DCS: F-14 Status Update - Page 22 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #211
Mower
Veteran
 
Mower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Some of these blokes are gonna be surprised that the AWG 9 doesn't sport a circular radar and beep when it detects a target.

Also I mild downer is the Tomcat doesnt support Slammers...(correct me if Im wrong).
__________________
<HOOK TO STEEL!>
Current owner of DCS F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14B, A-10C, F5E, FC3, BS2, CA.
Mower is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #212
Swordsman422
Member
 
Swordsman422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower View Post
Also I mild downer is the Tomcat doesnt support Slammers...(correct me if Im wrong).
Tested but not used operationally.

I personally wouldn't consider this a downer of any kind.
__________________
Yeah, I'll be that guy, too:

CPU: i7-7700k 4.5 GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080ti
HD: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB 15k RPM HDD
OS: Win 10 Pro
Swordsman422 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #213
Mower
Veteran
 
Mower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman422 View Post
Tested but not used operationally.

I personally wouldn't consider this a downer of any kind.

Then you have not used a well-modelled AIM120, say in that other hardcore sim, we are not permitted here to mention.


The Slammer, when used with TWS, allows you to engage multiple targets at once and still increase your A-Pole by cranking during missile time of flight.


Supporting the SARH Sparrow all the way to impact invites eating a return missile.
__________________
<HOOK TO STEEL!>
Current owner of DCS F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14B, A-10C, F5E, FC3, BS2, CA.
Mower is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #214
Victory205
Member
 
Victory205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower View Post
Then you have not used a well-modelled AIM120, say in that other hardcore sim, we are not permitted here to mention.


The Slammer, when used with TWS, allows you to engage multiple targets at once and still increase your A-Pole by cranking during missile time of flight.


Supporting the SARH Sparrow all the way to impact invites eating a return missile.
Wow. If the F14 could only do that...
__________________
Originally Posted by Larkis

“Imo im glad he is gone. He was a really mean, narcissistic and disrespectfull person. Everyone has to cheer him that hecwas a real tomcat driver and only his way is the best way. And when you question him or want to discuss stuff like "shutdown hud for landing" he get angry and offensive very fast. Im glad he is gone...”

Last edited by Victory205; 02-22-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Victory205 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #215
ironcross
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 59
Default this is killing me

any way to tell when we can have it?
ironcross is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #216
razo+r
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross View Post
any way to tell when we can have it?
Yes. We'll get it this year.
razo+r is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #217
Mower
Veteran
 
Mower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Wow. If the F14 could only do that...

With the Phoenixes yes, not the SARH Great White Hope.

But you have to ask yourself if a AIM54 is able to kill a relatively nimble fighter out at say 60-100 miles when he knows the missile is inbound. (If Im being spiked by an OPFOR Tomcat, I will assume a Phoenix is inbound an jink accordingly.)

AFAIK the AIM54 was designed to kill anti-ship missile laden bombers from extreme range before they could launch their missiles at the Carrier, the Tomcat is of course a Fleet Defender, an interceptor by design. I think such a heavy bomber would have trouble evading the inbound Phoenix or, if it can by jettisoning its stores, at least you achieved a "mission kill" on it, thereby still protecting the fleet.

You are a RL Turkey Driver, I am not.

So, if I have erred, do please correct me. The topic fascinates me and I love to learn.

__________________
<HOOK TO STEEL!>
Current owner of DCS F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14B, A-10C, F5E, FC3, BS2, CA.
Mower is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #218
hughlb
Member
 
hughlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcross View Post
any way to tell when we can have it?
Winter 2019 - Which means, between now and March 22 - that news has been available for several months.
__________________
| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

hughlb is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #219
moonshot
Junior Member
 
moonshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Playa Azul
Posts: 50
Default

The one I honestly feel most bad for in this situation is Meteor. They were probably asked to have the album completed literally years ago. That’s years of potential publicity, exposure, touring income and who knows what else just sitting on the metaphorical shelf.
I just hope this ends up having been worth it for everyone involved, HB and Meteor especially.
__________________
ASUS Maximus Hero IX with i7 7700K OC’d to 4.8Ghz. EVGA 1080 ti. RAM 32GB DDR4. Old Samsung 1080p TV, hopefully VR soon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
moonshot is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #220
shagrat
ED Translator
 
shagrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 11,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower View Post
With the Phoenixes yes, not the SARH Great White Hope.

But you have to ask yourself if a AIM54 is able to kill a relatively nimble fighter out at say 60-100 miles when he knows the missile is inbound. (If Im being spiked by an OPFOR Tomcat, I will assume a Phoenix is inbound an jink accordingly.)

AFAIK the AIM54 was designed to kill anti-ship missile laden bombers from extreme range before they could launch their missiles at the Carrier, the Tomcat is of course a Fleet Defender, an interceptor by design. I think such a heavy bomber would have trouble evading the inbound Phoenix or, if it can by jettisoning its stores, at least you achieved a "mission kill" on it, thereby still protecting the fleet.

You are a RL Turkey Driver, I am not.

So, if I have erred, do please correct me. The topic fascinates me and I love to learn.

Just reading "Iranian F-14 Tomcat units in combat". If you would ask the Iraqi "nimble fighter" pilots downed by an AIM-54A they would likely disagree. The kill board is quite impressive MiG-21, MiG-23, Mirage F 1EQ, Su-20, MiG-25, Su-22M, Mirage 5, MiG-27... and Tu-22 of course, but that's not a fighter.
__________________
Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.