Increase Jester's IFF speed

zippoa

Believe me, it is a pretty hard job to radar IFF contacts in the F-14 (unless you're in STT), especially if there are friendlies and enemy on the same azimuth.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That true, but sometimes there is only one contact in front and Jester just does not IFF him, and / or not designates him as hostile /friendly.

I see, in that case IFFing should not be much of an issue.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 months later...

You could simply add a Jester command to make him immediately tell if a radar lock is friendly or not. Sometimes he really takes a long time to tell you. In case you have put him into silent mode, it would be also very handy to enforce him to give IFF information.

IFF is super quick and easy, usually. Just stay in RWS/TWS and use the DDD. IFF's everyone at once.

If you are in the RIO-seat yourself, it can be very quick, but I don't think there is a Jester command that makes him do what you are describing. If we could simply ask him for IFF in the crew contract menu, then we would also be able to get a quick respond.

IFF is super quick and easy, usually. Just stay in RWS/TWS and use the DDD. IFF's everyone at once.

Not always. I've often found in relatively densely populated furballs (5, 6 or more planes over a small area), Jester would fail to make an IFF call at all, even after 3 or 4 WVR STT locks, be they from VSL or PAL radar modes. IRL this wouldn't be an issue as you could visually ID the buggers, but in DCS both blues and reds fly pretty much the same aircraft, and visibility although better then what it once was, still isn't that great. At least not of IFF purposes.

I am guessing this is all to do with system being overtaxed which probably is the main reason behind late missile callouts as well. So "waking up" Jester to make the call on a locked target could be a useful option to have.:thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 3 weeks later...

One thing of note: Jester has no calls for an event when you lock a non-friendly contact. It would help a lot, if he would say something like "raygun", so the player immediately knows that it might be a hostile on the radar lock. When I was a beginner, I thought that Jester's call "we got him now" would mean that I locked a hostile, but that call is not refering to the radar lock, which can be very misleading.

Btw. I would suggest using only short callouts like "Buddylock" instead of "we locked a friendly". It would me more realistic as well I think. Long callouts are only ok for BVR fights when you got the time.

Edited by Tiramisu

This is still under revision and we intend to improve it soon, guys.

Much needed and appreciated :thumbup:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

That true, but sometimes there is only one contact in front and Jester just does not IFF him, and / or not designates him as hostile /friendly.

IFF system does only designate someone friendly, but not hostile. You need other means to verify target as hostile, like AWACS to check that there are no flight plans in that area, that they detect such a information (speed, altitude, location etc) that doesn't match to any known friendlies, or can not be a friendly.

Because a IFF system doesn't state a target is not friendly, you can't go shooting at them. Because the system ain't perfect, not even highly perfect. There are reasons why a friendly aircraft gets designated not-friendly and you wouldn't want to engage such a target that ain't confirmed by a third party to be a enemy, not even your wingman can do that.

What the IFF does, is to confirm you that radar target doesn't require to be intercepted not confirmed, in other words Not to be minded.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.