How to know and track where a ground target is using CCIP?

parxuk

At some point we will get TGP LOS symbol on the HUD. Then you can find the target on the TGP and roll in using the TGP LOS as a targeting cue.

You get TGP symbology on the SA page of the MFCD. Is a small square. If you have intel as to the general area where you want to apply, then slew the pod to that area on the mfcd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You might as well just use AUTO then. CCIP is probably not used as often as AUTO.

Head Up .. Eyes Outside .. Build A Mental Picture

Roads, Intersections, Rivers, Bridges, Unique Buildings, Landscape Features.

Start “Big Picture” and then narrow it down to the unit(s) you’re trying to strike.

:D That's the type of missions I've been focusing on for quite some time. I'm getting better at it but depending on scenery it could be a challenge.

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded from Oculus Rift yet is this type of flying. With the Rift's PD set yo 2.0 (no antialiasing and just about everything set to max) I can fly in the weeds, look to the side and focus on a point on the ground with no jitter or motion blur. As long as the ASW is disabled. I tried Pimax 5k on my rig and could never get it jitter free... looked great though.

So, until I massively upgrade my rig I'm staying with the Rift. Well... drifting off a little, back to CCIP...

I found that auto was hard to get pinpoint accuracy. The slewing of the "dot" doesn't seem finite so when targeting a mobile HQ with various trailer, even when wanting the middle of the pack I found it jumped from side to side of the camp rather than being able to move slowly from one trailer to the next.

On a side note, how much does wind affect our ordinance? I usually note the wind during the mission brief and then make a mental note of what side of the target to place the reticle... but it doesn't seem to be affected. I'm talking dumb bombs.

thats quite a nice workaround. i was looking for a way to have it like in the harrier. it's hard to keep eyes on ground targets in low-res VR. thx for the tip

Thanks, it's the best way I have found, but of course it only works if you already have the waypoint.

It also seems a bit bugged, I have experienced inconsistent behavior while trying to do this. Sometimes I cant get it to go into CCIP.

You can absolutely mark the target for attack!

Select your waypoint and then press the WPDSG button. That will put a diamond on your target in the hud, along with an arrow pointing towards it and range information. Then pull up your bombs and get them set up. If you setup the bombs first it automatically puts it in auto mode.

Here is a quick video I made of the process. It may be a few minutes before it's done processing.

I do think that's a bug though. AFAIK, you can't have CCIP symbology with a designated target in the Hornet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

That could explain the inconsistent behavior I have experienced while using it. Its handy when it works.
It certainly is. Makes you wonder why it's not possible in the real jet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

It certainly is. Makes you wonder why it's not possible in the real jet.

We shall see what's possible or not when A/G radar modes arrive... if ever:smilewink:

For CCIP we need AGR (air to ground ranging). It also includes auto acquisition... point your gun reticle at a vehicle on the ground (moving or stationary) and it's locked. Funny thing is we can use guns on a designated stationary target without AGR now. So CCIP right now is half-ass but it works for the most part.

The previous responses about using Auto are all correct, you can switch to CCIP once you are tally target.

However, the one thing that is confounding me about the Hornet that other IRL fighters DO have is that you can still have a target diamond on the ground while in CCIP that gives you range to the target. I don't know how the real Hornet is mechanized - hopefully a Hornet driver will weigh in here.....

This (having the TGT diamond) is really important when you are doing a pop-up attack, or doing a dive bomb say from a CAS wheel. Your action points for the Pop or when to roll in from the CAS wheel are all based on range to the target. If you have no target info displayed in the HUD - such as it appears in the DCS Hornet HUD in CCIP - it makes setting up for the roll in really difficult and more of a TLAR maneuver (which is still valid. of course, but not ideal).

Also a common scenario with dumb bombs in a CAS scenario is a JTAC may give you the coordinates to a centroid point in the middle of or near several targets. On the roll in, you would use the TGT diamond to get your eyes into the area and then pick your actual discreet target to put the pipper on in the dive. So again, not sure why the Hornet would not have this feature, i.e. have the target diamond visible in CCIP as well as AUTO.

Speaking of CCIP..... Back in the day before JDAM and LGBs - CCIP dive bombing was typically the most accurate delivery method with dumb bombs like Mk82/84. It was far more accurate than AUTO if done correctly. So in certain situations where precision weapons are not available or the scenario drives you to an Old Skool delivery method, CCIP is still a very accurate way to get warheads on foreheads.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

On a side note, how much does wind affect our ordinance? I usually note the wind during the mission brief and then make a mental note of what side of the target to place the reticle... but it doesn't seem to be affected. I'm talking dumb bombs.

The CCIP (in theory, as IRL) should account for the wind that the jet sees based on GPS/INS inputs and extrapolates it to the surface. The lower your release point, the more accurate it should be - as there will be less variance in the wind from lower altitudes. If you are doing a HADB from higher altitudes and there are any wind shears - it will be somewhat less accurate.

Having said that, I am not aware of how DCS models the wind and its effect on freefall ordinance.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

We shall see what's possible or not when A/G radar modes arrive... if ever:smilewink:

For CCIP we need AGR (air to ground ranging). It also includes auto acquisition... point your gun reticle at a vehicle on the ground (moving or stationary) and it's locked. Funny thing is we can use guns on a designated stationary target without AGR now. So CCIP right now is half-ass but it works for the most part.

I do think we use AGR under the hood, although the man-machine interface is not there. If you create a target point with WPDSG and assign TDC priority to the HUD, you can slew it around (I think you can only do that with certain weapons selected). You'll sometimes see AGR displayed on the HUD.

-

I do think we use AGR under the hood, although the man-machine interface is not there. If you create a target point with WPDSG and assign TDC priority to the HUD, you can slew it around (I think you can only do that with certain weapons selected). You'll sometimes see AGR displayed on the HUD.

hmm, I have to try it again. I gave up on slewing via HUD a while back. Warthog TDC was not working that well at the time, at least not for me.

hmm, I have to try it again. I gave up on slewing via HUD a while back. Warthog TDC was not working that well at the time, at least not for me.

I finally had a chance to try it and it works but my Warthog TDC needs serious tweaking or the devs need to tone down sensitivity a little bit.

The CCIP delivery in high winds worked great though:

https://youtu.be/ROur6yPaW0I

I finally had a chance to try it and it works but my Warthog TDC needs serious tweaking or the devs need to tone down sensitivity a little bit.

The CCIP delivery in high winds worked great though:

https://youtu.be/ROur6yPaW0I

What curve / saturation do you run on the Hornet for the roll and pitch axis Gripes? (yes the roll and pitch not referencing the TDC axis).

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

What curve / saturation do you run on the Hornet for the roll and pitch axis Gripes? (yes the roll and pitch not referencing the TDC axis).

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Just recently I've changed pitch to "deadzone 2, sat X 100, sat Y 100, curv 30"

roll to "deadzone 2, sat X 100, sat Y 100, curv 15"

I was going nuts when I initially installed the Hornet trying to come up with some intricate setups to accommodate form flying as well as good BFM performance. Recently for some weird reason the above setup is what works for me best. I still have my WH stick on the side and I can control my roll inputs a lot better with the curve set to 15. I'm planning to change to center stick in the near future... when I have time.:) and certainly the pitch and roll setup will have to change.

Just recently I've changed pitch to "deadzone 2, sat X 100, sat Y 100, curv 30"

roll to "deadzone 2, sat X 100, sat Y 100, curv 15"

I was going nuts when I initially installed the Hornet trying to come up with some intricate setups to accommodate form flying as well as good BFM performance. Recently for some weird reason the above setup is what works for me best. I still have my WH stick on the side and I can control my roll inputs a lot better with the curve set to 15. I'm planning to change to center stick in the near future... when I have time.:) and certainly the pitch and roll setup will have to change.

Copy, thanks for that. Might give that config a go - just to compare to what I am currently running. Just back into the states, and will fly tomorrow - literally have no idea what currently using, other than it has been adjusted "a bit."

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

A related question, in the A10 you can slave your TGP to a waypoint, I thought I could do the same in the Hornet but could not figure out how to do it anymore. Reason I ask is I have a hard time finding targets with the TGP. I have a mission with a lot of targets in the desert on the Nevada map. I use it to practice AG delivery for all different weapons. As it is all dirt it hard to find landscape features to reference so I place a waypoint on it. Hence slave TGP to waypoint would be great.

Thanks

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

A related question, in the A10 you can slave your TGP to a waypoint, I thought I could do the same in the Hornet but could not figure out how to do it anymore. Reason I ask is I have a hard time finding targets with the TGP. I have a mission with a lot of targets in the desert on the Nevada map. I use it to practice AG delivery for all different weapons. As it is all dirt it hard to find landscape features to reference so I place a waypoint on it. Hence slave TGP to waypoint would be great.

Thanks

Planned functionality, but we don't have it in the Hornet yet. Best you can do currently is move the TGP indicator on the SA page over the waypoint you want to aim it at to get you close, then work from there. It's a bit of a pain, but it's reasonably accurate.

Planned functionality, but we don't have it in the Hornet yet. Best you can do currently is move the TGP indicator on the SA page over the waypoint you want to aim it at to get you close, then work from there. It's a bit of a pain, but it's reasonably accurate.

This.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Thanks Rob, I did not fly DCS as much over the summer and then you start questioning yourself, did I forget how to do it?

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

It might've been mentioned before and I missed it but there is a way to designate ground target for CCIP delivery in current version of OB... might have been there before.

I knew it was possible to have the target designated when switching from JDAMs in manual release mode to a dumb bomb in CCIP and the target designation would remain, so... next thing I tried was designating a target for Mk84 set to manual mode then switching to CCIP. The designation remained and I was able to hit a barely visible target spot on.