Introducing the new Logitech X56 HOTAS

LOGIRich

I ordered it from Amazon so pulling up proof of purchased shouldn’t be hard. It has never really worked right. either the axis would go wonky if you hit a mini stick or a knob/wheel the thottle wa Avery similar. I tried using the sst app the last time I configured it before going into dcs and that didn’t help any where as before it was no programming in the x-56 just configuration in the sim. I had high hopes for it but the mini sticks in my opinion cause way more trouble than they are worth i was hoping to use one as a mouse pointer but never got that far. It’s sat disconnected the majority of the time couldn’t even use as a basic stick and throttle because of feedback from the dials,ministick and knobs.

I checked with amazon and i ordered it on April the 25th of 2016. I assume a printout of the amazon order page in my orders would suffice since it has the item, date order number and amount paid.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought one. Dl the stock profile X56 Lock On Profile. I hit the PROFILE button in the software and get a dialog box. " an unknown error has occurred. The device has not been profiled. " Yes the profile is loaded in upper right corner. Lock On X56 . I am rusty and coming from a dusty sold G940.

I am not sure what to do.

1. Disappointed that I can load this Lock on Profile but cant complete this step and setup other options.

2. Frustrated that there are no clear instructions about adjusting the ingame settings to what can be programmed in the Software. The Software seems the way to go.

Software isnt working. Makes me think the hotas is broken. Logitechs website would not even let me make a new support account so I could at least contact or take this there. I tried two browsers. Other people have gotten this to work. I actually have some good setup instructions and pictures of the process from someone who did it for the F15C and a X55 .

So I was almost there. Almost at least sure my hotas was not defective. Then I got the error....WTF! :(

Just tried again to register an account at Logitech. The screen changed and now wants a screen name. No screen name in the world will let you register an account. It keeps giving an error that the screen name cannot be used. Who is running Logitech? Highschool kids?

I hope they get it fixed as I have one I wish to return.either it is to smart for me or not working right it made buy a tm warthog hotas this month when I plan on buying the vkb gf2 next month when released just so I have a throttle to use until vkb releases theirs later this year. I have never been able to get it to work and compared to the tm wh hotas it’s day and night difference the tm is all metal even the grips where as the x56 is cheap plastic the tm uses hall sensors the x56 pots that will need maintaining along the way. So many 3rd party parts for the tm almost nothing for the x56. The lapse in coverage during Logitech s Aquiristion of saitek. Will they be any warranty extension periods on will they be strict to the purchase date.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

In joysticks X-55/56 is used in X and Y axes the same kind of HALL sensor of T.16000M and Warthog.

Twist rudder and X-56 throttle use low cost/quality pots.

And this is what i dont get, hall sensors and magrez sensors are not so much expensive vs cheap pots ... and still they install pots :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And this is what i dont get, hall sensors and magrez sensors are not so much expensive vs cheap pots ... and still they install pots :(

But is how industry work, contactless sensor is not that too expensive - MLX90333 that combine X and Y axes cost ~$6 in Digikey and cost less for joystick industry in quantity. And use then involve RD costs.

But in China the typical 'joystick pot' cost $0.10/per unit in batch's, so use pot = more profit, because the joystick/throttle price for consumer is not influenced proportionally by their use.

They don't sell what you want/need, they sell what they want sell. :P

But is how industry work, contactless sensor is not that too expensive - MLX90333 that combine X and Y axes cost ~$6 in Digikey and cost less for joystick industry in quantity. And use then involve RD costs.

But in China the typical 'joystick pot' cost $0.10/per unit in batch's, so use pot = more profit, because the joystick/throttle price for consumer is not influenced proportionally by their use.

They don't sell what you want/need, they sell what they want sell. :P

Well they sell crap quality. Fine for me. My virpil is much better quality and support works.

Now when virpil gets throttle out... :)

Logitech failed simulator fans when they dumb G940 force hotas ( was nice in paper, bad in reality )

Now saitek is merged with logitech so quality is 2xout

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bought one. Dl the stock profile X56 Lock On Profile. I hit the PROFILE button in the software and get a dialog box. " an unknown error has occurred. The device has not been profiled. " Yes the profile is loaded in upper right corner. Lock On X56 . I am rusty and coming from a dusty sold G940.

