What model / batch is the aircraft in? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #31
Etirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
There's also a difference in how the Typhoon has been operated between the UK and Germany/Spain/Italy.

In UK service it replaced the Tornado fairly quickly, so the multi-role capability was needed earlier. Italy and Germany are still flying their Tornadoes; Italy is replacing them with the F35, and Germany is expected to replace them with a mix of Super Hornets/Growlers and Typhoons. I don't know about Spain but I imagine they have the Hornets for A2G stuff.
The Luftwaffe replacement for the tornadoes is still to be decided, its not Super Hornets/Growlers AND typhoon, its OR. With the new proposed Typhoon ECR
Etirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #32
exile2256

I wasn’t expecting this! Good luck guys, you’re definitely going to need it. See you in a couple of years.
exile2256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #33
mattebubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etirion View Post
The Luftwaffe replacement for the tornadoes is still to be decided, its not Super Hornets/Growlers AND typhoon, its OR. With the new proposed Typhoon ECR

https://www.defensenews.com/global/e...-tornado-jets/
mattebubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #34
Kev2go
Veteran

Quote:
There's also a difference in how the Typhoon has been operated between the UK and Germany/Spain/Italy.

In UK service it replaced the Tornado fairly quickly, so the multi-role capability was needed earlier. Italy and Germany are still flying their Tornadoes; Italy is replacing them with the F35, and Germany is expected to replace them with a mix of Super Hornets/Growlers and Typhoons. I don't know about Spain but I imagine they have the Hornets for A2G stuff.

So why cant they just use 1 aircraft to fill role of a2a and a2g? Like the UK has been doing? If it's just a matter of quantity, then just by more ef's.

The ef is capable of multirole use. And I'm sure more weapon types could be integrated if needed.

Operating 2 different aircraft where training and logistics s are not interchangable for two different roles isnt the most practical or cost effective

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD.

Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #35
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
So why cant they just use 1 aircraft to fill role of a2a and a2g? Like the UK has been doing? If it's just a matter of quantity, then just by more ef's.

I honestly don't know, I guess it's a matter of doctrine. In Italy, even in the 70s and early 80s when the main air to air and air to ground aircraft was the F-104, you had squadrons flying different roles with slightly different versions of the aircraft, rather than everyone doing both.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #36
Etirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebubben View Post
Ah thats very recent news, I hadnt seen that yet. Although it seems to be the plan not a confirmation right now.
Etirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #37
AeriaGloria

Quote:
I honestly don't know, I guess it's a matter of doctrine. In Italy, even in the 70s and early 80s when the main air to air and air to ground aircraft was the F-104, you had squadrons flying different roles with slightly different versions of the aircraft, rather than everyone doing both.
I always heard it’s becuase Typhoon ECR won’t be ready for a long time and they don’t want to open up the Typhoon to American nuclear integration, so the Growler is a MOTS solution for ECR replacement and NATO obligation to provide a nuclear platform
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #38
Kev2go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
I always heard it’s becuase Typhoon ECR won’t be ready for a long time and they don’t want to open up the Typhoon to American nuclear integration, so the Growler is a MOTS solution for ECR replacement and NATO obligation to provide a nuclear platform
But the ECR is a 2 seater SEAD dedicated variant of EF. (its probably thier idea of a Growler). Its focus is not nuclear strike

i dont see why as an interim they cant made a a deal with USA to sell them some AGM88's and integrate those in for some form of SEAD capability for the single seat. ( since UK no longer produces ALARM and the MOD in thier infinite wisdom decided to scrap them from inventory)

If the older legacy platforms like F16 and Hornet have been able to do it all, why can't the EF being expanded on for additional versatility? Especially for nations with smaller defense budget.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb ram (2666 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD.

Last edited by Kev2go; 03-27-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #39
AeriaGloria

Even with HARMs they still need the capability to have American B61s integrated for NATO commitments. The Growler ticks all those boxes.

Im sure they would be just as uneasy opening up the Typhoon to US for HARM integration as they are about B61
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #40
Kev2go
Veteran

Quote:
F104 aint the best comparison as that is a much older aircraft design, and from a timeframe where avionics were analog. Back in those days you practically needed to have 2 separate A2A and A2G aircraft to be good at both roles
BY todays standards it an old way of doing things, and certainly not efficient on more modest military budgets.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Last edited by Kev2go; 03-27-2020 at 08:38 PM.