Rockets and bombs?

The Mosquito, Typhoon and Beaufighter all carried RP-3 rockets. Only one Spitfire squadron experimented with them late in the war (and they carried only two on each plane).

And even those planes that carried them were quite ineffective:

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/04/ground-attack-aircraft-myth-of-the-tank-busters/

Let's keep our DCS Spit an accurate simulation, right?

Happy Holidays from The Grinch.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

The Mosquito, Typhoon and Beaufighter all carried RP-3 rockets. Only one Spitfire squadron experimented with them late in the war (and they carried only two on each plane).

And even those planes that carried them were quite ineffective:

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/04/ground-attack-aircraft-myth-of-the-tank-busters/

Let's keep our DCS Spit an accurate simulation, right?

Happy Holidays from The Grinch.

In all fairness, though, that might only be true for RAF Mk IX Spitfires.

The Spitfire never had rockets, and can only carry a single bomb in the center IIRC. If it can carry any bombs under the wings, they will only be very light 50lb-ers.

For WWII era, from what is available now, the P-51D would be the platform. It can carry 2x 500 lb. wing mounted bombs, or 12 HVAR 5" rockets, or a combination of them.

But IMHO they are both very difficult to use, because they have no active bombing or rocket-aiming-gun-sights-sight.

How you drop a bomb or fire a rocket (speed at release, AOA (angel of attack), altitude at release) all play a very lagre role in where hits are made compared to the sight picture.

If I get a hit within 5 meters of the target, I'm having a good day.

Your son might also have fun if you setup a mission using the target range script, or just a bunch of target-trucks scurrying about on the roads :)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The Spitfire never had rockets, and can only carry a single bomb in the center IIRC. If it can carry any bombs under the wings, they will only be very light 50lb-ers.

Wikipedia disagrees:

During early 1945, some Spitfire IXEs and XVIEs of 74 Squadron were fitted with a single RP-3 rocket under each wing. This was believed to be the only RAF Spitfire unit to use rockets operationally during the Second World War.[41]
That does mean the LF IX we have in DCS should definitely not have them though.

They can carry bombs however, with one rack under each wing carrying a 250lb bomb.

While I can't seem to find the picture now I'm fairly sure some postwar operators of the Mk IX Spitfire used rockets.

Ah, OK, I didn't understand your comment.

Here ya go, from 1949:

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

Wikipedia disagrees:

That does mean the LF IX we have in DCS should definitely not have them though.

They can carry bombs however, with one rack under each wing carrying a 250lb bomb.

I guess this is what happens when depending on a fading memory :(

My point was, the DCS P-51D we have carries more bombs and rockets at the same time conpared to the DCS Spitfire IX. I'm not even sure we'll ever get rockets on the Spitfire. Probably not I would guess.

Besides, the P-51D is a whole lot easier to fly :joystick:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

With the state of bomb / rockets blast effect simulation in DCS right now, I'm not quite sure hw usefull bomb spit could be....

I'd say, ED must implement proper bombs before adding them to WWII stuff

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16