Raven68

DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?

• 2.5 early release?
    • 2.5 open alpha?
    • 2.5 open beta?
    • 2.5 stable release?

I just wish the various versions get finally recombined into a single installation. Having multiple separate installation for each map is just a pita. When this started 1.5 years ago a left DCS for a while I thought, until it gets sorted out but since then it just got worse apparently with another version for Normandy. That's a bit mad.

Meanwhile I've been flying Xplane and waiting for the Hornet to come out at which point I will come back to DCS. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I just wish the various versions get finally recombined into a single installation. Having multiple separate installation for each map is just a pita. When this started 1.5 years ago a left DCS for a while I thought, until it gets sorted out but since then it just got worse apparently with another version for Normandy. That's a bit mad.

Meanwhile I've been flying Xplane and waiting for the Hornet to come out at which point I will come back to DCS. :pilotfly:

Actually the Normandy map is now integrated into 2.1. So Nevada and Normandy are both running on one installation. Personally I've uninstalled 1.5. Im flying 2.1 if that gets boring Ill just quit for a while and wait for 2.5. (2.5 is the version where Caucassus will be added)

Unfortunately with regards to how things are going, I too am a bit skeptical that we are going to get it this year. That's a delay of two years to what was originally planned. It is what it is though. Crying about it is not going to change anything.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Sorry, I didn't realize posting a single message in chitchat section after I've been out of these forums for pretty much a year (with a couple of exceptions) is considered crying. If there was one thing I'd be crying about it would be dynamic campaign because that one has been floating around the wishlist section for about 5 years now :-D Anyway, from what I understand the big unification is currently waiting for the default map update which I reckon will now become more prioritized after Normandy release so hopefully we will get nice single release before Hornet comes out. Needles to say that when Hornet comes out I will fly it day one no matter which version it needs :joystick:

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Sorry, I didn't realize posting a single message in chitchat section after I've been out of these forums for pretty much a year (with a couple of exceptions) is considered crying.

Sorry if you thought that comment was directed at you. My mistake with formating since I was quoting your post.

That part of the comment was directed at other forum regulars as well as myself. So, again sorry. My bad.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

No worries m8, I didn't take it seriously anyway. Somehow forum posts always come across more serious than people mean them. I just used it as an opportunity to poke the DC a little :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic. I guess we'll wait and see. I understand that they are not just converting the old map to new format but actually updating it to more modern standards which sounds nice (that's why it takes longer). btw did they mention if trees are going to be collidable in the updated version ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No worries m8, I didn't take it seriously anyway. Somehow forum posts always come across more serious than people mean them. I just used it as an opportunity to poke the DC a little :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic. I guess we'll wait and see. I understand that they are not just converting the old map to new format but actually updating it to more modern standards which sounds nice (that's why it takes longer). btw did they mention if trees are going to be collidable in the updated version ?

The new Caucasus version is completely redone to the same standards as Nevada and Normandy. Meaning high poly ground mesh, high detail buildings, roads and scenery textures, collidable trees, round "earth" projection (the current Caucasus is flat) etc.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The new Caucasus version is completely redone to the same standards as Nevada and Normandy. Meaning high poly ground mesh, high detail buildings, roads and scenery textures, collidable trees, round "earth" projection (the current Caucasus is flat) etc.

Could you point me to a post by any of the ED officials that stated this? I believe they only wanted to increase the mesh density of the terrain to more or less match Nevada's. Nothing was said about other assets like buildings and such...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Could you point me to a post by any of the ED officials that stated this? I believe they only wanted to increase the mesh density of the terrain to more or less match Nevada's. Nothing was said about other assets like buildings and such...

Without saying what has been done or has not, when you see it you'll realise why it took a while to do, and I'm sure most people will be impressed, pleased, feel that what was promised was delivered, and that the changes deliver what feels like a new map (though of course not some - some people are temperamentally incapable of being pleased with anything E.D. does :-).

Cheers.

On page 5 of DCS World Weekend News thread the 08/19/2016 post shows some of the changes with trees and terrain.

There was a picture or two comparing buildings somewhere but can't find it.

On page 5 of DCS World Weekend News thread the 08/19/2016 post shows some of the changes with trees and terrain.

There was a picture or two comparing buildings somewhere but can't find it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2878286&postcount=44

I can't find the building pics, but here is the post you referenced. DCS 2.5 pics are about halfway down the post.

-Nick

DCS World 2.5 is still on track to be available in 2016
-Eagle Dynamics

:(

Seriously though. Updating Caucassus to the new format is a huge undertaking. Humongous! I can't stress how big it is really. For one thing every single mission and campaign for every single module will probably have to be redone, if they are projecting onto a curved map, this is a certainty.

