NWS steering range

Nealius

What's the deal with the NWS steering range? With no curves set, the NWS is so sensitive that my heartbeat is enough to cause twitching during taxiing. I set a 10 curve, which is still overly sensitive, but at the same time the aircraft can't turn worth a damn on the ground. For a 90-degree turn with max rudder deflection I have to lead the turn by a good 50 feet, which often puts me very close to cutting across the corner and going into the grass...

Don't understand. A curve shouldn't have any impact on max deflection, regardless if it's 0 or 100.

My F-15 taxiing ok. A 180° turn requires approx 3/4 of a runway with. No need to lead anything.

I'm using no curve for the rudder, but I didn't notice any difference in the turning radius when using a 100% curve.

No twitchiness at all with 0% here.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

@Nealius: Yes, it's sensitive. Using throttle paddles I set 50-60 curve and still have to be gentle. As for tight turns you have to be slow and hold the NWS key - turns on a dime :)

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

That's strange. Without pushing the steering button, I've got a relative wide turn radius and when I push the NWS button, the F-15 locks the nosewheel at the present position and I can't turn at all.

That's strange. Without pushing the steering button, I've got a relative wide turn radius and when I push the NWS button, the F-15 locks the nosewheel at the present position and I can't turn at all.

Yeah, tricky names there...

LAlt+Q "Nose Wheel Steering" - is locking it

S "Nose Wheel Maneuvering Range" - hold for more turn gain :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yep. The rudder pedals are very sensitive yet there's a risk of running off the road depending on the airfield. Don't underestimate it. The F15 isn't actually all that easy to fly, not particularly easy to fly well either.

In the short run, mess around with nws-hi which helps. Lots of curve helps but leave X and Y axis alone. Long run, practice.

Or just embrace it. Land on the taxiway and drift into your spot. "Like a glove!" Nobody is watching. Usually.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Yeah, tricky names there...

LAlt+Q "Nose Wheel Steering" - is locking it

S "Nose Wheel Maneuvering Range" - hold for more turn gain :thumbup:

Ah, didn't need to maneuver the F-15 into and out of very tight spots since I've re-installed her. Thanx :)

Since I've sold my pedals I'm back to the twist-rudder control and there's the rudder/nws way less sensitive/twitchy of course.

Edited by bbrz

Ah, so that's what the maneuvering range command is for. Without it my turns when parking have been awful. To turn 60 degrees I end up taking an entire F-15's length of space, usually making me run off into the grass when trying to park on the already narrow ramp.