My BAUR BRD-F3 Rudder Pedals arrived today. Unboxing Pics!

So, the next step is to build a wooden base to a) allow a more stable platform for the seat,

Does anyone here have an idea how to accomplish such build? Have to admit, I am not very handy at that stuff. :)

My wooden base.

_c66e6a90c8cd198aff61810b8eefd651.thumb.jpg.9d50df39f3352d865aa3c31957cc5a63.jpg

Also you can do base from this

blank-metallbau-aluminiumprofile.jpg

For example, perhaps it would be useful

post-354-0-64449300-1431441806.jpg

post-354-0-48674000-1431435259.jpg

post-346-0-67982900-1471319081.jpg

CPU i7-4790k/ zotac GTX1080/ ОЗУ 16Gb/ Philips 40" 3840x2160/ джойстик BRD-N(v. №4) + педали BRD-F2 restyling + WW2-DVik Throttle(MMJoy2)/ TrackIR5 pro/

https://cults3d.com/ru/polzovateli/abelnaitrod/tvoreniya

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aluminium. That's gotta be expensive... :(

EDIT: Forgot to mention - love that wooden base solution; I guess your using that with an office chair?

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

@Krysnic - I have to ask; what do you think of the BAUR stick and the gimbal, etc? Very curious!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Velcro is kind of a pain, IMO. Over time, the tacky side comes off as you constantly pull it on and off. The problem is that it's easy to attach, but too hard to take off when you can't "peel" from one of the corners. I much prefer the friction pads like you see in the picture I posted. In the picture, I just have it sitting between the floor and the board holding my joystick/rudder. But what I did was attached the left and the right loose ends to the side of the board. This way, you can pick up the bottom side (that's why the rope is there on the bottom) and slide it around. The friction pad doesn't go all the way to the top. Simple, effective, and easy to move around. The friction pads can be found on Amazon. Just search for "non-slip rug pad" like this one

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I secure the pedals to a heavy rubber mat, using zip ties.

Then I put my chair (or, at least, the front two legs) on the mat.

I can kick those pedals to kingdom come and back, and they're not budging an inch!

I had to poke holes through the rubber mat for the zip ties, so it's possible that over time these might tear or widen. So a better long term solution might be the wooden board trick (pedals fixed to wooden board, two holes cut in board to fit chair legs through to secure), or grommets or something else to protect the mat material from further tearing.

• Like 1

Basically you could take a 2x8 from the lumber store, saw it off at the length you want, and screw stuff to it and it would be a wooden base. The lumber store will probably cut it for you if you don't own a saw.

If you get an eye hook and screw it in the front edge of the board dead center, you would also have a point to clip it in to your chair so you don't roll away from it when working the pedals.

Or in your case you could put a couple eye hooks on either edge, and latch it to the frame of your ozone with some kind of adjustable straps, then when you press the pedals that will hold it in place. The strap from a laptop bag would be ideal for that and they even have nice clips on them already. The nice thing about that is it provides a secure and adjustable distance at which you can place the pedals from your chair. This is what I do with the wheelstand pro, an old SKS sling and a carbiner. Of course you don't really need it to be removable as I do, so you could just affix it to the ozone frame some other more permanent way, such as drilling new holes through the bottom pipe and just screwing the board to the steel with long pan head screws.

Edited by FeistyLemur
  • Like 1

Then basically you can buy a can of flat black spray paint, paint the board black, and it will match your no-zone. That front bar that sits on the ground would be ideal to screw a 2x8 to that runs from the bar to the wall. Or if you don't want to do that, get a couple of big rubber coated circle hooks instead, screw them to the leading edge of the board on either side, and you can slop that right on top of that black leading bar and it will hold the whole apparatus in place.

Edited by FeistyLemur

That front bar that sits on the ground would be ideal to screw a 2x8 to that runs from the bar to the wall.

Hmm, I have a hard time visualizing your idea here... details? :)

Then basically you can buy a can of flat black spray paint, paint the board black, and it will match your no-zone.

