AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Hi all, is it worth this module? I'm thinking about buying it in EA, and it's true that the discount is great when compared to the final price, but I have doubts. What do you think?

Thanks.

From a complexity level it looks like something between the Mirage and the A-10C.

Otherwise it is the first high fidelity V/STOL aircraft in DCS if not from the simulated depth and flight model, ever on the civilian market.

If you are interested in the aircraft, the $20 is a considerable savings.

If you are not into early access and want to have a complete product, buy now and have a first look on EA and wait until it's finished.

The only alternative would be to wait until release and pay full, or wait even longer for a sale later...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, is it worth this module? I'm thinking about buying it in EA, and it's true that the discount is great when compared to the final price, but I have doubts. What do you think?

Thanks.

The question is if you're a fan of this aircraft - and since you're asking if to get it, I assume that probably not so much. Options that you have:

1. Get it now, "save" 20$. In result you get it discounted and you get it now. On the negative side be prepared that it's not completed, there are bugs including some obvious and extreamly frustrating as well the manual is not even close to be completed or even can be misleading in some places.

2. Get it later, possibly waiting for a sale. You can save more than 20$ and the module will be a bit more mature. At least the first day, most frustrating bugs should be gone. On negative side you'll have to wait and dont know exactly when the module will come on sales (though its not a question if but when)

3. Get it when it's released. In theory bugs should be gone. It's only a theory though as there always are going to be some bugs. Comparing to the early access release the module should be generally complete, including the manual and even possibly additional content like training missions, single player misssions and campaign. You'll save yourself some frustration from running into the problems or even the back and forth functionality changes in how the things work. On the negative side you'll need to wait probably 2 years (or even more - check Mirage) during which you could have enjoyed the plane.

If I can suggest something, in DCS the option no. 3 is just unrealistic. Pick 1 or 2 depending on the developer history of how much feature complete and how the development progress looked like.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

...and the Harrier as one asset beside all the asm-features that are or are not included. It will be a challange to fly let alone to master flightwise - just check out the recent review vids on youtube. We all will presumably and probably spend some considerable time just getting familiar with fligth characteristics and even more with hovering. So i don't see the EA-status as much as a hindering cause to buy the module early.

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

Thanks.

If you've flown the A10, mirage or Viggen, you will like this aircraft too. It's really personal preference but I enjoy almost all the aircraft we can have access to. The systems on the harrier are a bit more complex. But Baltic dragon will be doing training missions for the harrier and his missions are always excellent.

DCS usually has sales and you could wait until 2018 and see how well it develops. I'm hoping we can get it by the end of December. $20 discount was enough for me. But if you have something to tide you over until it matures more you can't go wrong with waiting either.

The only issues I don't like is random dcs bugs that happen sometimes when updating to the latest versions. That can sometimes be frustrating when trying to learn an aircraft. Because sometimes stuff is behaving oddly and you are not sure of it's the module or dcs. But these aren't show stoppers I think.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I've ALWAYS bought every module I own as soon as it's made available. I've nvr once regretted it, sure sometimes theres been issues with the module(in EA) but EA has always outweighed the decision to wait for the released product/discount an getting to fiddle/learn systems/weapons etc @ time of EA. Course having watched this aircraft develop from early renders to previews/teasers, it was nvr a option to wait. Was/is also my favorite aircraft to fly in ArmA1-2 so too see it in DCS:pilotfly:

Edited by Call911

The nigh vision googles are now enabled:

23551013_1519046631515303_7206595173877094710_o.jpg?oh=24c42fb47876f99f61c66b85de99ebae&oe=5A95442F&__gda__=1519818225_806ead39a92e9f30e5a8a9745f62f80d

23511186_1519046718181961_542937444019132472_o.jpg?oh=ca9aec6672e92b711ece4910f7185c49&oe=5AAFB7F4

23592233_1519046771515289_4938096650798913186_o.jpg?oh=8f9ecee97998968f56b146b27527264a&oe=5AACF4C1

23550078_1519046841515282_6763491821489633922_o.jpg?oh=05b0f751829b61280df5f11f6467b102&oe=5AA774BB

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Because it's the wrong colour? The NVG and NAVFLIR are supposed to be green, I presume this is because you can only have the FLIR in black and white at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It's been said in the pocket guide.

NOTE All AV‐8B NA video displays use green, not grey. Due to a DCS limitation we have been forced to use greyscale. The video output will be changed to green as soon as the texture is available in DCS.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You said "why would there be a texture issue" and while not strictly correct (it's a rendering issue" its close enough, you don't need to be so pedantic to someone asking a genuine question.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I asked why there would be an issue because i tought it was normal for the NAVFLIR to be in grey scale, now i know it's supposed to be in green.

EDIT :

That was a while back.
Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've just found what I was looking for.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3232340#post3232340

Hello, we are aware of this issue.

Initially all video images will be displayed in grayscale. Although it is possible to display the video in greenscale, such texture does not support some video options required for IR display.

In order to be consistent, and thus not have some video in green and others (IR) in gray, all video will be displayed in grayscale for the time being. We will make the change to greenscale as soon as we are certain that all video options are available when using this texture.

Looks like this is the answer to my question.

Looks a bit odd for NVG image, no green (it’s not Video), no grain and you can see the other colours.

Seriously? The grey/green issue is addressed in post on this very page.

As for the other colours, look more closely. The NVG area is towards the top of the screen, which is grey scale (to be corrected to green later). It's only colour outside the field of view of the goggles (towards the bottom of the screenshot).

Seriously? The grey/green issue is addressed in post on this very page.

As for the other colours, look more closely. The NVG area is towards the top of the screen, which is grey scale (to be corrected to green later). It's only colour outside the field of view of the goggles (towards the bottom of the screenshot).

As I understand it, the issue was with the video feed from the sensors and monitors, not the NVG?

The nigh vision googles are now enabled:

Hi All,

Firstly, just want to say how amazing this project looks and what a great job the team is doing.

Secondly, Zeus, will the NVG's be reactive to ambient lighting?

Under full moon, clear sky conditions they were extremely bright, really turning night into day. Over snow covered ground, under the above conditions, they were too bright in fact, the same under the Northern Lights. In civil twilight they were almost unusable due to high millilux levels but you just fly with them up until they become effective. Reducing moon phase or increasing cloud cover and thickness reduced the effectiveness up to the point that a new moon phase and thick cloud cover, especially away from urban lighting made them once again almost useless.

Another good aspect of the NVGs is that you can see aircraft lights (non NVG compatible) at great distances, well beyond normal visual range, this often gave up "enemy" aircraft who didn't go covert. However as NVGs are so powerful, even a single non NVG light can blind you if it's close by, important when you make landings to carriers, airfields and also tanking operations.

I'm sure this is an obvious comment but when wearing the NVGs you look underneath them when viewing the cockpit and sometimes FLIR on HUD image as well.

Night EO low level ops are really about using the best that both the FLIR and the NVGs can give you under the conditions at the time. The FLIR image in the HUD wasn't great to identify targets unless they were huge and had contrast, so was mainly used for track 12 navigation, switching between black and white hot depending on the background thermal transmissions and pilot preferences. Sometimes it was not used at all, once again depending on the conditions. The FLIR degrades significantly due to humidity, be it rain, mist, or just high moisture content. The FLIR image on the MPCD was much clearer in the right weather conditions and often would be displayed on one screen with the moving map on the other. Once again each pilot had their own preference for set up.

A 75% phase moon and clear night in low humidity conditions wasn't much harder than a day mission for a single ship flight. A new moon night in bad weather with thick cloud and no urban lighting was another matter, then throw in a formation.

• Like 1

• ED Team

I Could be wrong but I believe the NVG's are a core part of DCS and Zues may have no control over its functionality.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2