Difficult to use guns with TGP

Vampyr

The video means nothing if it is not known the software of the airplane and how the pilot has configured the various options.

OK, so DCS version is a fantasy suite which doesn't have an exact real life analog. But I ask again if IFFCC menu could be set "TDC symbol occluded by pipper" option to "No" would TGP diamond symbol be occluded by pipper?

TVV, TDC, steerpoint, TGP diamond, etc. are all different HUD symbols. Normal-option is gun pipper window blocks all of these I think we agree. But if IFFCC is set to allow some symbols to show in pipper window area, which ones are and which ones still aren't?

I really don't see why you would not want the diamond to be covered by the gun cross... The last thing you want is random symbols blocking your reticle from the target making you miss it.

If you are running in and just then starting to look for targets, than you are doing it wrong.

You should have the target in sight long before engaging it, and when you turn in use the diamond just for a quick reference point.

Put the TGP in INR, so when you fly over the target, the TGP doesn't lose sight, if you have to.

If you are still having issues, I believe that either your technic is flawed or/and your monitor(resolution) setup needs improoving.

Well, if the question is if this IFFCC option works as intended or not, that is a different story.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

You shouldnt rely on sensors during tracking phase.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

except when CCIP Gun Cross Occult is selected to NO. In this case, the gun cross will not occult sensor symbology in CCIP.
OK, so all sensor symbology which would include TGP diamond. And I understand that CCIP is a synonym for computed sight in this context.

Remember it's a simulator not a shouldulator. What you should do doesn't matter. A simulator must make the thing act like the thing.

Perhaps if TICs only occurred when the weather is day VFR, we wouldn't need to have things like sensor-aided strafe. Unfortunately, good guys need help even at night and during inclement westher. You can't just say things like, "you should see a target long before engaging it".

Night vision and night vision + sparkle. Even at night, you won't be using the TGP diamond to shoot randomly into the night.

You won't be risking your life, going into pitch darkness, trying to figure out where the target is in the meantime.... ow shit, where did that three come form.

Also, by using sensor you "see" the target, so I don't see what your point is. Nobody has said, that you cannot uses sensors to find your target. Correct me if I am wrong, but the topic at hand is when you are already doing an attack run.

In reality (the current state the aircraft is being used for CAS), I believe they depend a lot on visual identification of the target(which is faster), as they are flying low and slow anyway. Look at a lot of the a-10 videos and documentaries.

Hey, but at the end of the day.... it is whatever floats your boat, but if your boat is sinking, it might not be the boats fault :lol:

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I learned a useful trick that might be relevant here. I had remembered reading somewhere that during desert storm Hog pilots would hold on to one maverick and use it as a poor mans FLIR pod when searching for targets at night. I tried this out and it led me to discover that the maverick sensor symbol, in the HUD, is not covered by the gun reticle. So you can use the mavericks sensor as a target aim point when its locked on a target . Its very effective at night when you can barley see anything.

Setup is simple: master mode to gun, tgp on left MFCD, Mavrick as sensor on right MFCD

Here's the work flow: target spotted in TGP > Make SPI > Slew maverick to SPI > Dive on target> Maverick track(TMS FWD short) > Fly the gun reticle onto the center dot of the maverick sensor symbol> Once on target engage first trigger stage> Fire when in desired range.

This method allowed me to finally get reliable gun kills at night. It does mean that you have to hold onto a maverick until your gun ammo is gone.

Here's an old video showing what im talking about. sorry for bad resolution. I need to redo the video sometime.

Edited by tstorey2

Or...just change the CCIP gun cross occult setting and use the CCIP HUD mode...

Based on what the fellow who actually knows what he's talking about tells us these options should be more robust, and should include GUNS mode, but as it stands this method still works just fine in CCIP and doesn't require an assymetric maverick loadout or other funny workaround.

• Like 1

the maverick trick was for the A version hogs.

they cant carry the litening pod so used a maverick as a poor mans litening pod and thermal sight.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 10 months later...

A piece of combat footage tells a thousand words! First gun run shows the occlusion nicely

Bonus points for who can explain why the sight goes "CCIP invalid" on Hog1's second pass! (target elevation is obviously still below aircraft)

In the end of run he is below the steerpoint elevation ? :dontgetit: