Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

How is the inside out tracking sitting in front of a hotas? Any issues?

Not while sat at the desk. Though my controllers had a few issues, but I was messing with the passthrough camera at the time, then the whole thing crashed at minute later. Tracking otherwise seems great.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get the map DDI readable by leaning forward a bit, or would you need to be a yoga guru to use it comfortably?

If you use the VR zoom button then ye, it's readable. I usually use that for DDI for other things, as I find the map pointless.

You can immediately tell how much clearer the graphics are from Home - as soon as the image comes up for the first time, everything is so much sharper.

Even without my VR lenses (which I only actually need for the left eye) it's so much better than Rift CV1.

Set-up takes a couple of minutes, if that - you could probably do it quicker if you cancelled the usual stuff like First Contact.

All I did was unplug CV1 and plug in S - quick firmware update for the headset, followed by one for Touch and draw the boundary - which I'm finding much better than the original one - and that's it.

Have had some hand tracking issues - which was weird, as my hands were in front of the headset, about where your cockpit controls would be (the closer ones). Only lasted one or two seconds.

So far I'm very impressed.

Sound is total pants, mind.

Sounding very promising thanks - anxiously awaiting delivery here.

I got the Klipsch R6 II earbuds sitting here awaiting the Rift S - hopefully it will be ok for me. If the sound is close to as good as with them plugged into my MB sound jack, I will be pleased.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On its way!

Mine is on its way, ETA is tomorrow by 9pm. Original schedule was for Thursday and I had the day off to make sure I receive it... Thanks for the early delivery Amazon but now I gotta sit and pray that no one sees my package just sitting on my door step for 8 hours while Im at work. :( :doh:

Looking forward to hearing all the results, reviews and tips today. :)

Mine Rift S is a day early too from Oculus I changed delivery to the local UPS store as it requires signature. I was charged Friday and got the notification yesterday ended up being 1 day delivery.

Thanks for the updates fellas sounds really good looking forward to this evening now.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Yay mine just arrived, woohoo!!

Never thought I would see it this early today.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Man I never thought I would consider the S but all these early good impressions have me really considering it as an upgrade. I especially wasn't expecting such reports of increased clarity. Please post more positive impressions to push me over the edge and I have a new headset to play with :P

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Definitely far better graphics in DCS World 2.5. My main issue so far is that, with the far smaller nose gap, condensation is much more diffcult to clear.

I have a 16" stand fan behind me and with CV1 it kept the lenses clear and myself cool - it now has no effect on the lenses.

I also tried the various covers - VR Lens Labs/Covers versions (I have 3 different ones) are no good and the Widmo is equally useless on the S.

If the VR interface pads from Gauss had had the hooks on the pads instead of the interfaces, it may have been possible to stick them to the foam.

Oh well - have to wait for some company or other to come up with something. Might try double-sided tape in the meantime.

I also can't get the VR Lens Labs lenses to stay in position over the headset lenses. I have some with a headband coming - they should be okay. Think they'll be here tomorrow, as they didn't arrive today.

***PS - I forgot about the PD. Unlike with the Rift CV1, it didn't come up- with a proper lens set-up option during setting up the headset - I had to go into settings afterwards and set up the IPD and the options for the passthrough etc.

As they wwere, the IPD was 63.5 and my eyes began aching within a couple of minutes (I didn't report it earlier because I've got a concussion atm and thought it was that - it isn't). Now I have tried 69 and 71mm it's fine. I'm officially 69mm, but I preferred the CV1 at maximum.

PPS: I am positive the FoV is smaller - noticably so.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

And for those of us concerned about running the S on lower-grade systems , the VR optimisation update is just around the corner :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3918703&postcount=19

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

And for those of us concerned about running the S on lower-grade systems , the VR optimisation update is just around the corner :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3918703&postcount=19

HAHA riiiight. Just like cockpit updates and other misc upgrades to existing modules are right around the corner :music_whistling:

I may stop by microcenter otw home today to grab one of these but still not sure it's really worth it from a clarity perspective compared to my cv1. If it's going to destroy frames then I'll pass.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Just flown around with my new Rift S for a good 2 Hours. First a bit in the Hornet and then the F86 in the museum relic campaign.

Overall its a massive improvement to my DK2 (as it should be compared to that old thing), but I can only echo what Wags stated at the beginning: Reading stuff in the cockpit is easy although not crystal clear (mind you im running 1.2PD) Spotting the ball behind the boat is no issue and makes landing a ton easier. I immediately noticed in the F86 Mission how much further away I was able to spot targets making me finally turn the labels off.

Compared to the DK2 I also noticed much greater Immersion, where as previously it could sometimes feel like I was flying above a miniature world, the scale in the S felt correct. This combined with the better clarity makes Landing a whole lot easier.

I know comparing to the DK2 is probably not what most people are looking for but I thought I'd write down my thoughts anyways. Happy flying

HAHA riiiight. Just like cockpit updates and other misc upgrades to existing modules are right around the corner :music_whistling:

I may stop by microcenter otw home today to grab one of these but still not sure it's really worth it from a clarity perspective compared to my cv1. If it's going to destroy frames then I'll pass.

Well , i can't fault a guy who lives in a trash can for being cynical :) But this is happening , and very soon .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Feeling very good about all the positive feedback so far!

Mines been delivered to work...on my way there now. If only I didn’t have to do the show as well:music_whistling:

Gods of technical theatre - please bless us with a power cut and cancel tonight’s performance :helpsmilie:

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Feeling very good about all the positive feedback so far!

Mines been delivered to work...on my way there now. If only I didn’t have to do the show as well:music_whistling:

Gods of technical theatre - please bless us with a power cut and cancel tonight’s performance :helpsmilie:

I don't know where you are, but outta coming forth here, with thunder..

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Definitely far better graphics in DCS World 2.5. My main issue so far is that, with the far smaller nose gap, condensation is much more diffcult to clear.

I have a 16" stand fan behind me and with CV1 it kept the lenses clear and myself cool - it now has no effect on the lenses.

Have you considered anti-fogging solutions such as 'sea-drop'? I used to use something similar on my respirator in the army many years ago and it always preventing lens misting.

A small pie is soon eaten

Got mine all hooked up and played around in Oculus Home a bit.

Definitely an improvement over CV1. Better image clarity - not huge but better. So far tracking for me has been solid.

And these Klipsch R6 II earbuds I ordered for the new Rift S - Sweet!

Sound is very good, better than CV1 earphones or earbuds.

Off for a spin over Normandy in the Spit.

Don B

Are you still having to lean in at all? Is it a good interim before the the Index?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I dont have one, but there are several reviews that state that you really need to push it against your face to have a nice sweetspot. And do not mess around with the button that separate the lenses from the main body of the visor.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

So my experience with high res hmd is that in dcs the aliasing is horrible and have to run way to high of pixel density to fight it. Rift s owners what is your experience with this?

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

At least MSAAx2 is a must, high resolution or not. PD alone won't fix it unless you crank it very high (effectively turning it into SSAA).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ok plugged mine in and the ball is definitely easier to see 3 wire 1st time with no zoom required so happy but.

Where is the ipd adjustment and where do I turn off boundary as my seat is outside the area

Ok found the ipd adjustment now just guardian on off required

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Edited by WindyTX

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses