[HELP] Question regarding the BlackBox

33-DFTC

Hello guys,

I decided to update my BlackBox today and went to VKB's FTP. I noticed a new firmware dated July 31st 2018 and downloaded it (it was risky I know :x)

After downloading it, I went for Z-Bootloader to select the new firmware and clicked on "Flash it!". At some point, toward the end of the process, I got a "Download Fail" message in the dialogue box, I waited more than ten minutes and nothing happened, I was stuck at this step.

I first try to click on the "Reset" button but a "Device not ready" appeared. I felt bad when I unplugged the BlackBox, I knew it was bad sign.

At the moment the BlackBox does not show any light when I plug it to the computer. I can hear the windows sound when a USB cable is plugged but nothing appears. The device is not recognized by Windows, Z-Bootloader or VKBDevCfG. I think I might bricked it.

Anyone encountered this problem before ? If I could find a solution before opening a ticket with the VKB folks it'd be great. Thank you))

Edited by 33-DFTC

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I'd like to give an additional information I just noticed.

While Windows is not recognizing the device itself when I plug it, I still have the "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform" appearing in the "Devices" Windows Settings when I plug the BlackBox. It disapears as it should when I unplug it.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

After downloading it, I went for Z-Bootloader to select the new firmware and clicked on "Flash it!". At some point, toward the end of the process, I got a "Download Fail" message in the dialogue box, I waited more than ten minutes and nothing happened, I was stuck at this step.

Seems that you skip use VKB DevCFG or Wizzo-GF for put black box in bootloader mode before try use Z-Bootloader.

Ask for help in VKB forum.

I have the GF and the MCG Pro for over a year now and never experienced any problem when using Z-Bootloader.

I thought that the "Bootloader" button on VKBDevCfg was basically a shortcut to Z-Bootloader. Has something changed ? Last time I updated my BlackBox and MCG Pro was last January I think.

Anyway, I submitted a new message on the VKB Sim board, I'll have to wait. I'll come back and post the solution, if there is one))

As promised, I'm back with a solution to my problem.

I was struggling a bit with the support but I finally found a way to recover my BlackBox after being "bricked". I'll copy/paste the procedure I wrote on the VKB board :

• Start Menu -> Settings -> Devices
  • I selected "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform", then I deleted it.
  • I disconnected the BlackBox from the computer.
  • I launched Z-Bootloader.
  • I connected the BlackBox.
  • At this moment, the writing/reading problem had stopped, the device was ready and waiting.
  • I selected the previous firmware [...] and applied it - it just worked !