Conformal tanks for F-15C

DaveRindner

Elmendorff birds are special too. They get all sorts of things to test (APG-63(V2), Link-16 terminals, etc).

I don't know if the CFT use was a check-out, typical use or what - the only typical use of CFTs that I'm aware of was the Iceland eagles. It doesn't mean it didn't happen anywhere else, but generally not desirable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You just extra fuel which you don't really need and increased drag

Im guessing the drag is minimal even more so when compared to all the hard points with stores hanging off. Probably just testing them for the E model anyways or they really need the extra ~11,000 lbs of fuel.

My Setup:

HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudders, Trackir 5, i Control w/ipad, powered by Alienware Aurora ALX i7 3930k oc 4.2, dual 980s, 16gb Ram.

I wouldn't mind CFTs if we ever get a full-fidelity F-15, but for FC3 I don't see the point.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I don't see the point in CFTs when we can put on 3 bags and never use the tanker anyway :P

The point is to not put on 3 bags. Sometimes you wanna have extra flight time but don't want to give your F-15 the aerodynamic drag characteristics of the broad side of a barn.

Would obviously be a nice thing to have as an option and CFT-equipped F-15Cs do exist out there in the world, so putting it on a "wish list" is totally appropriate. If there's ever a full-fidelity F-15C module I would be more insistent that they are included, but the generally dumbed-down state of FC3 modules definitely makes it justifiable to leave out.

The equipment fits the mission. CFT equipped eagles with bags could go over the pole and visit Russia. If they put'em in, fine. If you put'em on on the current maps, I assume a 5 hour loiter :)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well, having CFT does ruin your aerodynamic characteristics, so does drop tanks (more than CFT).

Here come the differences... if you finish your extra fuel or you get engaged, you can drop your fuel tanks and have the maximum performance, but you cannot drop CFTs.

There are scenarios, which would benefit CFTs, as Tharos said "The equipment fits the mission"

For DCS now and FC3, I don't see a scenario in which you would really say I wish I had those CFTs....

But at the end of the day, if they do add them, they have the spare time, I am not going to complain about it

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Interesting thst so many people want to prevent CFTs from being added as an OPTION. We have so many things in DCS which are not "needed", like NACTS pods, two types of 2.75" LAU launchers, half a dozen training and smoke warhead rockets, penetrator variants of GBU-31s for the A-10C, two types of non-functional ECM pods, etc..

But I use most of those things because I like simulating things as I see fit. I don't complain that we can put "Smokewinders" on an A-10...i just don't use it.

Why shouldn't CFTs be an option? Who cares if they were only used in specific circumstances? A-10s don't routinely drop penetrators or use smoke generators, but we have those.

I think having CFTs would be cool, and a realistic alternative to carrying three bags.

I’m all for the option. IMO CFT’s wouldn’t be a simple addition however and would require a number of specific changes to the flight model. Considering the F-15 is an FC3 module makes it very unlikely (again IMHO) we’ll see any new features added.

Do CFTs change handling characteristics above and beyond adding weight and drag? Seems like they could be added just like any other weapon or pylon.

Not that much, really, but the a/c have to be prepared/upgraded to install them and they cannot be jettisoned during flight. They can have however additional weapon hardpoints like for AMRAAMs.

I stumbled accross this article today (lots of guessing):

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18259/its-back-to-the-future-for-u-s-f-15c-eagles-and-conformal-fuel-tanks

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

They may alter the CG due to fuel flow speed.

Do CFTs change handling characteristics above and beyond adding weight and drag? Seems like they could be added just like any other weapon or pylon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

in this case, Fast Pack Program was more of a Export Program, and Even then, it was never really used

USAF Never Really got into it, the -Es and a Majority of the Exports have the CFTs and Stuff, but I dont think they swap them for Missions, instead they use the External SNIPER Pods and stuff.

The USAF wants to upgrade their F-15C/Ds with CFTs to Enable Range and more Weapons, specifically for ANG.

Whether or not that gets approved I dont know, and it doesnt matter as the FC3 F-15C is of an older Block, waaaaay older.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Why shouldn't CFTs be an option?

Who said that they shouldn't be an option ? The closest post to what you are saying is that they are not needed, and of low interest

Just the resources of making them for a such a module (FC3) can be used elsewhere, especially with 2.5 coming out of BETA ans so many modules on their way.

It just not a necessity, in my eyes, but as I already said, if they make them and put them in, no harm, only a bonus

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when we got them in ai they were great for the pilots they loved them but until we got the kinks worked out they were a pain. They learned to install and forget as they were not as interchangeable as designed. So once a pair were fitted to an airframe they rarely got installed on a different aircraft. The thing about the side tanks vs the drop tanks is they don’t have the drag and restrictions on monuverours as a drop tank the drop tank was designed to get the plane to the fight be dropped the the fighter can fight and head home whereas the side tanks allowed the fighter to fight with the tanks attached and the refill after the fight so that allowed them to fight longer.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

At least fuel quantity indicator needed no upgrade for CFT

Whether or not that gets approved I dont know, and it doesnt matter as the FC3 F-15C is of an older Block, waaaaay older.

(In FC2 there was no CFT option on Fuel QTY indication.

)

1997185675_conf_tank_selectedlshiftD.thumb.jpg.d7dbe1dfe577c09d5e9e751eb7afe694.jpg

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 1 year later...

Worked F15 avionics in Iceland (92-93). CFTs actually add lift. When they are installed a pin is grounded that adds a -1.5 degree pitch down command on the flight control system. I never heard our pilots mention the disadvantage of CFTs vs a regular C model. FWIW....the DCS cockpit is spot on and takes me back to my USAF days every time I play it.

• 6 months later...
No. Only used on the Icelandic birds AFAIK. Completely undesirable otherwise.

Yes, they were only considered for intercept aircraft in a remote region with few alternate landing fields...and they enabled Air Defense Command Fighter Interceptor Squadron (FIS) Jets to burner out to ID the bad dudes without running out of fuel so fast. And they were adapted and designed into the Strike Eagle airframe, but the A/B/C/D Model Eagle Maintainers had a difficult time accessing parts of the airplane with the conformal tanks on. The Fastpacks eventually faded away from the Eagles and they remained part of the Strike Eagle Design. It looks like the new F-15EX will have them but that's another new beast in itself!

https://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]