ACM BORE range

Gianky

Hey there!

The manual says that ACM Bore mode has a range of 20 NM, but all other sources I've seen say the block 50 has an ACM bore range of 10 NM, like all others ACM modes.

That begs the following questions: is it just a typo in the manual? Is the actual range of Bore mode in game 10 nm or 20? And which one should it be, for a RL block 50 Falcon?

I'm no expert, but the PDF manual says that the Amraam's range can be upwards of 20 nm depending on relative velocity, and can be less than 10nm depending on other factors. I would assume that the 20nm figure depends on whether the target is bugged/tracked or just fired upon "maddog" style. I would also assume relative starting altitude makes a big difference as well.

I'm no expert, but the PDF manual says that the Amraam's range can be upwards of 20 nm depending on relative velocity, and can be less than 10nm depending on other factors. I would assume that the 20nm figure depends on whether the target is bugged/tracked or just fired upon "maddog" style. I would also assume relative starting altitude makes a big difference as well.

Hey Syndrome, I wasn't talking about the AMRAAM range, but the range at which radar can get a lock in BORE mode.

All the sources I've seen talk about 10 nm as range for the BORE mode, anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait for the next update and see what happens. It's very good to have faster lockon times.

Hey Syndrome, I wasn't talking about the AMRAAM range, but the range at which radar can get a lock in BORE mode.

All the sources I've seen talk about 10 nm as range for the BORE mode, anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait for the next update and see what happens. It's very good to have faster lockon times.

Ah sorry, new to DCS, I assumed that bore/slave in the instance of these ranges only applied to fox 3 missiles like the AMRAAM. Never tried to fire a sidewinder outside of 5-10nm before. Is that a thing?

In certain models of F-16 the ACM BORE range scale can be set as high as 40nm. I don't know if that includes the one in DCS nor if being able to set the scale that high on the MFD changes anything about the lock range. It also raises the question how such distances can be useful. In some models the bore can be slewed in x and y, slaved to TGP LOS, and possibly this long range BORE is useful when directing at some kind of datalink target.

For ACM modes that are limited to 10nm, that's not a comment one way or the other on the actual performance of the radar. The radar can see targets >10nm for example in 30x20 but will reject them. Alternatively a stealthy target can be <10nm and not detected.

Frederf, thank you for the reply, cleared things up for me (just like the one you gave on the thread about bomb loadout, didn't have time to thank you there, at the time, then I forgot! :P)

Syndrome, I'd say you can try to launch a SW at 5/10 NM, against a closing non maneuvering targets, surely not in a dogfight. Anyway, I was talking about radar performances, regardless of the missiles you have selected.