F-18 center screen

Tango777

I posted this in the Belsimtek sub-forum here but no response as of yet. The question is:

The control stick obscures a screen in the F-18. So if someone like me does not have track-ir, is that going to be a problem?

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

... sniped

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The reason I put my first post in the Belsimtek forum is because they are the partner developer.

Anywho there are kinda 2 different answers here. I like the second answer from SyntaxError much better.

Thank you Syntax!

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

who is stoping you to use tracknoir with IR leds/webcam ? I used it for a year now with every damn game, spot on and no big load on cpu. its like flying with hotas versus keyboard and mouse :))

Su34 & F111 a dream fullfilled in fsx...[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 5600, 1050ti, 16 GVram, win10 , TM W hotas&rudder, waiting for 1060/1070 price fall or a new gpu family..f*&9 miners :)

who is stoping you to use tracknoir with IR leds/webcam ? I used it for a year now with every damn game, spot on and no big load on cpu. its like flying with hotas versus keyboard and mouse :))

Thank you. I did not know Track Noir existed. I just looked at their website and am encouraged.

I had Track-Ir for about 3 days. It was overly sensitive beyond belief. A slight tilt of my head and I was outside the cockpit. Looking down no more than 15 degrees had me looking at the floor or thru the floor. A tech support guy from Track-Ir screenshared with me on the phone for over 2 hours adjusting every point in their software and tried adjusting sensitivity settings, and he finally gave up. He apologized and suggested that I send it in for a refund, so I did just that.

Thank you. I did not know Track Noir existed. I just looked at their website and am encouraged.

I had Track-Ir for about 3 days. It was overly sensitive beyond belief. A slight tilt of my head and I was outside the cockpit. Looking down no more than 15 degrees had me looking at the floor or thru the floor. A tech support guy from Track-Ir screenshared with me on the phone for over 2 hours adjusting every point in their software and tried adjusting sensitivity settings, and he finally gave up. He apologized and suggested that I send it in for a refund, so I did just that.

What version of Track IR? a modern one or one of the first versions?

Sounds like you just needed to try some other Track IR profiled till you found one that suited you tbh. Track IR is pretty infinitely adjustable to get it to behave in a way that suits you. Also remember that it definitely requires some learning on your behalf as well. You move your head a lot without noticing it so I can take some practice to get used to TrackIR, its not intuitive for most people out of the gate, but its excellent once you get used to it. It sounds like you didn't give it a fair chance.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Sounds like you just needed to try some other Track IR profiled till you found one that suited you tbh. Track IR is pretty infinitely adjustable to get it to behave in a way that suits you. Also remember that it definitely requires some learning on your behalf as well. You move your head a lot without noticing it so I can take some practice to get used to TrackIR, its not intuitive for most people out of the gate, but its excellent once you get used to it. It sounds like you didn't give it a fair chance.

Just wanted to second this advice - although even today I still see comical clips of people who use a head-tracker and they are doing owl impressions, almost breaking their neck looking left & right.

Oops. I said 3 days, and I meant 3 weeks. I had whatever the latest model of Track Ir was at the time back in December 2012.

The screen sharing session with Track Ir themselves said that I did everything regarding being patient because they said that in 3 weeks I should be used to it. The tech said that they had never seen anything like it. They also said in that 2+ hour session that they had tried everything in adjusting their software on my computer. I moved my head when instructed to do so, kept still at various angles, looked straight and static, etc.

i cant recommend enough this method that i explained the other day.

(funny enough, i made another one today because i broke my last lol).

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3338328#post3338328

No camera modding. Make it with stuff in ur house and a couple of things from the electric store.

pm if need help!!!

Edited by shonist

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Is it possible to hide the control stick in DCS?

Will it be possible to do this in F/A-18?

Until we see what ED say, we can only guess whether the F/A-18C will have the hide stick facility.

Bottom line is that some form of head tracking will really enhance your DCS World experience, and running without something effective is a real PITA.

I'd definitely aim at this kind of solution long term. You're paying a lot for the module, so to spoil the ship for a hap'eth of tar is simply not an option.

I am in for the more economical things that have been said here.

But when it comes to the more expensive peripherals like Track Ir, what about the more affordable Tobii EyeX for DCS? It looks like you don't have to be a statue when learning to adapt to it.

Until we see what ED say, we can only guess whether the F/A-18C will have the hide stick facility.

Bottom line is that some form of head tracking will really enhance your DCS World experience, and running without something effective is a real PITA.

I'd definitely aim at this kind of solution long term. You're paying a lot for the module, so to spoil the ship for a hap'eth of tar is simply not an option.

+1 for the better experience through Headtracking.

Bottom Line is that you will not be able to see that center MFD nicely even with Track IR as long as we dont know if you can hide the Stick in the F-18.

As you can see in every Plane with a Center Console, the P-51 for Example, Harrier and so on. You cant take a look at the switches without pulling the stick to the left or the right, which is totally fine as long as you are on the Ramp ;)

@Tango777

I dont know about the Track IR Alternative you are talking about but from my experience those alternatives always come with one or the other downside.

Depends on you if this is worth it.

MY personel suggestion for you is: go and buy a Track IR. Maybe one version older (Track IR 4) if you can get this that cheeper. But its in all cases worth the money. For DCS and of you play any other Games like Arma you will also have a much better experience.

Before i had Track IR i thought: why pend so much money on something you can do just with a Hat on the Stick, but since i have it i think "How could i play without it".

So i would suggest to buy Track IR and wait a bit longer for the F-18 until you have the money for it again than the other way around.

You know that those kind of trackers have curves where you can set up how much Input of your head movement represents how much output in the sim

FacetrackNoIR has it and so does OpenTrack. You can always build your own tracker as well

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Stick and center MFD

I have watched the pre-release videos of the F-18 and studied the screenshots carefully. Even if a person has Track IR or something equivalent to it....How can anyone view the center MFD?

If the question as to if there will be a hide stick option in the F-18 has been answered...Would someone please direct me to that thread?

I have watched the pre-release videos of the F-18 and studied the screenshots carefully. Even if a person has Track IR or something equivalent to it....How can anyone view the center MFD?

If the question as to if there will be a hide stick option in the F-18 has been answered...Would someone please direct me to that thread?

It is a good question. Just like how one can operate KA-50 weapons panel behind cyclic? Even in VR one needs go around to see and click them. Easier just bind them to HOTAS.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Binocular vision, i.e. VR. :pilotfly: The stick becomes transparent on account of the second eye which is not blocked.

Also, with default eyepoint (SnapView?) moved forward, or TrackIR forward movement, you can look down at the bottom MFD which is roughly between the pilot's knee's / arm's length. The default eye position I feel is usually too far back, probably to allow 2D users to see the side consoles.

Edited by Jack McCoy

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

A TAD a TAD my kingdom for..

I think I'm goin to miss my TAD, been spoilt in my A-10C for too long :smilewink:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