Submarine Warfare

Devil 505

I laughed when you said I think the server would reset before anyone got out of port. LOL!!! I still think ED could pull this off. Of course we are not going to be waiting on toilet paper to get stocked and all hands accounted for, so that being said, I am sure a 3rd party could make a beast of a sub module some day.

There is a small team (2) building a multicrew WWII submarine simulation with 5 player crew stations. It is great fun.

Wolfpack

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

There is a small team (2) building a multicrew WWII submarine simulation with 5 player crew stations. It is great fun.

Wolfpack

I tell ya i love the ww2 uboat scene, if that came into being in dcs world oh boy. Ha i use to send my Uboat on patrol real time when i was in iraq, come back from a real mission and see if my crew was still alive.

I think if WW2 goes pacific ish it will open up a whole amazing naval aspect aka the dive bombing and torpedoes will be nuts.:thumbup:

• Like 1

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I tell ya i love the ww2 uboat scene, if that came into being in dcs world oh boy. Ha i use to send my Uboat on patrol real time when i was in iraq, come back from a real mission and see if my crew was still alive.

I think if WW2 goes pacific ish it will open up a whole amazing naval aspect aka the dive bombing and torpedoes will be nuts.:thumbup:

Go read up about the war in the Med, it's got everything you'd want, on both sides - and it's nice & compact too.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Go read up about the war in the Med, it's got everything you'd want, on both sides - and it's nice & compact too.

Thats true remember the excitement of navigating through strait of Gibraltar, one of those areas that dont get enough attention generally.:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I laughed when you said I think the server would reset before anyone got out of port. LOL!!! I still think ED could pull this off. Of course we are not going to be waiting on toilet paper to get stocked and all hands accounted for, so that being said, I am sure a 3rd party could make a beast of a sub module some day.

Hours and hours and hours of tedium with nothing but a few squiggles on a sonar screen while locked in a small space for the one or two minutes when something happens.

Submarines are very non-visceral.

Air combat is pretty boring, too, but DCS condenses the boredom and keeps engagement rates high. In a submarine the pre-launch maneuvering can take days. Every sub simulator I've ever seen games the system to give the player something interesting to look at.

On the other hand, getting a 593 or 637 would be like going home. Devilboat (666) or Napa River Mud Puppy. Good stuff.

...but update the F-5 first...

I think the WW2 Naval scene would be best fit for sub warfare to start in DCS. Probably easier to simulate, decent amount of sub variants, and a lot of historical missions that could be recreated. A lot could be done with subs across every campaign with both axis and allied powers. I still think this would be a great move once the terrain engine is fleshed out and Naval modules start becoming more popular.

I would not complain one bit if they started off with a PT module or Fletcher class Destroyer module. Hunting subs in a specific AO would be fun.

• Like 1

+1 for the idea.

As a first step, a PT Boat or English/German equivalents are probably a lot easier to implement than submarine warfare and we already have a suitable map for the latter.

In my eyes DCS Fletcher class would be a perfect choice to expand the naval aspect, especially since they were still widely used after WW2 and some saw service until the end of the century. ED can utilize the tech build for the upcoming Supercarrier module, introduce the original WW2 version first, just surface warfare during early access, ASW later, followed by an upgraded cold war version.

• Like 1

+1 for the idea.

As a first step, a PT Boat or English/German equivalents are probably a lot easier to implement than submarine warfare and we already have a suitable map for the latter.

In my eyes DCS Fletcher class would be a perfect choice to expand the naval aspect, especially since they were still widely used after WW2 and some saw service until the end of the century. ED can utilize the tech build for the upcoming Supercarrier module, introduce the original WW2 version first, just surface warfare during early access, ASW later, followed by an upgraded cold war version.

British PT equivalent is the MTB ( motor torpedo boat ), or the MGB which is just a version without the torpedos & more guns. German side would be E-Boat which were generally slightly bigger, not to be confused with German Torpedo Boats which were a sort of small destroyer. The Italians had a lot of small raiding craft too, no-one seems to remember that ( and I suspect the Russians had something along the same lines ). As you might expect with the small distances in the Channel/North sea, and the Med, coastal forces saw a *lot* of action. One of my relatives was a Coastal forces Commander, didn't make it through, sadly.

One of the British destroyer types might suit Normandy better - while we didn't build one type the entire war, most of the progressive builds were only minor modifications of the previous ones & they served with Commonwealth navies as well.