Or, as suggested by ATAG_INVICTUS over at the IL2 forums, use some cheap industrial carpet and tack it onto that base... Seems to work for him. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I used to use rubber drawer liner to secure pedals to the floor but I didn't like it. It would get dusty and they would slide around anyway.

If you have a board that goes from the base of the frame to the baseboard on the wall though, it's going to stop against the wall anyway and you don't need to worry about affixing it. In that case drawer liner rubber would work just fine most likely to add extra tackiness. And all it will cost you is the cost of a single 2x8, can of paint, and some drawer liner. A good chunk of fir 2x8 is nice and heavy too.

I should work for thrustmaster. I could call it the slab of frikin' wood pro, and sell it for $99.95

Edited by FeistyLemur

I used to use rubber drawer liner to secure pedals to the floor but I didn't like it. It would get dusty and they would slide around anyway.

If you have a board that goes from the base of the frame to the baseboard on the wall though, it's going to stop against the wall anyway and you don't need to worry about affixing it. In that case shelf liner rubber would work just fine most likely to add extra tackiness. And all it will cost you is the cost of a single 2x8, can of paint, and some drawer liner. A good fir 2x8 is nice and heavy too.

Oh now I get it. You suggested to bolt the front of the Obutto seat to a piece of wood that would extend all the way to the wall, and then mount the rudders to the end of that piece, right? That's another simple solution! Good idea! :)

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Today I am trying out the Su-35 inspired pedals, and so far they're quite comfy. From what I understand, the modern jet style pedals are basically only used by the pilot when needed (maneuvering, taxiing/braking on the ground), while the WWII-style pedals were crucial to be used more-or-less all the time, so the pilot would literally strap into those, and his heels were planted on the heel rest, totally connected to the flight controls all the time!

In contrast the modern jet pedals allow you to take you feet off of them, and plant them on the floor. When needed, you just start using them, placing your arch of your feet on that black rubber area. That's why they are designed the way they are.

The only problem with shifting from the floor to these pedals is that the whole unit tends to tip to either side unless you have both feet on them; so until I hard mount them onto the floor (or the base that I intend to build), this solution is not stable when moving your feet from the floor to the pedals and vice versa. Maybe it's best to stick with the WWII-style ones for now, as they have this awesome heel rest for prolonged support - and you simply place your feet onto those once and leave them there all the time. :)

Anyway, some new pics:

iCNWbcX.jpg

HD7nh8t.jpg

UYWqfpd.jpg

QlHRWgW.jpg

c2QWulX.jpg

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Wonderful new acquisition! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing those pics (and thanks to Baur for creating such great devices).

Do you have any idea about the movement range for one pedal (from the neutral position to full forward position)?

Any idea why the main "arm" is designed like an arc? (reducing the lateral movement? bending-proof? cat-traction?)

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Any idea why the main "arm" is designed like an arc? (reducing the lateral movement? bending-proof? cat-traction?)

Wow, that's smart.

:thumbup:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Спасибо, Baur ;)

Two answers in one picture! :thumbsup:

No need for any spacer, that's great.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

No need for any spacer, that's great.

Exactly. I was surprised when I pushed the BAUR BRDs against my wall, I still had full rudder deflection! I really thought I would have to look for a piece of wood or something acting as a spacer, but no - not with these! :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Oh, and back to the topic of base-building for my Obutto seat and Baur BRD pedals - Baur himself seems to be working (or at least designed) a "modular cockpit concept" that includes a base that he came up with... see here:

file.php?id=5443

Source (let Google auto-translate from Russian):

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=722

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thank you for the additional information, Baur! And thanks for being here on the forums as well; much appreciated! :) Your overall responsiveness and your willingness to help and answer questions is rather refreshing! :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Your overall responsiveness and your willingness to help and answer questions is rather refreshing! :thumbup:
You are not familiar with my work. It is necessary to fix :)

I am a virtual pilot. I am also keen on flights of like you. I know what to virtual pilots. I made for a control device. I'm happy. Now I want you to be as happy as I am :)

---------- Head Designer ----------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]