Stick for A-10c ?

Hi, I'm started play DCS A-10c before few months ago and I play it with my outdated stick so I've decided to buy new "PRO stick" so one of options for me is an "Mad Catz Saitek X55 RHINO" with HOTAS system and I'd like to know what you guys think about that stick ? Because I was thinking also about X52-PRO and I found many dissatisfied users of that stick. So I want to ask what you guys think?Do you have experiences with any of this sticks?Or can you simply recommend me some other stick in fact i don't have many experiences with flight sticks and its not so cheap for me to buy something disappointing because I am really excited about DCS series and I want enjoy every piece of A-10c.

Sorry for any mistakes in English. It's not my main language.

Thanks for replies or any kind of advice.

Sincerely Strelok. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-My DCS screenshots-

Then you will need this one :) 3-97.JPG

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

For X-55 info, see this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122307

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

X52 is great for its price, as long as you realize its not built like a $600 stick. I wouldn't expect the X55 to be phenomenally better since its made by the same company with almost certainly many of the same parts on the inside.

Frankly, without having used it, I think there are some aspects of the X52 that are still superior. Main advantage of the X55 is its split throttle, but I don't consider that terribly useful 95% of the time. I actually think the control layout on the X55 throttle looks inferior personally. Biased X52 owner's opinion though.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

My advice is not to buy Saitek's stick. I had the X52 PRO and I still have the Pro Flight Headset and both products are not made to last and they are not so cheap as well.

I now have TM Warthog and it is beyond the Sun compared to the quality of Saitek's products.

If you can't afford TM Warthog HOTAS, you can buy just a stick for less than $300 and pair it with throttle from another HOTAS bought at classifields (I think that's word).

It is just an option. Good luck with decision!

Before I got a Thrustmaster Warthog I was using CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle hotas. There are some good A-10C profiles available for them, but they're not as easy to learn the sim with as the Warthog setup. I didn't really begin to enjoy or understand the A-10C until I got the Warthog, it made a huge difference!

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Save up for the warthog. I used a x-52 for a year before and didn't enjoy the Sim as much as I do now with the warthog. and is much easier with less slop in center and guns among other unguided weapon deliveries is so much more satisfying. It is worth every cent, but remember that it won't make you a better pilot, but it will help a lot.

I am using the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals

They work very well with the sim as they have enough buttons to map all the HOTAS commands without modifiers. You can get all three for less than the TM Warthog.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The Saitek products are good, I have has over 7 years same stick. If you have the funds buy the TM warthog you will not be disappointed.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

The Saitek products are good, I have has over 7 years same stick. If you have the funds buy the TM warthog you will not be disappointed.

^ I have to agree with this. Had the X52 and X52 pro for many years and was very happy with them and would strongly recommend them for the price. However, the TM Warthog is a marked grade above these (and cost more) but well worth it in my opinion. They certainly helped me master Air-Air Refueling. I still have the Saitek pro rudder pedals which are about five years old now and still work fine after all this time.

I don't want to hijack the topic but my 7 YO X52 just broke and I'm looking for a new one.

It'll be between the X55 and the TM Warthog but both seems to have pros and cons.

IIRC both had some physical problem in their early days, and was wondering how are they now?

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

I don't want to hijack the topic but my 7 YO X52 just broke and I'm looking for a new one.

It'll be between the X55 and the TM Warthog but both seems to have pros and cons.

IIRC both had some physical problem in their early days, and was wondering how are they now?

Except price, I don't know about cons of TM Warthog. Maybe the lack of rudder pedals?! I think that we all made it clear how we feel about Warthog. It's expensive, but THE BEST that money can buy right now. :smilewink:

I've read many reviews about X52 and in most of them, users claim that stick itself is pretty well done and accurate but they mostly blames Saitek drivers and stick setup as buggy and not very user friendly. I hear even drivers for X52 do not support USB 3.0 and even not working well with Windows 7 64bit... so for me X52 itself is really good option but I fear of that Saitek software issues. I know there are on the Saitek website new drivers for X52 but I also heard they're not very helpful and problem solving. So can someone tell me where is truth?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-My DCS screenshots-

The problem with Saitek is they insist of using pots instead of sensors. And they don't appear to be high quality pots either... so yeah their stuff works fine until the pots die. They only have HAL sensors on the stick x / y axis. And even those have some issues at least with the X52 / X52pro (they are too far from the magnets at center => hardware deadzone).

I have an X52 (only ever used the throttle) and had no problem whatsoever on win7 x64. I'm using older drivers however since i'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" paradigm. Since these drivers from 2011 (Saitek_X52_Flight_Controller_SD6_win7x64) and software (SST 6.6.6.9) work perfectly i had no reason to update.

I actually think the SST software is very easy to use, and you don't even need it if you don't want more advanced mapping. It's really not a must have.

Edited by Korn

I used it use an X52 pro for about a year without any issues at all even with W7 64. It was my first separate joystick and throttle combo and really enjoyed it especially for Falcon 4 AF. Then I bought the TM Warthog because of DCS A-10C and never looked back. The only issues I've had with it are a couple of LEDs have gone out and each of the throttle have become a tiny bit loose. I have the joystick on a 9 in extension and adjusted the curves accordingly. I've never had any issues with strict ion although that doesn't mean that it could do with a grease up NAND I've never used Target software

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I wonder if CH sells this for consumers?

Hey now that the Hog is retired they probably have a surplus

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think this was before the TM. In any case I don't know if it was available to consumers. It has a rather big base that wouldn't really work on a tabletop too

Then you will need this one :) 3-97.JPG

Oui! this if you can save away the fund for it. I know it can be rather pricey. So Hopefully you're able to get it. There is no other stick that matches the TM Warthog! No other! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Oui! this if you can save away the fund for it. I know it can be rather pricey. So Hopefully you're able to get it. There is no other stick that matches the TM Warthog! No other! :thumbup:

I agree with the TM HOTAS Warthog guys. I've had a variety of Saitek products, such as the rudder pedals, yoke, X52 pro, throttle quadrant. They're nice, but most of their products are plastic fantastic, so they'll break easily, not have a very premium quality feel, and as mentioned earlier, Saitek uses pots instead of sensors, which isn't really the best option. I have heard that the new X55 is quite a bit better, but I would still trust the HOTAS Warthog over any other HOTAS. Best build quality, realism, software, user friendly and sensors of any stick.

@aeliusg, The TM HOTAS Warthog is better than any similar CH stick, such as the fighter stick or the flightstick pro. The HOTAS Warthog is Air Force certified, and it is actually used in the USAF to train A-10C pilots. Not in the full fledged simulators that are exact replicas that use the same parts, but the more simple grade simulators in the USAF for A-10C pilots. They also use the exact same simulator, the ED A-10C, only we have a consumer version, not the exact same version.

For a nice comparison of the sensors, see this link. It shows the HOTAS Warthog has the best sensors of any stick currently available.: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174g.html

I was looking for a replacement stick, and I was really happy I spent a little more for the HOTAS Warthog. I don't even use my Saitek yoke anymore for commercial flying, as the HOTAS Warthog just feels so much better to fly with.

Check out the virtual thunder birds. They also use the TM HOTAS Warthog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with the TM HOTAS Warthog guys. I've had a variety of Saitek products, such as the rudder pedals, yoke, X52 pro, throttle quadrant. They're nice, but most of their products are plastic fantastic, so they'll break easily, not have a very premium quality feel, and as mentioned earlier, Saitek uses pots instead of sensors, which isn't really the best option. I have heard that the new X55 is quite a bit better, but I would still trust the HOTAS Warthog over any other HOTAS. Best build quality, realism, software, user friendly and sensors of any stick.

@aeliusg, The TM HOTAS Warthog is better than any similar CH stick, such as the fighter stick or the flightstick pro. The HOTAS Warthog is Air Force certified, and it is actually used in the USAF to train A-10C pilots. Not in the full fledged simulators that are exact replicas that use the same parts, but the more simple grade simulators in the USAF for A-10C pilots. They also use the exact same simulator, the ED A-10C, only we have a consumer version, not the exact same version.

For a nice comparison of the sensors, see this link. It shows the HOTAS Warthog has the best sensors of any stick currently available.: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174g.html

I was looking for a replacement stick, and I was really happy I spent a little more for the HOTAS Warthog. I don't even use my Saitek yoke anymore for commercial flying, as the HOTAS Warthog just feels so much better to fly with.

Check out the virtual thunder birds. They also use the TM HOTAS Warthog.

I'm with you. I have a Warthog myself. It's pretty good. :thumbup: The concept in the CH pic looks like something that would be more than "simple-grade", however.