AV-8B+ - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
Shadow_1stVFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Having a fighter that can operate inside a air defence network close to the enemy border, without any roadbases or airfields or carriers is huge benefit.
This.

That's one thing DCS doesn't do well, simulate an environment with missing logistics.

I had a pretty long conversation with a few guys about the Hornet vs Viper that follows along the same train of thought as the above post. Some are saying they don't understand the Viper vs Hornet, they do they same thing. Which I'd more or less agree with in principle. But the thing about the Hornet is it can do the same things the Viper can do in places the Viper can't. And that, in my opinion is it's main advantage, the carrier and her strike group. Allowing that hornet to operate from just about anywhere in the world within a few hours really.

But that will never really be a benefit in DCS as the maps will always have a airfield Vipers can operate out of within a reasonable distance.

Kind of the same thing for the Harrier II+ but a little more extreme. Take away the carriers and airfields and you are left with roads to operate off of, and even then you have to move frequently. That's the benefit of airframes like the harrier and viggen. But we just don't really see that in DCS. Now, if there was an option to place a FARP where you don't need to be in contact with it to rearm and refuel, well those aircraft have a lot more power. Just imagine if in the huey or Mi-8 you could load a unit that allowed the Harrier or Viggen to land on a road, get within say 100 yards and rearm and refuel, then get back into the air. Then that helo takes off, heads to another spot and they can keep doing that. Now the harrier doesn't needs it's fuel tanks and can just keep hitting targets and coming back and going out again. That's the idea behind the Harrier. But we don't have that, so it's a jet with shorter legs, less hardpoints, and less maneuverability.

You can build missions for it to exploit the usefulness, but it's a biut hard not being able to get fuel or weapons and being stuck to the ship or airfields.
Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift
Shadow_1stVFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
Harlikwin

Realistic scenario design is something that can be done in DCS, but usually isnt. Mainly because its hard... i always personally LOL anytime i see a scenario with carrier group that isnt russian in the black sea.

And the Harriers main selling point was that it could be operated from FARPS, and it actually was a few times. Unlike most other planes with highway landing capability.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 03-04-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #23
Shadow_1stVFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Realistic scenario design is something that can be done in DCS, but usually isnt.
Tell you what, you build me a mission in which you can rearm or refuel a harrier which landed on a road.
Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift
Shadow_1stVFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #24
Harlikwin

You drop a farp near a road

**Its ED's fault**

Last edited by Harlikwin; 03-05-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #25
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

You can use the Marston mod by Suntsag to refuel and rearm anywhere on the map. Roads included.

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860-GTX 1060 KFA2- 6G RAM-1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #26
Vfa-81 Fix

Quote:
Realistic scenario design is something that can be done in DCS, but usually isnt. Mainly because its hard... i always personally LOL anytime i see a scenario with carrier group that isnt russian in the black sea.
Mind sharing one of your realistic missions?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #27
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfa-81 Fix View Post
Mind sharing one of your realistic missions?
Dont really have any personal ones. Mostly i make training missions on various aircraft of very limited scope and im not an editor wizzard. Mostly i find the premises behind many missions hokey (CVBG in the black sea etc.)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #28
Vfa-81 Fix

Quote:
Dont really have any personal ones. Mostly i make training missions on various aircraft of very limited scope and im not an editor wizzard. Mostly i find the premises behind many missions hokey (CVBG in the black sea etc.)
What a surprise.
But you know it can be done and if done it´s a hard thing to do?

Maybe then point me to a realistic mission made by someone else that you use?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #29
Harlikwin

Recently got the Viggen red flag campaign, that seems ok so far, haven't gotten through it though.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #30
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esac_mirmidon View Post
You can use the Marston mod by Suntsag to refuel and rearm anywhere on the map. Roads included.
Yeah, I keep meaning to DL that, it looks like a good mod.