"The Bear Trap" campaign

Great campaign and tons of fun. I have spent quite a bit of time in the F-15C but have never done any of the campaigns. Was cool to hear Wags voice in the first mission but disappointed that there were no other missions with VO. Didn't take away from the campaign though.

There is a slight problem with mission #5 "OCA on Nalchik". The AI SEAD can not complete their task because there are two SA-10 systems, one at Mozdok and one at Nalchik. It looks like it should have been an SA-11 though because of the way the units were laid out. And the AI F-16's could not get close enough to launch their JSOW's. I tried half a dozen times and gave up and changed the SA-10 to an SA-11 and they were able to take it out. Definitely not a negative criticism of the campaign and it may still work a percentage of the time, but I lost patience after the number of times I tried. Just be prepared to do it over if they fail on the SEAD.

That's the only issue I saw though and I didn't really want to alter the campaign but I didn't see any other way. The AI sams have been improved over the last few years so a lot of what worked in the past doesn't now. But it's a really fun campaign and good for learning how to handle the Eagle.

I hate to admit it but this is the first time I've actually observed the JSOW-A's in action and I can't believe how devastating they are. I saw two of them take out an entire SA-11 site in one pass. They are going to be absolutely amazing when they're released for the F-18 and building missions will be a whole new exercise.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's an excellent user-made update that fixes a few issues that cropped up with 2.5 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301743/

Wasnt aware that Maddog’s updates werent incorporated on the base game, thanks for letting us know.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 month later...

I'm playing the Bear Trap Campaigh right now.

Anyone can explain me the difference with the Georgian War campaign?

BTW: I'm at mission 8 and no issue seen till now...

Edited by LordOrion

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

I'm playing the Bear Trap Campaigh right now.

Anyone can explain me the difference with the Georgian War campaign?

Erm... These are two different campaigns. The Bear Trap is stock, The Georgian War is a 3rd party payware campaign. The former is more challenging, but the storytelling is almost non-existent. The latter is easier & far more entertaining, and has tons of voiceovers.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

There is a slight problem with mission #5 "OCA on Nalchik". The AI SEAD can not complete their task because there are two SA-10 systems, one at Mozdok and one at Nalchik. It looks like it should have been an SA-11 though because of the way the units were laid out. And the AI F-16's could not get close enough to launch their JSOW's. I tried half a dozen times and gave up and changed the SA-10 to an SA-11 and they were able to take it out.

I'm stuck on this mission as well, having the same problem. SEAD team simply cannot destroy both SAMs in time, so DEAD package turns into DOA package.

I'm using the latest modified version by MadDog. Wonder if I should just skip this mission, or if there's still a way to complete it without resorting to ME.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

Technically, the F-16's should be about to take out the SA-10 because it's supposed to have the same capability as the F/A-18C, but I had to edit the mission and change it to SA-11. That's the only way I could complete it. The problem is that the SA-10's have been improved and AI F-16 always wait till optimum range to launch the JSOWS. This is really not workable since they're within 20 miles and got killed every time. So I really didn't see any other solution.

I know a lot of people will roll their eyes at my statement, but I'm not really a purist in the sense of doing every legacy campaign as written. It's old and DCS has changed significantly so a lot of them are really not workable due to those changes. In the more recent ones and DLC ones I stick to the program since DLC's can't be altered anyhow and it hasn't changed my feelings about altering some elements of the older ones to make them workable. But I do try at least a half dozen times before relenting and getting into the editor.

So from my perspective, I say go for it.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Technically, the F-16's should be about to take out the SA-10 because it's supposed to have the same capability as the F/A-18C, but I had to edit the mission and change it to SA-11. That's the only way I could complete it.

If this is a real bug that render the mission unpassable, then we should probably report it to MadDog.

On the other hand, there are plenty of users who have completed it (like LordOrion three posts above). Which makes me wonder if we're playing it completely wrong - like calling the SEAD strike too late or too early.

Dima | My DCS uploads

If this is a real bug that render the mission unpassable, then we should probably report it to MadDog.

Not a bug and MadDog is already aware of it. It's a limitation of AI in the new system like I stated. And yes, the AI can complete the mission, probably one out of 20 times maybe. My impatience lies with the AI unpredictability so that's why I edited the mission. So my opinion is that it's not the fault of the player if the AI can't complete their mission, it's a problem with the system. So in all fairness making a change in the mission to permit them to do so is not really wrong. But there are probably as many opinions on this as there are people that use DCS.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Afaik it's no longer MadDog's business unless we talk about his patch.

It's normal that due to DCS changes some missions get broken. You can wait for the fix (it can be months) or just fix it yourself which is exactly what the devs will do.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Erm... These are two different campaigns. The Bear Trap is stock, The Georgian War is a 3rd party payware campaign. The former is more challenging, but the storytelling is almost non-existent. The latter is easier & far more entertaining, and has tons of voiceovers.

Thank you!

One last question: how many mission there are in Bear Trap?

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Eleven, including the FAM flight.

The Georgian War, for comparison, has sixteen.

Tank you very much!

I just won it :joystick:

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

• 1 month later...