Really not understanding the TGP controls.

Wingnutt270

I followed this video:

And it makes sense right up until I try to actually bomb something.

I cannot control the TGP when in AG mode, it just follows the CCIP.

when NOT in AG mode I can set it as SOI and slew it with the radar cursor controls just fine... with he exception that the box indicating where its looking stays in the middle of the hud no matter where I'm pointing it, making it very difficult to use in general.

So even if I somehow manage to get the pod pointed at something, as soon as i switch to A-G it jumps off of the target and goes to CCIP..

What am I missing here? what is that video leaving out?

You have to use ccrp to slew tpod.

And you have to have a valid waypoint selected, which it will currently unrealistically slew around.

Use tms down twice to recenter the tpod.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You have to use ccrp to slew tpod.

And you have to have a valid waypoint selected, which it will currently unrealistically slew around.

Use tms down twice to recenter the tpod.

Yeah, I didn't think that was working correctly. The waypoint/TGT should not be slewed around with the pod like that. I assume that is a know bug?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yeah, I didn't think that was working correctly. The waypoint/TGT should not be slewed around with the pod like that. I assume that is a know bug?

Not so much a bug as just not working correctly yet. The TGP is supposed to operate with offset to the slaved waypoint. It's been reported, ED knows it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

We like to use the term "known feature" until it actually gets fixed. :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Not so much a bug as just not working correctly yet.

Some would say that is the very definition of a bug :lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yup, pretty much the exact definition :D

"A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

I meant that it's working as it was supposed to work. I see a bug as an unintentionally created issue in the code. This is not a bug, by my definition, it's just a limited implementation. But fair enough :lol:

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Ok I got it working, sort of.

But now the struggle is that there seems to be no hud symbology whatsoever for where the TGP is pointing.

I'm in VR so maybe its just missing in VR, because On the video I linked there is an indicator, but I sure am not seeing it when I play.

If you're in AG mode and CCRP, you should be getting a TD box on the HUD, over the target, with the CCRP director vertical line extending from it.

-

Ok I got it working, sort of.

But now the struggle is that there seems to be no hud symbology whatsoever for where the TGP is pointing.

I'm in VR so maybe its just missing in VR, because On the video I linked there is an indicator, but I sure am not seeing it when I play.

Do you have a valid waypoint selected? I.e. one with coordinates when the mission starts? That's the usual issue with not seeing it.

Been messing with this a few days, noticed the following.

CCRP doesnt work, at all, dumb bombs, laser guided, it doesent matter.

When using the TGP and locking a target, the CCRP line/drop indicator always stays pegged to the left or right of the hud even when the selected target (designated by TGP) is directly in front of the aircraft, the "release" line never moves down indicating when to release.. its just not functional in any way shape or form.

I cant get it to work as intended -at all- and this is very very far from my first DCS rodeo.

Sounds like a waypoint or INS problem.

I've seen it too, if you don't have a valid WP selected it will do that. You need to have WP's setup in the mission editor, then select the one you want, and then select the TGP and you should be able to "slew" the WP around. It will work then.

I've had 0 problems dropping LGB's or dumb bombs (well, dropping them at least).

Been messing with this a few days, noticed the following.

CCRP doesnt work, at all, dumb bombs, laser guided, it doesent matter.

When using the TGP and locking a target, the CCRP line/drop indicator always stays pegged to the left or right of the hud even when the selected target (designated by TGP) is directly in front of the aircraft, the "release" line never moves down indicating when to release.. its just not functional in any way shape or form.

I cant get it to work as intended -at all- and this is very very far from my first DCS rodeo.

Unless it has been changed, try this. Once in CCRP, and you see the target box/CCRP line pegged to one side of the HUD (I.e. slaved to a WP), click the OVRD OSB twice on the TGP MFD. This should center the target box/CCRP line to the center of your HUD. Then you should be able to TMS up to ground stabilize/lock the target box (TMS down will recenter on the HUD again), then you should be able to slew the crosshairs on the TGP.

This is from memory, so I may have missed something, but it should get you close enough.

Edited by 609_Relentov

Unless it has been changed, try this. Once in CCRP, and you see the target box/CCRP line pegged to one side of the HUD (I.e. slaved to a WP), click the OVRD OSB twice on the TGP MFD. This should center the target box/CCRP line to the center of your HUD. Then you should be able to TMS up to ground stabilize/lock the target box (TMS down will recenter on the HUD again), then you should be able to slew the crosshairs on the TGP.

This is from memory, so I may have missed something, but it should get you close enough.

Just make sure the TGP is SOI when doing the OVRD. You can do TMS down 2x too.

Lets start over with the problems, this is getting a bit OT.

Yes I can put it in CCRP and it snaps to the waypoint that is selected and I can move the waypoint around with it, yes, that works.

UPDATE: as of today the TGP will no longer lock on to buildings or ground objects at all but I saw there was already a post about that.

I can set it as SOI and move it around, that is not a problem

what IS the problem:

lack of symbology on the HUD showing where the TGP is pointing, there is a little box in the center of the hud hat pops up, I assume thats the TGP.. but it doesent move when I move the TGP around, it stays put.

The bobm release indicator does not work for dumb bombs or LGBs when using the TGP, there is no countdown, the release slider never moves down, and the drop line stays pegged to the right or left of the screen.

Regarding the line being stuck, its STUCK if its on the left side, I can fly a full circle and it will never move, it will never be in the middle no matter what.

I only plan in VR but Ill see if I can get a screen shot to help explain.

Ok maybe this will help, it shows the issues Im speaking of all in one shot.

Im in AG mode and have have GBU10s selected.

As you can see I have a building targeted with the TGP, and am almost on top of it at this point.

The TGP indicator in the hud is still in the center of the hud despite the TGP being pointed almost straight down.

The bomb drop indicator is off to the side and the slider never moved down to signal the drop, the time to release timer shows 19 seconds, and has shown 19 seconds for the duration of the bomb run, it never changed.

So basically I have no visual cues as to when to drop the bombs or where the target even is, since neither the TGP indicator or any of the hud symbology will give the correct information.

Screen_191204_184109.thumb.png.e332488ca38509767ae86a934381ffff.png

Ok maybe this will help, it shows the issues Im speaking of all in one shot.

Im in AG mode and have have GBU10s selected.

As you can see I have a building targeted with the TGP, and am almost on top of it at this point.

The TGP indicator in the hud is still in the center of the hud despite the TGP being pointed almost straight down.

The bomb drop indicator is off to the side and the slider never moved down to signal the drop, the time to release timer shows 19 seconds, and has shown 19 seconds for the duration of the bomb run, it never changed.

So basically I have no visual cues as to when to drop the bombs or where the target even is, since neither the TGP indicator or any of the hud symbology will give the correct information.

To repeat myself Invalid steerpoint will do that. Pull up the steerpoint on the side panel thingy to show coordinates. IF the coordinates change while you are slewing the pod around its valid. It should slew the hud box around too. If not, then you will see the problem you are having.