DCS World 2.0 and BS2 - Installing video training

jflatto

I just got back into Black Shark 2 after being away from the simulation for a while.

I am running Windows 10 and installed DCS World 2.0. From within DCS World 2.0, I install A-10C, BS2 and the Nevada Terrain.

From DCS’s website, I also downloading the Video Training files for BS2. When downloaded, these are .exe files. When I run them, I get an error message “DCS: Black Shark 2 not found”. My DCS location is not the default location but on a separate hard drive. I do not see any way to “unzip” the .exe files.

If I start DCS World 2.0 and select “Training”, nothing appears for A-10C, Ka-50 and Su-25 modules. Ignoring the Video Training files I downloaded for a moment, is there no built-in training for the A-10C, Ka-50 and Su-25T? Is there any way to install the Video Training files I downloaded into DCS World 2.0?

From some searches on the forums, it appears that the Video Training I downloaded was incorporated into the modules at some point but I am not seeing it.

Is there any training materials for BS2 or A-10c that can be incorporated into DCS World 2.0 or is it all external like manuals and YouTube videos?

Thanks for any help.

Not currently integrated in DCS 2.0, as it is the NTTR map only at this time. You will need to run the training from either 1.5 Open Beta or 1.5 Release.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Which means that I should uninstall DCS 2.0 and the associated aircraft, deactivating everything first and then install DCS 1.5 with the aircraft and the training materials??

Thanks.

No not at all.

You can download and install either 1.5 Open Beta or 1.5 Release version, assuming you have neither installed at this time. Download and install DCS World 1.5, and then install your modules you own from module manager.

Nothing to buy, just the time for installation and setup.

Leave your 2.0 install intact as is. You can run them separately and have both available to you - assuming you have the space.

I have all three versions installed, DCS 2, 1.5 Open Beta, and 1.5 Release.

They will have their own separate install directories and will not conflict with each other. All your owned modules will be available in each install you have.

Edit: By the way, eventually all versions will be merged into one - DCS 2.5 which will host both the Caucasus Map and the NTTR Map - along with future maps. No idea on timeline for this though.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So if I have both 1.5 and 2.0 on my machine, will I use an extra activation for the modules (A-10c, BS2, and Nevada) to have them in both places. That is probably not an issue as I di have the space.

I am trying to figure out the difference between DCS World 2.0 alpha and DCS 1.5 so see if it makes sense to keep both.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

So if I have both 1.5 and 2.0 on my machine, will I use an extra activation for the modules (A-10c, BS2, and Nevada) to have them in both places. That is probably not an issue as I di have the space.

I am trying to figure out the difference between DCS World 2.0 alpha and DCS 1.5 so see if it makes sense to keep both.

No you won't use up any activations, all your owned modules will install in each version. With exception of the Nevada map, that only installs currently in DCS 2.

DCS 1.5 was the introduction of the new Edge graphics engine into the older DCS 1.2, kind of a building block in getting to DCS 2.0, utilizing the existing Caucasus Map.

DCS 2.0 took it a step further using more of the new tech and incorporating only the new NTTR map. Kind of a test bed in getting to the final merged product ( 2.5) which is yet to come.

All current training, campaigns, single missions that have existed previously for DCS 1.2 are only available in 1.5 - because it has the Caucasus Map.

2.0 - having only the Nevada Map ( NTTR) has only a small handful of instant action missions for it - but is a beauty to just fly around enjoying the new terrain detail.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Thank you so much for your very clear explanations. Downloading 1.5 now. Will Nevada work with 1.5 or does it require 2.0 Alpha?

Nevada will only install and work in 2.0 Open Alpha.

You are welcome, have fun!

Btw, I really struggled with learning the KA-50 until I downloaded Chuck Owl's excellent guide for it - it really helped me a lot.

You can grab it here if you do not have it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3U1VZWWNBam9ZdDg/view?pref=2&pli=1

Don B

Thank you. Now I see why I want to have two versions of DCS World. To learn what I am doing in 1.5 and fly around the beautiful scenery in 2.0.

I grabbed Chuck Owl's guide earlier today.

:thumbup:

Have fun!

Don B

I have DCS World 1.5 installed. When I start the program, I get the opening logo but then I get a black screen with music playing in the background. I don't know if I have screwed up the resolution or another configuration but not sure how to get it working. I tried the "repair" option but it didn't help. I then uninstalled DCS World 1.5 and then did a clean install but that is not helping. Any idea if there are some configuration files I can delete to reset the game?

Thanks.