VR performance

FoxTwo

?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

?

CMAA (Conservative Morphological AA) and SMAA (Subpixel Morphological AA) are both different types of Post-Process Anti-Aliasing (PPAA).

Post-Process Anti-Aliasing is generally way less performance heavy than classical AA like MSAA (Multi Sampling) or SSAA (Super Sampling).

*i mixed up SMAA and MSAA in my previous post, but corrected it.

Edited by twistking

You can turn on FXAA in the nvidia options and it works.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You can turn on FXAA in the nvidia options and it works.

good to know! thanks.

i think there should still be some ppaa options in the dcs settings though. adding ppaa to a game, is generally not much work, since those effects are free to use (as far as i know) and post process only. biggest effort may very well be the UI integration itself...

CMAA (Conservative Morphological AA) and SMAA (Subpixel Morphological AA) are both different types of Post-Process Anti-Aliasing (PPAA).

Post-Process Anti-Aliasing is generally way less performance heavy than classical AA like MSAA (Multi Sampling) or SSAA (Super Sampling).

*i mixed up SMAA and MSAA in my previous post, but corrected it.

* reference to msaa prompted the question :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Works yes, which is the problem. FXAA blurs everything, CMAA is designed to keep text sharp.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/conservative-morphological-anti-aliasing-cmaa-update

When integrated into games, FXAA is often bundled with a sharpening filter, that brings back some of the clarity.

SMAA and CMAA are still better options though and from my experience they really shine when combined with a smal amount of super-sampling.

For VR i would assume that 1.3 Pixel Density and SMAA (or CMAA) could give you 2*MSAA levels of smoothness with less a hit on performance.

Also, if the DCS engine is not fundementaly different to common graphic engines, implementation of different PPAA options should be very straightforward.

Turn off MSAA and just use SSAA x1.5

Literally does nothing in VR. Pixel density is the setting that impacts render resolution in VR.

The game needs a good, relatively GPU inexpensive post processing AA. Whether it's FXAA that ignores HUD elements and runs a sharpening filter, CMAA, or SMAA (or all of the above because choices are good).

Until 2 days ago I've been running DCS on 2x MSAA and 1.5 PD (Rift VR). All Nvidia stuff on App controlled. There was some occasional micro stutter and the clarity was barely acceptable. Then I decided to update my rig's bios and just for the hell of it I put the CPU in "game mode" and mem in XMS (@3600). CPU is i9-7900x:glare: Next, I put pixel density at 2.0... turned off MSAA and forced IPD at 50 (makes it really look life size!). I'm not going back to anything else! After clearing metashaders2 and fxo there was barely perceptible occasional stutter in Caucasus theater (all sliders maxed) in busy areas. On following flights I barely noticed any stutter.

There is a little bit of weird shimmer on some tall buildings at some distance but compared to hazy MSAA... looks a lot better.

Works yes, which is the problem. FXAA blurs everything, CMAA is designed to keep text sharp.

CMAA_Fig15.png

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/conservative-morphological-anti-aliasing-cmaa-update

I know the difference. But all you get is FXAA. Use it if you want or not.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I thought FXAA did not work in VR?

It does. Just try it on the nvidia control panel. Makes a decent difference in VR if you dont supersample or use msaa.

I wasn't asking for FXAA, this is the wishlist forum.

Why are you here?

Trying to provide helpful alternatives in the meantime. Im sure ED will get right on it and you'll see it implemented in 2 short weeks.

• 1 year later...

Please consider adding CMAA method of antialiasing.

The goals are:
1) Reduce jaggies
2) Minimize GPU impact
3) Minimize blur of cockpit gauges and text
Basically it's better than FXAA with the same goals.

There are (license) free, open source samples available for both DirectX and OpenGL.

(I've integrated both FXAA and CMAA into software I develop for both DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.5.
So I know how much effort is involved and what the limitations are. Happy to answer questions if devs want to PM me.)

Of course ED may be working on even better post processing anti aliasing methods and not telling us yet?

Why mention now? A lot of us use SMAA and begrudgingly accept the performance hit. FXAA (no longer present in DCS?) is just too blurry on the gauges. No AA sure is faster but oh my eyes for many high contrast scenes! Post processing AA is a great compromise, and worst case, can be applied to the final image if not just one compositing pass.

Edited by DimSim