I am not sure what to do.

1. Disappointed that I can load this Lock on Profile but cant complete this step and setup other options.

2. Frustrated that there are no clear instructions about adjusting the ingame settings to what can be programmed in the Software. The Software seems the way to go.

Software isnt working. Makes me think the hotas is broken. Logitechs website would not even let me make a new support account so I could at least contact or take this there. I tried two browsers. Other people have gotten this to work. I actually have some good setup instructions and pictures of the process from someone who did it for the F15C and a X55 .

So I was almost there. Almost at least sure my hotas was not defective. Then I got the error....WTF! :(

Your X56 isn't faulty - this is an issue with the software so no need to return the HOTAS. I assume you're using the download from our site? Which version of Windows are you running?

Yes Everything is stock. I am using a clean Windows 10 pro install. I know G940 people worked with DCS on that stick and I bought one of those too. I am disappointed that there seems to be a lack of working together on the release of X56 and installation with DCS World. I dont know who is to blame but if both companies want to sell product I think it behooves them to work together. I also hope you fired who ever green lighted the poorly engineered Tension system for the throttle. I can say it finally made me make a system to allow a bolted down and adjustable controls base system but WTH. Thats so obvious I cant believe you guys sent these out the door like this. Mine is going to be workable but I should really have more control over the tension. Thanks for your help. %5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/5bgwSqY.jpg[/img] %5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/hWNCVne.jpg[/img] 80/20 stuff https://www.8020.net/

Edited by tothesky

So I was almost there. Almost at least sure my hotas was not defective. Then I got the error....W :(

I'm not using the the software at all, only for 1:st initial calibration & then I've set it to "manual" in w10 startup, so it's off all the time.

Why do you need the Software?

Just set the x56 up trough DCS controls, it works very good, all axis & buttons are recognized. You have enough buttons to go without the Software & can use a modifier button to get double x56 functionality.;)

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I'm not using the the software at all, only for 1:st initial calibration & then I've set it to "manual" in w10 startup, so it's off all the time.

Why do you need the Software?

Just set the x56 up trough DCS controls, it works very good, all axis & buttons are recognized. You have enough buttons to go without the Software & can use a modifier button to get double x56 functionality.;)

Agree with this, DCS controller menu is quite good for setting up one's controllers with plenty of options available. Back when I was flying with the Warthog I got away from using TARGET for this reason , and is now my preference for setting up controllers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As CoBlue and dburne have mentioned, it's perfectly valid for you to just set up all of the controls in DCS whilst we try and work out why the software isn't profiling. Indeed many people prefer just setting things up from within the sim!

For our software I assume you've tried reinstalling the X56_HOTAS_x64_8.0.134.0.exe install file that you downloaded from our site? Also, if you create your own quick profile with just one or two commands assigned to buttons as a test does that do the same thing?

mien gott, the company that brought us the problematic G940 is now making an updated version of the problematic x55..... if I had read this a few days ago I would have assumed it be an april fools joke.

Will two wrongs make a right? :-)

As CoBlue and dburne have mentioned, it's perfectly valid for you to just set up all of the controls in DCS whilst we try and work out why the software isn't profiling. Indeed many people prefer just setting things up from within the sim!

For our software I assume you've tried reinstalling the X56_HOTAS_x64_8.0.134.0.exe install file that you downloaded from our site? Also, if you create your own quick profile with just one or two commands assigned to buttons as a test does that do the same thing?

1. There are some profile made by other people that I would like to try and maybe use. Im sorry but I expected the Supplied Profile in the Profile Pack and your software to...work. I have read reviews that the X55 Worked and I know that procedure for adding profiles to the computer and Profiling.
  2. When that works, I assume the Test Box will also work so we can test and make sure the hardware and programming is working.
  3. Yes I bought it new less than a month ago. The latest software is from June 2017. Yes Downloaded from your site. What is on your website does not work as advertised...period.
  4. I can appreciate the maturity DCS has and setting things up in game. But my expectations to be able to use the software as advertised and test other premade profiles are also valid. That ability will allow us to save a lot of time too. If it is never intended to work or Logitech doesnt want to fix the problem immediately, I think the Flight Sim community deserves to be notified and treated with respect. We should be told we are on our own and let us know when you take down and delete the Lock On Profile pulled out of your Profile Pack. Why ? So no one else has to go through this again. I'm sure someone in the world cares.
  5. Thanks again.

Edited by tothesky

Agree with this, DCS controller menu is quite good for setting up one's controllers with plenty of options available. Back when I was flying with the Warthog I got away from using TARGET for this reason , and is now my preference for setting up controllers.

While I don't use TARGET anymore either, it is a pain to setup the axis on all the planes - if you own a lot. So Target has the advantage of being easier to setup for multiple planes. And of course, you *can* do much more complicated actions with TARGET w/o having to change LUA files.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@tothesky I think you may be misunderstanding my line of inquiry. The profile works fine when we test it (and I'm sure others here would confirm the same) so the issue is with the way the software is working (or rather, NOT working) on your PC. As I said, I was simply suggesting getting the X56 set up within the game whilst we try and work out why the software isn't working.

Are you able to test other profiles, or indeed create a simple test profile to see if those work please? This is a good first step on troubleshooting this issue.

The second question would be whether you have a second PC that you can test the X56 on to see if the software does the same thing there. Again: not suggesting this is a solution, just troubleshooting.

I had to turn off the Antivirus program. Then it would profile and work! WTF! Support wants me to send screenshots after a week of questions. Never again.

I also found out that I have to " Clear " the green Rhino in the lower right or it will occasionally pop open file explorer....in my face. WTF! ??

Can you add the software as an exception/white list item in your A/V software? Which A/V software is it?!

Regarding the File Explorer windows popping up, there's got to be a command that is being activated on the HOTAS, although looking at the profile I can't find any button that has the Windows key assigned (File Explorer can be brought up by pressing Win + E) so that is unusual. Can you shed any light on where the Windows keypress might be coming from? (It could be any other device)

Hey, LogiRich.

Question for you about the new X-56: I've had my X-55 since 2014, and I like it a lot. However, I had to have my brother basically re-wire the entire throttle with better, more flexible wire due to a design flaw that kinked the wires every time the throttles were moved (good video description here:

). For me, this has been the only problem with my X-55 (probably what many don't realize is the cause of ghost button presses in the throttle) to date... and was fixed by my brother for $60. So, has this design flaw been addressed in the new x-56? If so, I'll definitely be buying it when my refurbished X-55 bites the dust.

Also, for what it's worth, the X-55 look (with the black and yellow caution patterns and red weapon-release buttons) was absolutely perfect, but the all black is a HUGE improvement over the blue/black unit.

Thanks!

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

@wilbur81 The wiring in the throttle was something that had already been addressed with the first version of the X56. The wiring issues in the X55 were not necessarily the cause of the ghost button presses - often that's cleared up by using a powered USB hub and ensuring the throttle is the only device on it. It's also highlighted by the fact that the same unit might exhibit this issue on one PC, but not on another.

@NineGzuz The ergonomics are the same. There are plenty of positive comments about the ergonomics as well though - the best thing to do is to try it!

LOGIRich, thank you for participation in this thread. Anyway I do not think G940 was such a bad product, the stick is solid and after some 5 years I still use it especially for helicopters. There is no other accessible FFB stick in the market and it would be great to have X-56 FFB version. People do not realize it but FFB trimming is a very important aspect in aircraft control, controlling helicopters without FFB is totally unrealistic experience. We strive on absolute precision in flight dynamics/graphics in sims, but do not have working/realistic controllers which are absolutely different to RL, apart digital FBW aircraft. So I hope there will be at least one FFB quality (even higher priced) product on the market I hope you can make it a reality. Thank you.

New X52 Poor Quality and Customer Support

I recently purchased 2 Saitek products, two X52 HOTAS one of which quit working, so I ordered a one X56 HOTAS while waiting for RMA on my X52. Logitech's support for Saitek is via e-mail only. It takes two to three days to get a response back from Saitek. It’s been 14 days now since I started my RMA on my X52 and I still don’t have an RMA. And don’t bother telling them your troubleshooting process, they will respond in two days telling you to go thru all the steps you already did, and then wait another two days to escalate to the next level; then another two days and another and so on.

Update: Saitek said X52s are out of stock and they offered me an X56 in lieu of.

Edited by STRYC