clipped wings effect flight model?

in today's news (http://bit.ly/2kVgISa), its mentioned that the Spit will have the option for the clipped wings which as i have read gave it an improved roll rate and a higher speed at low altitudes.

so i wanted to ask, are the clipped wings just a cosmetic change, or will we see the changes to the flight model to go along with them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

i would think so, but i have learned not to just assume

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

ED's Yo-Yo said that early on, while asked as to why the clipped-wing version isn't out at the same time with the DCS: Spitfire, that they will need additional time for the Professional Flight Model (PFM) for that variant. So that's always good to hear (even though waiting sucks).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

generally a good rule of thumb but there are some safe assumptions to make.

considering flightmodel authenticity to be one of the core features of dcs, this is one of them.

beyond that, there's the search button.

ED's Yo-Yo said that early on, while asked as to why the clipped-wing version isn't out at the same time with the DCS: Spitfire, that they will need additional time for the Professional Flight Model (PFM) for that variant. So that's always good to hear (even though waiting sucks).

so your implying that, they might have the flight model ready now, which is why the feature is being added?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so your implying that, they might have the flight model ready now, which is why the feature is being added?

Obviously. We haven't waited so long for a cosmetic change, still this is DCS :smilewink: . A different kettle of fish would be how much those differences in FM can be told at first sight.

Anyway, IIRC, it was not only a different FM but the fact that a single module would have more than one FM depending on ME selectable options (aside from fuel/MW50 tanks filling levels). Clipped wings is a first and after this development more modules could have similar features implying more than one FM for the same module in the future.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

ok i think i understand, thanks for the feedback, will be interesting to see the differences in the FM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
in today's news (http://bit.ly/2kVgISa), its mentioned that the Spit will have the option for the clipped wings which as i have read gave it an improved roll rate and a higher speed at low altitudes.

so i wanted to ask, are the clipped wings just a cosmetic change, or will we see the changes to the flight model to go along with them?

I'm not sure there's really any difference worth modelling, I recall this sort of thing being discussed a long time ago, and apparently there was just about no difference in performance between the full-span Spitfire and the versions with clipped wings.

It would make sense that the clipped-wing version would have a slightly higher rate of roll, slightly higher max speed, and somewhat less G available at a given speed than the full span version, but apparently this wasn't the case. The aircraft performed and handled pretty much identically regardless of wing type.

Just anecdotal, mind you--and I'm not known for my outstanding memory :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

If they are identical why the clipped wing version?

Originally intended to improve speed at low altitude. I believe they eventually built all Spitfires with clipped wings, even high-alt versions, because it didn't make any difference but allowed them to use slightly less aluminum to build each aircraft. That left more metal for building other things--like more aircraft :)

So-called 'strategic' materials like aluminum were at a premium near the end of the war, so as far as building machinery out of the stuff goes--less means more.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

So i guess i go back to my original question... Is there a flight model difference or is it cosmetic.

Maybe someone will be able to comfirm it o e way or another.

I know, its DCS.. everything should be hyper real... But as also noted, maybe the effect was so minor that there is nothing or no point in trying to model the difference..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So i guess i go back to my original question... Is there a flight model difference or is it cosmetic.

Guess we'll find out eh :)

I wouldn't mind little extra speed in the Spit, it's mighty hard to catch them Germans! :) On the other hand, it's almost effortless to turn with them, and out-turn them, which I suppose was the whole point of the Spit in the first place.

AD

Kit:

I'd say "for sure!" It'll feel different.

One of the strongest features of DCS is it's quality regarding reproduction of flight and systems characteristics of the RW counterparts of aircraft it models, so, at least regarding turn rates I am sure I'll feel the difference :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Originally intended to improve speed at low altitude.

No, clipped wings were introduced mainly to increase roll-rate, because Spitfire was totaly outclased by Fw190 in this discipline.

some results of clipped wings

advantages:

- a small increase in the rate of roll

- a slight increase in speed bellow about 20000ft

disadvantages:

- an inability to turn as fast of tight as an aircraft with normal wings due to an increased stalling speed in the turn

- a small increase in take-off run

- a loss in maximum rate of climb at any height of 160 - 200ft/min

- a lowering of the service ceiling by 1800ft

- a decrease speed above 20000ft

It comes from test where several Spitfire models were tested

so, for Mk.IXc some figures may not be exactly the same, but will be similar or close.

btw. the last sentence in report is : "... it is recommended that the wings tips are not removed from Spitfire aircraft"

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got early feedback on the in game implications and performance changes?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just took mine out.

Some thoughts:

- Didn't feel noticeably different (unsurprising really)

- The engine seemed to take longer to warm up / get to the point of overheating

Have to say that I was rather surprised that it didn't share controls with the standard Spit, so had to recreate them.

Lastly, I couldn't find the trim for the pitch. Has that been removed?

Anyone else found the same?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Lastly, I couldn't find the trim for the pitch. Has that been removed?

Anyone else found the same?

it is still here : Flight Controls / Trim Elevator NOSE DOWN/UP

it works for me

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

it is still here : Flight Controls / Trim Elevator NOSE DOWN/UP

it works for me

Sorry, my mistake, not pitch, roll.

Indeed, they couldn't remove something which didn't exist in the first place :D.

That being said, there's something wonky going on with controls. When I created my first mission (in the full editor, on the Normandy map), the clipped plane had all controls working as the standard version. But as soon as I tried the quick mission generator and Caucasus map next, it suddenly "forgot" all controls assignment. What's worse, the standard Spit got reset too. I decided not to re-do controls, but reboot the game - everything is back to normal - for now.

Will have to do some testing again, but looks like there might be some controls-reset bug hiding in the shadows, dependent on how we set up the mission with the Spit after loading the game for the first time.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Indeed, they couldn't remove something which didn't exist in the first place :D.

That being said, there's something wonky going on with controls. When I created my first mission (in the full editor, on the Normandy map), the clipped plane had all controls working as the standard version. But as soon as I tried the quick mission generator and Caucasus map next, it suddenly "forgot" all controls assignment. What's worse, the standard Spit got reset too. I decided not to re-do controls, but reboot the game - everything is back to normal - for now.

Will have to do some testing again, but looks like there might be some controls-reset bug hiding in the shadows, dependent on how we set up the mission with the Spit after loading the game for the first time.

I first fired up the CW, and all the control assignments were forgotten. I thought that came with the patch. I set it up for the normal version. I'm not going to fire up the CW until someone confirms it's not a bug.

EDIT: I flew the CW again and the assignments were OK. Maybe ED had to reset the controls due to the new functionalities.

Edited by Reflected

Nah, there's more to that. Checked again:

a) launching the game -> quick mission generation with CW -> controls are fubared for both Spits

b) Rebooting the game -> quick mission generation with non-CW -> controls are OK -> switch to CW -> controls are OK.

Will have to test on other maps and with other planes being loaded first after launching the game, but there's something wrong going on here. Not enough info yet to start a separate bug thread, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I copied the controls from the normal Spit to the CW (changed one button in the CW before to create the CW folder in SavedGames) - seems to work OK.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022