Notices

Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacs View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions!
The range is what I expected

Are there any Quest/Link DCS players around who can say if there is enough lag, to be a concern?
Would instruments, MFDs and HUDs still be readable?

Cheers,

Emacs
I don't see any lag when I was trying my Quest with Link, using the official Oculus Link cable.
I prefer my Rift S though mainly for comfort.
Instruments were just as readable to me as I get with my Rift S. Not perfect by any means, but certainly doable.

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Taz1004

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions!
The range is what I expected

Are there any Quest/Link DCS players around who can say if there is enough lag, to be a concern?
Would instruments, MFDs and HUDs still be readable?

Cheers,

Emacs
You simply have to try it. When it comes to VR, what's good for one may be totally unacceptable for others. We don't know what's "enough' for you to be concerned.

Also, just as with computer speeds, once you try something better, it's hard to go back to lower quality. So until you try something in the higher end, lower end may be good enough for you.

Last edited by Taz1004; 06-02-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Taz1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #13
Emacs

Ok. Got a Quest and the link cable should arrive tomorrow!

So far I‘m totally blown away by the image quality, the ability to walk around and the two controllers (only having used an Oculus Go so far). Beat Sabre alone should keep me entertained until the link cable arrives.

Is there anything about the setup to use it with DCS?
Just install the Link software and configure the VR setup in DCS?
Or do I need something else?

Cheers,

Emacs
Emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #14
Milou

Rift S is a well balanced first gen product. I've been very happy it, but I am likely to upgrade to G2. (I also loathe facebook... so yeah... had to hold my nose getting the Rift S. Opted out of everything in software!).
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). VKB Gunfighter 3 base with T/M Warthog grip, T/M Hornet grip and VKB F-14 grip, T/M throttle and Slaw Viper RX pedals.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #15
GunSlingerAUS

Be warned, if you go Reverb, you will have to live with reprojection on, all the time. My 2080 Ti did so, and I hated it.
Intel i7-9700K OCd @ 5GHz; 32GB DDR4 3666MHz; RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI mobo; 2x2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSDs; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp w/ Sennheiser HD800S; LG C9 55" Display (4k@60Hz); HP Reverb; Warthog Throttle; Virpil Mongoose + F-16/F-14/F-18 grips; Crosswind pedals; TrackIR5;
GunSlingerAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Ok. Got a Quest and the link cable should arrive tomorrow!

So far I‘m totally blown away by the image quality, the ability to walk around and the two controllers (only having used an Oculus Go so far). Beat Sabre alone should keep me entertained until the link cable arrives.

Is there anything about the setup to use it with DCS?
Just install the Link software and configure the VR setup in DCS?
Or do I need something else?

Cheers,

Emacs
Yep that is about it.
All you need to do in Nvidia Control Panel is set DCS.exe to "prefer maximum performance".
Leave the rest at default and make your gfx settings in the game GUI.
First thing I would do after you have the device hooked up, go into the UI layer in DCS control setup menu, and assign VR re-center and the two VR zoom levels to buttons on your HOTAS.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #17
Emacs

I do have the TM Warthog but still there are things I want to click in the cockpit.
What do you use to interact with cockpit switches?
Mouse or VR controllers?

Seems to bit of a pain to let go of the stick and then fumble around in the dark to find the mouse or controller....

Cheers,

Emacs
Emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #18
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
I do have the TM Warthog but still there are things I want to click in the cockpit.
Mouse or VR controllers?

Seems to bit of a pain to let go of the stick and then fumble around in the dark to find the mouse or controller....

Cheers,

Emacs
I myself prefer the mouse over the controllers. I have a pull out piece of wood built into my desk on both left and right sides, so I pull the one on right out when I can lay mouse on and it is right next to my arm.
Note you can also assign mouse functions to buttons on your HOTAS as well.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #19
eaglecash867

Quote:
Mouse or VR controllers?

Cheers,

Emacs
I use the mouse to click on buttons and switches in the cockpit too. Its a little clunky at first, but you get used to it. Much easier than trying to use VR controllers because the mouse is always sitting right there on a flat surface.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #20
Svsmokey
Veteran

A trackball offers the advantage of always being in the same place while in VR .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote