Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #21
kievbsm

The same for me except a JF-17
I've gone to F-16C hangar
kievbsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #22
Sybreed

so I guess they haven't fixed the special modes for the radar? I made a thread about this in September saying how bugged they were. They couldn't get a lock on anything over 3nm
Sybreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #23
mungo13

I have read few threads as I'd like to start flying finally (or better: start to learn to fly these things) and my question is: Is Mirage worth the time I have for flying?
Or is it better to switch my attention to another module (Mig-21/A-10C or buying one more)?

As some time after I had bought this module I printed manual as I prefer paper over PC screen. And shortly after they changed the module so there was information that my manual is just outdated (not that cheap waste now). And I do not want to spend time on something that might be overhauled again after myself spending hours to learn the stuff.
mungo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #24
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo13 View Post
I have read few threads as I'd like to start flying finally (or better: start to learn to fly these things) and my question is: Is Mirage worth the time I have for flying?
I enjoy the Mirage but I'm only dipping into it now and then, as I have other modules to play with.

It's an enjoyable module but still very much WIP as it's refactored to meet the AdA's requirements.

Unfortunately this, plus the 2.5.6 beta changes, break some of Baltic Dragons training missions and SP campaign triggers, etc. and you can't be sure what will or will not work until both 2.5.6 and Mirage development has settle down.

Quote:
Or is it better to switch my attention to another module (Mig-21/A-10C or buying one more)?
If your time is limited, you likely should focus on older/more complete modules A-10C, Ka-50, etc. perhaps even the F/A-18C as it nears maturity.

That said, there's still a lot of fun to be had out of the Mirage i.e. it's one of the easier modules to learn, so YMMV.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #25
ak22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugais View Post
I will reply from the perspective of someone who flies only one aircraft, the Mirage 2000.

In the present state I would not recommend the Mirage to a close friend looking for a study sim level module. The Mirage had several updates a few months ago - including the new cockpit which is fantastic - but unfortunately, these updates brought down some critical aspects of the sim (the radar being one).

If you plan to fly the Mirage casually you will probably be fine and have a lot of fun with her. The handling is outstanding and place the aircraft on the top of DCS modules dogfighter. This is also an excellent introductory module, easy to learn, hard to master.

The most recent bug reports made by some of the most regarded players in the Mirage community :
  • AG weapons: going into attack mode triggers AA radar close combat mode.
  • radar elevation control bugged: you can't trust the min/ max altitude values next to radar cursor as soon as you move up/ down the scan zone.
  • TWS: detect only one target.
  • Bore sight mode: offset to the right
  • Vertical scan: offset to the right. vertically it scans +/-15° instead of -10°/+50°
  • SVI & vertical scan (depending on selected weapon) are triggered before bore sight.
  • You can change radar range in close combat mode (it should be 10Nm scale only)
  • The radar screen displays line number setting even when using 1 line mode (like displays 4 in TWS which is 1 line only...it should not)
  • The symbols used to identify contacts on top or bottom line (V with wings or under lined) are now unusable. Like target at the same altitude, radar elevation 0° on 4 lines scan mode. The contacts should be detected on line 2 & 3 (with overlap). So it should be displayed as simple V. Currently it's switching between V with wings and V
  • Waypoint positions are bugged. Waypoints don't appear in the game world where you set them in the ME. This, coupled with #1, makes IP bombing useless. It also means the Mirage cannot drop on a waypoint or perform any cold war style strike mission.
  • IP bombing is not consent to release like it should be.

These reports come from Jojo and LastRifleRound. Some are new and have been introduced in the last updates, some are in the sim for at least 18 months. For the moment we don't know when the Mirage coder will be back, last time we heard of him was on December 5th on Discord to announced he had to move on something else - no, he didn't tell us.

At the end of the day, you only have two choices :
- Flying the Mirage for fun and at times, in this case go for it !
- Diving into a study sim as close as possible to the real things thanks to the Armée de l'Air input, at the moment it's a "meh …". You will have to decide if some of the bugs listed here are problematic for you.

We've been in a pretty rough situation lately. The Mirage squadron I fly with had lost 60% of its pilots in the last year because they could not wait for the bug fixes. The bright side is the Razbam update for 2020 that assured us to complete the module this year. Some of us still have faith.

Are these bugs still present? are the issues on beta or stable I am considering buying the Mirage this current sale.
ak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #26
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak22 View Post
Are these bugs still present?
AFAIK ...

Quote:
• Waypoint positions are bugged. Waypoints don't appear in the game world where you set them in the ME. This, coupled with #1, makes IP bombing useless. It also means the Mirage cannot drop on a waypoint or perform any cold war style strike mission.
• IP bombing is not consent to release like it should be
... are still WIP.

The latest OB update made significant changes to the radar. I'd need more flight time to be certain all the old bugs are squashed but it "feels" much better.

Quote:
... are the issues on beta or stable
IIRC,

• stable - 2.5.5, mission triggers, etc. are good but the M2K radar has a number of WIP bugs
• beta - 2.5.6, broke some missions, the latest beta update seems to have fixed/changed many of the previous radar issues, I would need to replay the missions to know if the triggers, etc. are working again.

Quote:
I am considering buying the Mirage this current sale.
Initial impressions after the latest OB patch is that the Mirage is in the best state it's been in for for several (6) months, it would seem a good time to buy but YMMV.

Last edited by Ramsay; 04-17-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Add detail
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #27
ak22

Thank you for the reply
ak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
jojo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
AFAIK ...

... are still WIP.

The latest OB update made significant changes to the radar. I'd need more flight time to be certain all the old bugs are squashed but it "feels" much better.

IIRC,

• stable - 2.5.5, mission triggers, etc. are good but the M2K radar has a number of WIP bugs
• beta - 2.5.6, broke some missions, the latest beta update seems to have fixed/changed many of the previous radar issues, I would need to replay the missions to know if the triggers, etc. are working again.

Initial impressions after the latest OB patch is that the Mirage is in the best state it's been in for for several (6) months, it would seem a good time to buy but YMMV.
Some bugs have been fixed.

The radar elevation control is still bugged, but vertical scan is effective again, even if I can’t be sure about the exact angles*

AG HOTAS is fixed and work reliably again without involving AA radar.
I tried with BL, BF, GBU-12, AG gun.

People put too much emphasis on IP bombing.
Direct CCPL have a CEP around 20-30m. With IP CCPL you would have a CEP around 100m and more.
This is back up mode for direct CCPL or stand off attack on large targets but without too much expectation about accuracy.
Speaking about Cold War, Mirage 2000C pilots would merely train for AG.

* [edit] after test, it seems that in vertical scan the antenna elevation bug on VTB is scanning between -10° and +50° which is good news
https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Last edited by jojo; 04-17-2020 at 11:19 PM.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote