Just bought Warthog HOTAS...

OnlyforDCS

...But for the life of me my MSFFB2 feels and flies better with the F14.

The numerous buttons and build quality are nice, I have to admit that. However I think Im going to keep the throttle and use the MSFFB2 as my stick.

Am I crazy?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The numerous buttons and build quality are nice, I have to admit that. However I think Im going to keep the throttle and use the MSFFB2 as my stick.

Am I crazy?

I was same as you. My MSFFB 2 was my primary stick before I bought the Warthog. Didnt like the stiffness but after I added the extention it became soo much better and cant fly without it. My MSFFB used for helo only.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Am I crazy?

All it needs is an extension or a lighter spring. I went for a lighter spring and it feels way better.

Buzz

Am I crazy?

No you are not. The MSFFB2 is still the best stick out there in terms of (force) feedback, especially if you are a bfm guy.

And when looking at aficionade sticks, trust me, the WH is not one of them. It's actually a mainstream product, that is much greater on the outside than it is on the inside. It has an excellent grip, for sure, but the feel of the base is atrocious in my opion, the worst of the worst in this price range. If you want great aficionado sticks, stay away from the WH and go for VKB or Virpil and maybe the new Hornet stick (or Baur's if you are into ww2), but I did not try those last two yet. My advice: return the TM Warthog, only get the throttle, but not the stick. (or sell the base, keep the grip)

Because the throttle from the TM WH however is quite solid and very much worth getting. (I have nothing against TM, their TPR pedals are very good for example, etc, but I stand by my opinion about the WH stick.)

And probably I should not publicly endorse this or that, but here you go. This is my personal opinion.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I'll second IronMike's post. I thought the Warthog felt good. Bought in 2012, many good years with it. I upgraded to a WarBRD a few months ago. It's a night-and-day difference, just the same as it was a night-and-day difference going from an X-52 to the Warthog.

I'm sure there are a few people out there who do prefer the WH base after having tried the higher end bases, but I'd be genuinely surprised if they were anything other than statistical outliers.

If I had an MS FFB2 stick in my stash, I'd likely just mod that and use it. It's a pretty incredible piece of equipment even now. There are a few good resources for modding sticks on the internet. There is a subreddit named HotasDIY, and there's also a Discord associated with it. Worth considering.

I hate to recommend you spend more money after having just bought an expensive controller - but I'll also agree that swapping the Warthog base for a Virpil WarBRD is a fantastic investment. I really like the F-16 style stick and Virpil's sticks just don't speak to me in an aesthetic or ergonomic sense, but the WarBRD base is incredible. Paired with a TM stick it's a really great stick.

No you are not. The MSFFB2 is still the best stick out there in terms of (force) feedback, especially if you are a bfm guy.

And when looking at aficionade sticks, trust me, the WH is not one of them. It's actually a mainstream product, that is much greater on the outside than it is on the inside. It has an excellent grip, for sure, but the feel of the base is atrocious in my opion, the worst of the worst in this price range. If you want great aficionado sticks, stay away from the WH and go for VKB or Virpil and maybe the new Hornet stick (or Baur's if you are into ww2), but I did not try those last two yet. My advice: return the TM Warthog, only get the throttle, but not the stick. (or sell the base, keep the grip)

Because the throttle from the TM WH however is quite solid and very much worth getting. (I have nothing against TM, their TPR pedals are very good for example, etc, but I stand by my opinion about the WH stick.)

And probably I should not publicly endorse this or that, but here you go. This is my personal opinion.

Hey Mike, regarding the VKB F-14 grips. I bought the F-14 through your store and last night i got he email for the discount that goes along with it. Can you share some more light on how this works? Will there be time constraint as to how long the discount code will work? Does it have to be redeemed right away? The grip is standalone, right? The base has to be bought separately?

P.S. sorry if it seams like i'm hijacking the thread, i just wasn't sure if my questions warrants opening a new one :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I forgot about the WarBRD base and F-14 grip. Is that available now and what's the cost?

edit........Oops! I forgot it's a VKB base. Cripes! That will never be available. Every time I have money to spend they have nothing in stock.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I forgot about the WarBRD base and F-14 grip. Is that available now and what's the cost?

edit........Oops! I forgot it's a VKB base. Cripes! That will never be available. Every time I have money to spend they have nothing in stock.

WarBRD is Virpil. Both Virpil and VKB have F-14 sticks, but I believe only the Virpil one will work on the WarBRD. If you need both a base and a stick, then you've got a lot of painful decision-making to do.

Based on Ironmike's comments, I just ordered a Virpil base and stick. The Warthog, even with an extension, has an inordinate amount of friction and drag. I was hoping that it would loosen up with use, but still feels like flying dual with an instructor riding the controls...

Viewpoints are my own.

Its funny, I actually prefer the feel of my 2 warthogs (F18 w extension, F16 without) versus my Vipril base. An extension really helps precision pretty much in all cases though. The most notable thing for me is that the Vipril has distinct X and Y axes, and generally requires more force to move, wheras the WH does not and is quite easy to move/hold allowing more precise delicate inputs. Its worse without the extension, but I use that exclusively as a side-stick for the F16 until I replace it with a FSSB base.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).