Yak-52 Aft CG ?

Igor4U

The Yak-52 seems to me to have a slightly Aft Center of Gravity:

- On Takeoff (Rotation) the Nose wants to very easily and rapidly Pitch Up.

- On Landing, if the Aircraft is Trimmed Up (Hands-Off) on Approach, the slightest wee bit of (too much) Aft Stick (Round-Out and Flare) will cause a Balloon or Float. I actually keep the aircraft trimmed slightly nose down (on approach) which makes it more controllable (easier to land) in the round-out and flare.

Maybe I need to add some serious Beer Belly (another 25 Kilograms) to the Pilots weight.

I do find the Stick forces way too light in Aft Stick (Pitch Up) Movement.

I keep all other aircraft Pitch Curves at +10 (Right of Center), but just increased it to +25 (Right of Center) for the Yak-52. We'll see how that changes the handling characteristics with the very light Pitch Up stick forces.

What a FUN Trainer ! But about the Aft CG, Anyone else with this impression - or just me ? :smoke: (Smoke em if ya got em)

Added Edit: The adjustment to the Pitch Curve (to +25) worked well for my HOTAS Warthog - made the rapid Pitch up tendency on TO much more controllable

Edited by Igor4U
add

I usually takeoff/land with no flap and forward slip on landings due to this with the aim of holding the nosewheel off the ground as long as possible from touchdown :smartass:

If you're into doing aerobatics, what are your thoughts on the stall? It seems to me the CG is a little aft there too.

Has anyone noticed how floaty the Yak is when dead-stick landing?

If only we had a CG adjustment slider..... :music_whistling:

Besides these quirks I love this mod :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-6700 3.4GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB - Logitech G940 - Oculus Rift CV1

The Yak-52 seems to me to have a slightly Aft Center of Gravity:

- On Takeoff (Rotation) the Nose wants to very easily and rapidly Pitch Up.Added Edit: The adjustment to the Pitch Curve (to +25) worked well for my HOTAS Warthog - made the rapid Pitch up tendency on TO much more controllable

Are you using flaps for take-off?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/