KA-50 Questions

LeCuvier

I have come back to the BS after a long time, and I'm struggling with 2 questions:

1. How to restore the full HUD with heading, speed etc. after combat mode?

2. How to initiate communication with mywingman when airborne?

I have set the SPU-9 switch to VHF2. But when I click the button bound to Communication Menu, the menu doesn't come up. What am I missing?

When I'm on the ground the menu works.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

2. How to initiate communication with mywingman when airborne?

I have set the SPU-9 switch to VHF2. But when I click the button bound to Communication Menu, the menu doesn't come up. What am I missing?

When I'm on the ground the menu works.

Wrong button. The button for the comms menu is an artifical game function and is disabled inflight unless you have easy comms activated in the difficulty settings. For proper comms you need to actual radio button. In the control settings it's usally labeled something like radio PTT, mic switch or similar.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1. How to restore the full HUD with heading, speed etc. after combat mode?

"Targetting Mode Reset" on the PVR panel (Backspace)

As bolek said, with a small addition. If you have used the canon as your last weapon, you have to deselect it too to return to HUD nav mode.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks guys!

COMMS menu is SPU-9 PTT and works fine.

The HUD has come back this time. I'm still a bit suspicious about the HUD though. I started a free flight mission today and the HUD showed only heading and altitude. Will keep watching this.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks guys!

COMMS menu is SPU-9 PTT and works fine.

The HUD has come back this time. I'm still a bit suspicious about the HUD though. I started a free flight mission today and the HUD showed only heading and altitude. Will keep watching this.

I think there is a system that needs about 3 minutes from activation to get ready, making speed not appear on the HUD for a while. If performing a manual ground startup that time is often passed at time of takeoff.

I don't remember any details, not even the name of the system in question.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Afaik there is at least 1 system in the Ka-50 that needs more than those 3min from Autostart, I just forgot which one it was...INU maybe...forgot...but since I am not in a hurry when i fly the Kamov I take it slow..5min...and then take off.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The autostart takes roughly 3 min to complete, yes, but that system I believe also take 3 min to start up properly. But since it's not activated immediately in autostart it will not be ready when the sequence tells you the aircraft is ready, but a while later.

This is just taken from memory, so I might possibly be wrong.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

no, you are right, I believe we both are actually, I bet we speak about the exact same thing.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The INU (INS) needs to align at startup which takes a few minutes. During the process a warning message is beeing displayed at the overhead panel saying something like "HUD not ready" or similar (I'm speaking from memory here). Once the alignment is complete the message will disappear and the HUD will appear. Only then you are clear for takeoff.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think there is a system that needs about 3 minutes from activation to get ready, making speed not appear on the HUD for a while.

Doppler Nav. 95% certain. ;)

The INU (INS) needs to align at startup which takes a few minutes.

It should, but doesn't. INU is insta-ready, Doppler-Nav is the system that actually takes time to come online. Again, I'm 95% certain. ;)

This is especially annoying when the generators are cut off by low RPM and the speed indication goes missing for another 2 or 3 minutes. This only affects the HUD Ground Speed Indication, though. The IAS steam gauge as well as the digital IAS readout in the Shkval will still be available.

It's what you come across when you flip the NAV/ПНК CB during startup — the radar altimeter and HSI will activate but HSI will still display the “Heading unreliable” КС flags (until you turn on INU) and you'll have the HUD NO READY/РАНЕТ warning light. After ~3 minutes, from that, the HUD comes on fully and you're good to go.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

It should, but doesn't. INU is insta-ready, Doppler-Nav is the system that actually takes time to come online. Again, I'm 95% certain. ;)

Interesting, thanks :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg