HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Well I got my reverb tonight. Running all high settings except shadows low, civ traffic off. Steam VR stable latest edition with steam resolution slider at 100%.

Dcs pixel density at 1.5. I also tried 1.0 and I didn't notice that much of a difference. In the odyssey you do notice it.

Performance is good, no stutters, head movement didn't produce any jitters either. Image quality is crisp as long as you put the headset on your face and find the sweet spot. For me it's either sitting up higher near my forehead or pressed closer on to my face if I wear it lower.

Feels like goggles and is a lot lighter than the Odyssey that's for sure.

Flew the f14 and f16 and I could see the MFD's and text on them in the f16 without zoom. Leaning in helped but if you want that extra clarity you can use the zoom.

In the F14 I could see the caution lights near the HUD clearly and also the labels as worn as they are, they were somewhat readable in the reverb as opposed to the odyssey where I had to use the clean cockpit mod. I'm sure the mod looks wonderful in the Reverb though.

I really like it although im disappointed. I don't know if I actually got a new revision or not. The box says Rev A and serial # is 932Z..

There were extra port plastic covers tossed around in the box(not sure what they were attached to as they were rattling in the box) and the main cable was just laying there on top as soon as I opened the box. Not sure if this was a returned unit or not but seeing how everything except the headset was sitting inside the box, made me think otherwise. It did come with the clip too and I'm using it.

It heats up quickly but doesn't get too hot yet. The biggest issue I have with mine is there is a dead pixel right in the center of the view. I would say it's on right lense. It's very noticeable when your in steam vr play room or any dark background. The pixel is like a small green line about a 1/4th of an inch.

I tried both display ports, and different USB ports all with their own full power bandwidth. It's still there.

My buddy also received his today and his serial number is 933.. and his worked for about an hour and then went black. He also mentioned he had a dead pixel.

Really upset about this and not sure if I should contact HP or just return it as I see it's an option on the website on my account. While the visual quality is great, I'm not convinced it's worth $600 yet.

I paid $800 for my Index and 2 base stations. Other than it recently getting hot after 30 minutes I'm totally happy. I had the CV1 originally for a year and a half, tried the Odyssey and hated the halo, then bought the Pimax 5K+ which was total garbage (at least mine was), then I tried the S but couldn't use it because of my IPD. That said I once again hated the Halo. If I could have used the Reverb I would have bought it. I have a couple friends I fly with using them now and other than tracking in a dark room they love them. I would get a replacement and give it one more go. Otherwise save $200 and get the S.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

For the price point, in comparison to other VR headsets it's definitely the best for simmers. You won't get this clarity for the price with only the Pimax 8K being better... but Google the price for that.

All other mainstream headsets are more expensive, with the exception of the Rift S, for lower resolution.

Regarding dead pixels, definitely RMA it.

I agree it's perfect for simming. Which is why I bought it. I had only planned on using it for dcs anyway, maybe a few other titles. I like that it's more comfortable but it's also a bit tougher to wear to find the sweet spot for the image. Construction quality could be better.

I hope HP does not give me the run around regarding the dead pixel/green spark/line whatever it may be. I don't even know how to describe it.

I paid $800 for my Index and 2 base stations. Other than it recently getting hot after 30 minutes I'm totally happy. I had the CV1 originally for a year and a half, tried the Odyssey and hated the halo, then bought the Pimax 5K+ which was total garbage (at least mine was), then I tried the S but couldn't use it because of my IPD. That said I once again hated the Halo. If I could have used the Reverb I would have bought it. I have a couple friends I fly with using them now and other than tracking in a dark room they love them. I would get a replacement and give it one more go. Otherwise save $200 and get the S.

I'll call HP today after work and if they want me to send it in first I would rather process a return and order another one. I was reading somewhere on the HP support forums that if you have the pro version they send you one first and then you send yours back. That would be ideal. I've never dealth with RMA's from HP.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

For the price point, in comparison to other VR headsets it's definitely the best for simmers. You won't get this clarity for the price with only the Pimax 8K being better... but Google the price for that.

All other mainstream headsets are more expensive, with the exception of the Rift S, for lower resolution.

Regarding dead pixels, definitely RMA it.

As I've said before, there is a lot more to a good HMD than simply native resolution. I had a Reverb and the native resolution was the ONLY aspect that was better than my current Index, so I sent it back. Even the res advantage is reduced by use of SteamVR SS.

In terms of build quality, comfort, audio, sweet spot, etc., the Reverb was poor in comparison to my Index. And, it has WMR!

Don't get me wrong, it's a great headset, but always bear in mind there is more than simple native number pixels to take into account.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I asked my friend how his reverb was holding up and he says the screen is still black. One thing I didnt like is how much of the sides you see with it on.

But I don't think I notice it as much after a while.

I would like to try an index too. But that's a lot of money to spend just to try it out for comparison's sake. Plus I don't know how big these light stations are and if they would even fit properly on my desk with all my gear.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I'm not sure if this is a Reverb problem or something else. It seems alot of the time when I have my headset on I cannot move my mouse. If I look at the mixed reality screen I am able to move the mouse and click with it. I try pressing windows Y but that doesn't help.

Is any one else having this issue?

I'm not sure if this is a Reverb problem or something else. It seems alot of the time when I have my headset on I cannot move my mouse. If I look at the mixed reality screen I am able to move the mouse and click with it. I try pressing windows Y but that doesn't help.

Is any one else having this issue?

Yes this is a constant issue.

Best solution for me is to launch dcs from inside the headset.

Activate desktop by pressing window key.

Mouse works okay each time you launch from within the headset.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

this is a silly question how can I launch DCS from inside the headset?
Put on the headset, tell Cortana to open apps or hit Windows key then scroll through the apps until you see desktop. Launch desktop and then you just double click your dcs shortcut.

You still need to hit alt+enter when it launches to make it full screen.

Hey Everyone,

I just upgraded from a Rift S to a Reverb and I love the clarity BUT I'm getting a lot of CTD's, so this is getting frustrating if you have every attempt a different amount of time of playing before it crashes, sometimes 5minutes, sometimes more and also even less. So this is my mayday call and I'm hoping for any help. I was running the Rift S on pretty much high settings, so I thought that might be the issue and I lowered the DCS settings by pressing the VR button in DCS and in Steam VR I've set the SS to 100% but still no luck, it was crashing again. The crash itself is a freezing picture, followed by a CTD and steam VR is closing.

Steam VR Beta is used.

My specs are:

Z390 Aorus Master

Zotac GTX1080Ti

i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz

32GB DDR4 RAM

DCS is installed on a 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2

WMR settings:

Visual Quality very high (Beta)

Resolution is best resolution (4320x2160)

Refresh rate set to 90Hz

Cheers

Edited by nima2014

Hey Everyone,

I just upgraded from a Rift S to a Reverb and I love the clarity BUT I'm getting a lot of CTD's, so this is getting frustrating if you have every attempt a different amount of time of playing before it crashes, sometimes 5minutes, sometimes more and also even less. So this is my mayday call and I'm hoping for any help. I was running the Rift S on pretty much high settings, so I thought that might be the issue and I lowered the DCS settings by pressing the VR button in DCS and in Steam VR I've set the SS to 100% but still no luck, it was crashing again. The crash itself is a freezing picture, followed by a CTD and steam VR is closing.

Steam VR Beta is used.

My specs are:

Z390 Aorus Master

Zotac GTX1080Ti

i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz

32GB DDR4 RAM

WMR settings:

Refresh rate set to 90Hz

Cheers

I would try steam stable. I didn't have any errors last night. I have the same card as you and run mostly high settings. Close any background apps or processes that may be running too.

I would try steam stable. I didn't have any errors last night. I have the same card as you and run mostly high settings. Close any background apps or processes that may be running too.

Thanks for your quick response. I was running steam VR stable before and had that crashes as well, so I tried the beta version

Edited by nima2014

Hey Everyone,

Steam VR Beta is used.

My specs are:

Z390 Aorus Master

Zotac GTX1080Ti

i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz

32GB DDR4 RAM

WMR settings:

Refresh rate set to 90Hz

Cheers

Small update on this one:

I switched off MSAA in DCS and I was flying for nearly an hour before it crashed again.

Maybe heat related? How clean are the fans in that video card?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

So I called HP tech support to discuss my options with my reverb with the neon green dead pixel on any dark background.

I had to explain to the person on the phone that I had a Pro model and he kept telling me that I had a consumer version and that is handled by a different department. On my order page it said pro edition and on their support page where you search my serial number it showed it was a pro edition.

He searched in another database and saw that I was correct. He told me I would need to send it in to their repair depot and wait for it. There, it would be inspected and if needed, repaired with REFURBISHED parts. I asked if they had an advanced rma option and he said currently they want everyone who has a reverb that is having issues to send it in to their repair depot.

He did tell me that since it's only a few days since I've bought it, I could call sales department and sales would do an exchange for me, this way I get a new one.

So I call sales and because it's under the 30 days I'm eligible to return it without a restocking fee. The sales agent also sent me a link which I have 24hrs to order another one.

So it looks like if you're past 30 days they don't have an advanced rma system like other companies where they send you a new or replacement item first and then you send yours back. I've done that with Google several times, not sure why HP doesn't do it.

With all the previous Reverb problems I'd be weary about anything refurbished.

I'm considering going through the link they sent me to order another one but I'm just worried if I end up with another issue.

...I'm considering going through the link they sent me to order another one but I'm just worried if I end up with another issue.

I know the feeling. I purchased my first one through Amazon, but the left earpiece had no sound. I returned it with no issues with Amazon. A couple of weeks later when more stock came in, I purchased the Reverb again. I've had no issues since. I love the Reverb. So give it another try.:thumbup:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

So it looks like if you're past 30 days they don't have an advanced rma system like other companies where they send you a new or replacement item first and then you send yours back. I've done that with Google several times, not sure why HP doesn't do it.
Maybe different in other countries as I was sent a replacement headset with instructions to send the other back (I only had a peeling face plate).

I had seen this post on Reddit

from the HP quality manager for the Reverb. I mentioned this in my call to HP. I don't think the support staff know much about this product so I politely explained the global policy to them:

• If you have a Consumer Version, the support team will want you to send your unit back and it will be repair/replaced and shipped back.
  • If you have a Pro Version, you will get a new headset shipped to you and the old one will be sent back when the new one arrives to you.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Maybe different in other countries as I was sent a replacement headset with instructions to send the other back (I only had a peeling face plate).

I had seen this post on Reddit

from the HP quality manager for the Reverb. I mentioned this in my call to HP. I don't think the support staff know much about this product so I politely explained the global policy to them:

• If you have a Consumer Version, the support team will want you to send your unit back and it will be repair/replaced and shipped back.
  • If you have a Pro Version, you will get a new headset shipped to you and the old one will be sent back when the new one arrives to you.

I am in US and it's a worldwide warranty that should be the same. I read the same post you linked on the HP support forums. You're correct, even though I used the Workstation prompt on the phone to get directed to the right team like the post says, the guy I talked to obviously wasn't up to speed with what should have happened.

Luckily, the sales guy was able to let me refund it and order a new one.

I ordered another one using the link they created for me. Since this one is a new order the 30 days to return still counts I guess. So if I have other issues with the second unit, I'm definitely returning it for good.

I’m concerned about all I was reading about the failures in the Reverb, I bough few days ago from HP. I’m in Argentina, a little far away from EEUU to return in case of failure.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I’m concerned about all I was reading about the failures in the Reverb, I bough few days ago from HP. I’m in Argentina, a little far away from EEUU to return in case of failure.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

As long as you bought directly from HP you should be able to return or send it in to their repair site if needed. If it's showing issues after a few days it's best to just return it while you still can. They gave me shipping label to return mine.

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with you Reverb sze5003, must be most frustrating and I hope you get it sorted soon. I’ve gone from finger hovering over the order button to having a bit of a wobble on the whole idea (not because of your unlucky experience btw.)

The more reviews I’ve watched/read make me think my 1080ti is gonna be ok but at the bottom end of the spectrum and therefore will I see a decent improvement over the rift S? (I’d would love to be told Im wrong.) For example my pc can just about push 1.4pd with x2 aa but I’m guessing with a reverb I won’t be able to go above a pd of 1 (or the steam equivalent) with no aa and I’ve no idea what that’s gonna look like and/or perform.

And finally I was wondering whether or not you can return it if you just don’t like it or can’t run it properly due to hardware limitations. Doesn’t seem like something you could do in the uk unless it’s faulty. But consumer rights in the uk isn’t one of my specialist subjects ;)

Anyhoo good luck sze5003 and thanks for the congrats

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with you Reverb sze5003, must be most frustrating and I hope you get it sorted soon. I’ve gone from finger hovering over the order button to having a bit of a wobble on the whole idea (not because of your unlucky experience btw.)

The more reviews I’ve watched/read make me think my 1080ti is gonna be ok but at the bottom end of the spectrum and therefore will I see a decent improvement over the rift S? (I’d would love to be told Im wrong.) For example my pc can just about push 1.4pd with x2 aa but I’m guessing with a reverb I won’t be able to go above a pd of 1 (or the steam equivalent) with no aa and I’ve no idea what that’s gonna look like and/or perform.

And finally I was wondering whether or not you can return it if you just don’t like it or can’t run it properly due to hardware limitations. Doesn’t seem like something you could do in the uk unless it’s faulty. But consumer rights in the uk isn’t one of my specialist subjects ;)

So I was running mostly high settings. I think msaa was off. I had dcs pixel density at 1.5 and steam SS at 100%. It ran smooth but I only tested single player missions. I wasn't sure what fps I got.

For sure I can say that you will see a difference compared to rift S. I think steam SS at 100% though isn't native reverb resolution. I didn't get a chance to change that steam value since I started noticing the dead pixel.

Hopefully headset #2 will be ok. But I know what you mean, it's daunting after experiencing one with issues. For some reason I just have bad luck whenever I order anything from a manufacturer direct. With Amazon it's much easier as they don't have several departments and don't give you wrong info if you want to do an RMA. They just take it back no questions.

Also, HP has worldwide warranty and on their site at least on the US side it says return within 30 days and they told me they have a customer satisfaction guarantee so they will take it back if you don't like it. But I think the line is blurry here. The tech support guy told me this.

The sales guy I spoke with said there is no restocking fee since the previous unit was defective.

You'll see an improvement in both clarity and performance with the Reverb in comparison to the Rift S. You'll be able to run Steam VR SS at 100% and DCS PD at 1.0, and still get better clarity than the Rift S at 1.4. On top of that, since you won't have to use any supersampling of any kind, you'll get better performance. Supersampling/PD, as it turns out, are FAR bigger performance killers than the number of native pixels on the HMD. I went from a CV1 which I was running at 2.0 PD, with 2X MSAA, having to use the shaders mod to get decent performance...to a Reverb, running 1.0 PD, with 4X MSAA, no shaders mod, and the difference in clarity is night and day. Performance is smooth as glass, with only a very rare instance of ghosting every once in a while. Your 1080ti should work just fine. I had one before I got the 2080ti when I had my CV1, and if it gave me better VR performance, it wasn't something I could see with my eyes. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi guys,

Would the gtx2070 super be able to run the reverb? Don't care about very high framerates and I willing to turn down shadows etc. Resolution is very important to me. I'm thinking about the rift s or the reverb. I have a CV1 and a gtx970 i7 2600k@ 4.5 GHz.

Option 1: keep my current system and upgrade my graphics card to 2070 (if possible in my motherboard) and buy the rift s

Option 2: buy a new cpu/motherboard, a 2070 super and a reverb and hope that I get enough fps and that my reverb doesn't black out or is defected

If I run the reverb below maximum settings would that be as good as a full blown rift s experience?

Any thoughts would be great