Incidentally you can look round inside HMS Cavalier ( C-class ) on Google Street View, if you're interested - https://goo.gl/maps/rh7odTTvtj8eZdN4A

• Thanks 1

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

I played a watered down PT simulator a while back on steam. Very fun making torpedo runs on ships, defending against incoming planes, and defense missions. There could be a lot of scenarios for every power that used these style of boats in WW2.

I agree a PT boat or Fletcher class destroyer would be a great kick start to WW2 Navy modules.

PowerTool.jpg

HullFDrawingSO14.jpg

jyjy.jpg?w=584&h=203

0b9942cc2f7d47de3fab6f2a3cd3dce2.jpg

3tvvau7ppjbz.jpg

ecd2c92308fb64f66b9e0e9f1fc9d1e4.png

Edited by robert.clark251
  • Thanks 1

Chizh has commented on the topic of submarine warfare:

Submarines can submerge on DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4125753&postcount=20101

DCS has sea bottom. Meanwhile, in theory, ED can build a "Dangerous Waters / Cold Waters" analog on DCS, but that can require time and work. Has not plans to make them.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4125976&postcount=20103

Thanks to Silver Dragon for gathering suchs posts from all over the forum :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I remember when ED implement "float" vehicles some years ago, some of them "sunk" and can move under the water with CA, and yes, I can see the sea bottom on caucasus. I remember a old map tutorial video when show as build the sea bottom with the TDK.

About them, not bad a see MBT, Patrol craft, missile boat (my never complete Pr.203) on DCS, with a radar, some weapons post and a bridge.

We need investigate the future carrier module to see how ED build the LSO "cockpit" show on the GA SuperCarrier video and intent make other "cockpits" on ships.

• Like 1

After seeing the new Super Carrier trailer ED released, I have VERY high hopes for Naval modules on the horizon with DCS. Maybe starting with patrol boats and frigates. The technology was very impressive they are using with the Carrier module. Could you imagine a crew of submariners running around a WW2 sub, or deck crew of a WW2 module. High hopes for the digital high seas.

On the topic of carriers, I hope the WW2 carrier shown in Leathernecks short video of the Corsair gets the same high fidelity that our Super Carrier gets.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw the Christmas email. Torpedoes inbound. I hope they consider a full blown module out of the Schnell Boat. That would be one hell of a way to make an intro into DCS WW2 Naval combat. The 3D model looks great.

+100

I'm totally with you on that! Forget that supercarrier... the DCS S-100 Schnellboot module is what we need!!!! :)

• Like 1

By Chizh, build a "cold waters / Dangerous Waters" module can take years / work and exclusive team..... :( and surelly build a great quantity of mechanics into DCS.

Point taken.

That said, it doesn't need a full-blown Cold/DangerousWaters module to get started.

Giving the S-100 Schnellboot compatibility with Combined Arms would be the sort of start I had in mind. That means...

• Ability to use the Tactical Commander role to take control of the boot
  • Ability to drive/navigate the boat
  • Ability to go to the different gun stations and fire the guns (especially against incoming DH-98 Mosquitoes).
  • Ability to launch torpedoes against enemy ships.

This sort of thing does not sound so dissimilar from the Combined Arms capability of some of the existing surface-to-air missile units that are already in DCS. The difference being the sea-based nature and replacing the missile-mechanism with a torpedo one.

Integration of WW2 and Combined Arms has been reasonably weak so far. This does strike me as single implementation, albeit somewhat more complicated, but with a large impact on the WW2 scenarios that could be implemented (incl. pre-invasion scenarios, e.g. Battle of Lyme Bay, link)

• Like 1

Hmm - a Fairmille dog boat or one of the Vospers for the allied side & we could at least test out coastal forces naval engagements under CA. Would probably perform like a waterborne tank, but it's a start :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dear god, I just saw the new WW2 assets trailer and the subs look phenomenal. I really hope with Naval assets moving our direction as modules, we can get a DCS level WW2 submarine module in the future. Gato class and the wolf packs. There were so many variants used. And with the Pacific map inbound, this would be a great addition to the game.

• Like 1

This will be awesome. I believe a while back I started another thread on this. The Schnell boat is a great start to modelling smaller PT style Naval assets. I am with you on this one. I really hope to see Naval modules make their way to DCS. Maybe we will get a Third Party Dev coming out of no where to do this in the future. I would buy one in a heart beat.

• Like 1