I for one hope they are sticking to the flat map, for this one reason alone.

• ED Team
Am I the only one REALLY looking forward to the 2.5, (almost) as much as I look forward to the Hornet? I always found the lack of sceneries in DCS disturbing...

Regards!

You are not the only one, I cant wait to get 2.5 behind us and move forward.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

-Eagle Dynamics

Seriously though. Updating Caucassus to the new format is a huge undertaking. Humongous! I can't stress how big it is really. For one thing every single mission and campaign for every single module will probably have to be redone, if they are projecting onto a curved map, this is a certainty.

As far as what would be a realistic release, I have no idea...

But as far as it being a huge project, yes but I think you need to also review the pics of the updated caucuses that came out last year. A lot of progress was made.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

Am I the only one REALLY looking forward to the 2.5, (almost) as much as I look forward to the Hornet? I always found the lack of sceneries in DCS disturbing...

Regards!

Of course not mate, the new Caucasus shoud be the number one priority, mainly because Nevada (wich is a great map) can only be used as a test range or just for doing some free flight, and Normandy is designed for completely different planes and timeline, without the Caucasus, the Hornet is almost useless as a weapon plataform or just use it to perform combat missions. Not to mention the HUGE advantage of finally have all the assets under one product.

I really hope 2.5 to be released before the Hornet, and I think it will, but will it be this year? I´m not so sure :(

-Eagle Dynamics

I do believe it was said that the new map format (which Nevada and Normandy uses) uses round maps. And given that they redo the whole map, I wouldn't think it took any longer to make. Besides, to my understanding ED want's to get rid of the old map format (nothing said on this publicly, just my educated guess). I would also assume that the multiple-map system is built to only support the new map type, which is why you can't play or add Caucasus to 2.1... The change of map type also would affect certain calculations in the sim I would imagine.

So the only way to have a unified version of DCS is to have the Caucasus in the new, round format. Besides it is more realistic.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

I have a vague memory in my head that higher detail buildings were to be added, but here are the rest: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

Though you can kind of read between the lines that at least some buildings will be remade. At the very least building textures are remade.

EDIT: by looking at the pictures in the post above, it does seem to me, like the buildings have a new mesh. Although this might very well be an illusion caused by the updated textures. Wags has also said that the trees in the New Caucasus will be collidable just as the ones in Normandy are, though

I didn't yet find the post where he said it.

EDIT: Not stated explicitly of Caucasus, but Wags states that trees will be collidable for all future maps:

if the timestamp doesn't work, fastforward to 6:36.
Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

New Caucasus Map. Based on the existing map in DCS World 1.5, we are working on a huge update that will include:

• Improved textures for all seasons
  • Improved and higher resolution ground elevation mesh
  • Improved ground object textures for buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, etc.
  • Adding terrain shadows based on time of day
  • New tree system for more and better-looking forests
  • Additional map area in the southern portion of the map
  • Added procedural grass

Additional map area has gotten my attention now...

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Additional map area has gotten my attention now...

And now the new building models are confirmed as well...

I would imagine the new area may be a partof Turkeys north shore... That would add a lot of gameplay value to the map similarly as adding the southern Britain to the Normandy map did.

I have a vague memory in my head that higher detail buildings were to be added, but here are the rest: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

Though you can kind of read between the lines that at least some buildings will be remade. At the very least building textures are remade.

EDIT: by looking at the pictures in the post above, it does seem to me, like the buildings have a new mesh. Although this might very well be an illusion caused by the updated textures. Wags has also said that the trees in the New Caucasus will be collidable just as the ones in Normandy are, though

I didn't yet find the post where he said it.

EDIT: Not stated explicitly of Caucasus, but Wags states that trees will be collidable for all future maps:

if the timestamp doesn't work, fastforward to 6:36.

Thanks for that, the very point I was looking for!!

I noticed some really nice wave effects in WAGS new video of the F-18 that I cant seem to replicate in 2.1 Normandy. I assume that the carrier landing was performed in Normandy but maybe in 2.5. Or maybe I'm missing something, I've tried adding wind in the ME but cant seem to get the same effects.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I noticed some really nice wave effects in WAGS new video of the F-18 that I cant seem to replicate in 2.1 Normandy. I assume that the carrier landing was performed in Normandy but maybe in 2.5. Or maybe I'm missing something, I've tried adding wind in the ME but cant seem to get the same effects.

Matt may have been using a later build of 2.1??

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals