Whats she like to fly? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
ak22

Default Whats she like to fly?

I'm considering getting the F-5E but wondering what its like to fly? I am a new player looking to take advantage of the sale, I currently own the F-16C & MIG 21 BIS i struggle with MIG.
Can you be a bit rougher on the stick with the F-5E compared to the mig? the cockpit looks like its bit easier to process information quickly, also whats the radar like?
ak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Yes, you can be rougher on the stick. It's a really forgiving aircraft, meaning that you can yank on the stick and you won't directly crash, stall or spin. The Tiger also feels quite nice in the air and has some decent performance.

The radar is okay, for it's age. You can see big targets up to 40NM and lock onto them at 10NM, while having the radar and gunsight showing the locked targets position.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
aceviper

She was a handful until I put curves in axis..now she behaves nicely!
aceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
statrekmike

You can be a bit rougher but it is like any other aircraft in the sense that you do need to be aware of stall speeds and such. If the MiG-21 is giving you trouble in that regard, it might be a sign that you should work on developing a lighter hand on the stick since that will help you in not only the MiG but also every other module (including the F-5).

The radar is a interesting thing. Like the MiG-21 an the MiG-19, the radar isn't really meant to search for targets at all and is more of a fire control radar for your guns once you are in range to attack. You would not really use your own radar to find targets anyway as other external radar assets are going to be guiding you to the target anyway (like AWACS or some form of GCI).

The F-5 module is great as long as you understand what you are actually getting. The version we have is essentially more of a air combat trainer (it is specifically modeled after a DACT aircraft) and as such, it isn't really intended for front line combat scenarios. You can "get by" in such scenarios but you will inevitably see why the versions of the F-5 that got exported and used as front line combat aircraft were modified over time to be more combat capable with better radar, more avionics, and more reasonable weapon selections.
statrekmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
ak22

My main issue with the mig is the view i much prefer the look of the F-5E especially after flying the F-16C, and it tends to bobble up and down a lot...
Old 04-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
razo+r
Veteran

Well, F-5 is similar yet different to bobble up and down. It does not trim itself and needs a lot of it if you want to fly straight, but it's not as wobbly as the MiG-21
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:38 AM   #7
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak22 View Post
I'm considering getting the F-5E but wondering what its like to fly? I am a new player looking to take advantage of the sale, I currently own the F-16C & MIG 21 BIS i struggle with MIG.
Can you be a bit rougher on the stick with the F-5E compared to the mig? the cockpit looks like its bit easier to process information quickly, also whats the radar like?
If you're wondering about it's handling characteristics, i.e. how it responds to the control and how it behaves itself in the air, you'll *love* the F-5. It's a really fantastic flying aircraft. Lightning-fast roll rate, very stall resistant. Nice and smooth but very 'sharp' control response--a great handler!

It doesn't have an enormous amount of thrust, though. It's not a plane that will hold an 8g turn without dropping speed.

It's weapons and radar are limited, but appropriate for an older, inexpensive small fighter.

Frankly, my favourite thing about it is the theme music. Set the F-5 wallpaper on, and you have a fantastic, moving soundtrack while you poke around in DCS settings and menus. The music is second to none, the guitarist kicks ass

AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Fiachra

I would recommend the F-5 as a beginner plane. It is easy to fly and very stable. Controls and systems are very straight forward, I actually found it much better for learning ground attack procedures than the the C-101.
Fiachra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #9
ak22

Thank you all for the reply I might get the plane still considering the AV-8B aswell... to many planes to choose form...
Old 04-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
kengou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak22 View Post
Thank you all for the reply I might get the plane still considering the AV-8B aswell... to many planes to choose form...
The F-5 certainly feels nice to fly around. And it has a nice roll rate at combat speeds. But it’s also got weak engines and very few weapons. And air to ground combat is totally manual.

If you want capability and content in a non FBW plane the Harrier is certainly a great choice. And honestly not much worse than the F-5 in air combat either.
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote