Speed Hold/Auto Throttle Control

Legs

Not a feature on F-16, need the manual throttle control.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

ATC will hinder you more than it helps in AAR

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

wouldn't be surprised if NATOPS just forbids the use of ATC, same with AUTO flaps, etc.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I would try to ween yourself off from using auto-throttle in air refueling since it will create more problems than it actually solves and thus will make it harder for you in the end.

No matter what aircraft you fly in DCS and regardless of its auto throttle capability, it is a good idea to put some meaningful effort into learning good, steady, and precise throttle control. It may seem really difficult at first but it doesn't take long for it to "click" and before you know it, you are doing throttle corrections automatically without thinking about it.

When I set out to learn refueling, I found that my formation flying (and thus throttle control) was not really where I thought it was. To correct this, I spent some time just flying formation with the tanker with the hud off. In order to get good at this, you have to learn to judge your speed relative to the tanker by eye (without knowing how fast it is going or how fast you are going). With practice, you will be able to see if you are closing or falling back and once you are at that point, you will be able to vary precisely control speed, anticipate throttle changes, and keep up with formations without a lot of thought.

Using auto-throttle is really for either long distance transits where you staying at a specific speed is desirable or when (aircraft permitting) you are doing landings and the auto-throttle helps you stay on speed (not all auto-throttle systems will do this). Air refueling will require too many small changes to speed and while using auto-throttle is not impossible, it will actually make things harder for you.

I would try to ween yourself off from using auto-throttle in air refueling since it will create more problems than it actually solves and thus will make it harder for you in the end.

No matter what aircraft you fly in DCS and regardless of its auto throttle capability, it is a good idea to put some meaningful effort into learning good, steady, and precise throttle control. It may seem really difficult at first but it doesn't take long for it to "click" and before you know it, you are doing throttle corrections automatically without thinking about it.

When I set out to learn refueling, I found that my formation flying (and thus throttle control) was not really where I thought it was. To correct this, I spent some time just flying formation with the tanker with the hud off. In order to get good at this, you have to learn to judge your speed relative to the tanker by eye (without knowing how fast it is going or how fast you are going). With practice, you will be able to see if you are closing or falling back and once you are at that point, you will be able to vary precisely control speed, anticipate throttle changes, and keep up with formations without a lot of thought.

Using auto-throttle is really for either long distance transits where you staying at a specific speed is desirable or when (aircraft permitting) you are doing landings and the auto-throttle helps you stay on speed (not all auto-throttle systems will do this). Air refueling will require too many small changes to speed and while using auto-throttle is not impossible, it will actually make things harder for you.

100% concur!

There's far too many variables to staying on the boom (or in the basket) for a single speed to be set. And all of that is even assuming the tanker itself is able to maintain an absolute precise airspeed. Maybe in DCS it can and does because its an AI entity. But IRL, that's rarely the case. If formation flying was a strictly 1-dimensional event (i.e. Fwd/aft), then ATC might work. But the up/down - L/R thing also usually involves small speed changes when one of the other parameters needs adjusting. Especially if the tanker enters a turn while hooked up.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Is this a thing in the block 50? I struggle particularly with AAR so i am just curious if this is or will be a thing in this aircraft like the Hornet.

Check the video out in this post here (can pan to watch the throttle)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4081848&postcount=2

Constant throttle movement, personally I am pretty lazy and move it about 1/3rd this much (TWCS) and don't have too much trouble with AAR in the Viper.

Not sure what throttle you have, but i found that some Nyogel 7676a on the rails helped immensely with throttle movement.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check the video out in this post here (can pan to watch the throttle)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4081848&postcount=2

Constant throttle movement, personally I am pretty lazy and move it about 1/3rd this much (TWCS) and don't have too much trouble with AAR in the Viper.

Not sure what throttle you have, but i found that some Nyogel 7676a on the rails helped immensely with throttle movement.

wow! thx for that :thumbup:

my son just said: "new DCS looks pretty cool!" as he saw me watching that video ;)