Walleye questions

hreich

Hello folks!

What I´m doing wrong with walleye release? Since release a few weeks ago I´ve tried guide the bomb until target via datalink pod but without sucess . My steps:

- Master arm ON

- A/G ON

- Stores page walleye selected (warming up 3 min or so) .

- Sensor control switch to desired DDI (Left side)

- Slew seeker until target and lock

Now, turning on datalink.

- Datalink selected

- Weapon selected

- Channel selected (same number of pylon 2 or 8)

- TV locked on target

Now I release the bomb and .... TV turns off and I can´t guide .

So I just discovered something (which I am sure is no duh to anyone) about the Walleye.

If you have a target from another source (e.g. waypoint) designated as soon as you uncage the seeker head it will go straight for it and give you a time to release cue on the HUD. Used it during the "Dawn Raiders" mission and was quite useful in getting my Walleye looking into the target area.

Haven't tried it with a TGP but I don't see why it wouldn't work (you just couldn't have datalink, but still if you have designated a specific target that might be a non-issue).

Hello everyone,

Well just tried the Walleye for the 1st time today, against buildings and a large cargo ship.

After searching through the forum, managed to get to release the bombs, but only a few times it was possible.

The "auto-lock" feature (where the crosses lock by themselves) only rarelly appears.

But my main problem is: the WE cue at the HUD almost always remains crossed ( X ), preventing me from releasing the bomb even when the target is near and clearly visible at the DDI... what I'm I doing wrong ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Are you trying in multiplayer?

No, only single player.

Also with the datalink pod the initial lock / aiming on target seems to be much easier, but even then after releasing the walleye the sight seems to stray off target, needing constant adjustment...

Isn't it supposed to stay locked / still (like FLIR T-Pod) after being slewed to target position ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Just a guess, but if the walleye doesn't recognise a target it can't lock. If you get a target by TGP it does not mean the walleye knows the exact position after launch. As soon as it is close enough to recognise the target it is able to lock.

Hello,

Thank you for your attention, indeed I've been reading (here) several threads about the Walleye.

And although I've read that it is somewhat "old-school" tech, I wasn't aware that the possibilty of it not recognizing exist... is that such a possibility ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Well the walleye is not the only weapon that has to recognise the target to get a lock. The IR maverick needs to "see" its targets too prior to the release.

I use my walleye with targets from the TGP bc it sees them way earlier. Then after the release it is quite nice to be able to get the walleye's crosses to the desired target.

It even hits slowly moving ones and does not need lasing. I like it a lot. Wish I could have more of them stored.

Well the walleye is not the only weapon that has to recognise the target to get a lock. The IR maverick needs to "see" its targets too prior to the release.

I use my walleye with targets from the TGP bc it sees them way earlier. Then after the release it is quite nice to be able to get the walleye's crosses to the desired target.

It even hits slowly moving ones and does not need lasing. I like it a lot. Wish I could have more of them stored.

But when you say "recognise" it means that in some angles it might lock a ship (Molniya for instance), whereas on other angles it might not ?

Also, the crosshairs (sight) are supposed to not stay on a fixed position until it locks / recognise the target ?

Thank you.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Without knowing I assume the walleye does not have an area track system in case it does not see the shape of a lockable target. It seems to me that it just has a TV picture. So it is not a question of angle but more of contrast, imho.

I see... also the link below explains some doubts:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4081837

And I've just tried to emply the Walleye not with the Datalink POD, but with the T-POD ( FLIR ), and let me tell you... GOOD BLESS such different sensors integration !!!

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

:)

I just watched some YT videos about real walleye deployment with datalink and I find ED has done a really good job.

I agree!

The Litening T-Pod does make a difference for better, as it allows target acquisition much sooner and far away than Dataling Pod and the Walleye TV itself.

However even when slaved by the T-Pod, sometimes the Walleye only gets allowed to release (WE without X cross at the HUD), when relatively near to target...

I find I can't release them from so high and far away like a GBU, is this supposed to be like that ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system