Do you play with labels on?

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Before latest update, was doing the change myself to get just a dot. Newest update you can choose this now.

Yeah I use labels, not the greatest pilot, and have bad eyes (recovering from 2 eye surgeries this month) so I use them. I figure if I am battling to see the enemy, especially on the ground, then I am getting frustrated. I am in here to have fun so I turn them on and have fun. With the Hornet, it is hard enough to try and hit things on the ground, even with a cluster.

I fly VR, so yes I do. No shame in it. Plus, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There used to be an upscaling scheme once upon a time, but it was dropped at some point. Have been using a label. Do for some time now to go to a small fuzzy dark grey dot. I play with a group and it’s surprising how small differences in settings change the max visual detection range of a lot of things. At least the labels, if set up properly, come in at a set range. Some of the more complex mods even change the size of the dot as it gets closer. Levels the playing field a little, and done properly they aren’t game breaking.

I always have and always will use labels. I am all about realism but I want for this to be fun and enjoyable as well. There are some limitations from flying a simulator projected on a computer screen and the labels can help make up for that. I am happy that this latest update has added more label options and I am currently using the abbreviated label.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I presume the AI has "perfect eyesight" so is it fair we use labels?

I'd say more they have SuperMan's X-Ray eyes as they can even folow through terrain masking in between mountains once they see you even though they are 40 miles away... i'm sure they do :)

I'm in Vr, so i tried to sue the DoT mod last week, before the path implementing the option, i tried it and tok them both off, usualy i am not that bad spotting stuff, thing is, once i do i need not to loose sight of it, if i do, i'm breaking my neck looking for them, but only reason i consider using them is when i use AI armed with A/A missile, for the simple reason when i spot them from afar, missile and airplane has the same size when i beam a bogey locked on me, so i have a tendency as per murphy's law, to simply head for the wrong target/pixel in other words i'm trying to evade the airplane and not the missile as i pick up the wrong, far away pixel so ther missile simply pop up my ass, side or what ever i turn myself away from... so i simply fix the issue as making my training mission with guns only AI.

Edited by Doum76

I have to; in VR, I can't spot anything without some kind of indicator. I like the new system where you can really have some minimal labels a lot better than full labels.

I had them like this back in the LOMAC days... now using simple black dots that are just on top of the targets to make them a bit more visible, still not easy to spot them though. Same those labels are visible even though the objects are hidden behind the cockpit frame, but black ones aren't as obvious as coloured ones and they don't give away if it's a friend or foe.

But as soon as you go online you have to deal without rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I never have. It depends on a hundred different factors, but aircraft are often extremely difficult to spot in real life, even with TCAS or ATC bearing and altitude. And those are aircraft that want to be seen, not little grey fighters zipping around at low level.

BUT, I just switched to VR and visibility is abysmal. I'm about to experiment with labels for the first time.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

We always do. VR and 4k pretty much requires them. We however were using a dot mod for quite some time now. I haven't had a chance to try the new implementation given the VR issues.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I played since version 1.1.1.1 with trackir and never used labels.

I bought VR about 12 months ago and tried. I was OK until it got to dogfighting with humans using TrackIR and worked out with my friends over some time that they could see me and I could stare at the same area of space and couldn't see them.

I then picked up the label mod and the results were on par with a human with Trackir in 1080p.

The downside in this equal state is that the label mod cannot change colour with night time and dusk, so what looks like a 'light grey smear' in day, and quite realistic with labels, at night then looks pretty bling. You don't tend to notice the "through-the-canopy" issue in VR.

With many years of trial and test, I feel in VR labels bring an equilibrium to spotting (aircraft) to what I had in TrackIR without.

Neither option gives a realistic airborne view, i'm not sure that can be achieved with computers right now, despite the moaning. Things like reflection glint, movement have varied affects depending on the ambient conditions, eye resolution is superior, we are in a zoomed out mode in DCS. But I think what you can do, is aim for parity with other people as a goal.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

yes.

it is very hardo to see things in dcs. both airborne and land targets

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5