Tarawa shortcomings - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 AM   #91
Harlikwin

Thanks Suntsag. Looks like "someone" has some work to do.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #92
Eagle7907

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNTSAG View Post
The reason that the Tarawa cannot simply use the Stennis lua format is down to the code associated with VTOL aircraft within DCS. It can clearly be demonstrated by spawning AV8Bs on the deck of the Stennis (RAMP START or PARKING HOT) and eventually you will see them spawn inside each other.

If I change the AV8B code I can indeed spawn aircraft on the deck as per the image below. Doing this means that AI airframes would lose VTOL capability.

Similarly the helo spawning for the Stennis cannot be ported across to the Tarawa at present either. Which is why in my mod, a helo has to be placed as a RUNWAY start in slot 4, to appear in front of the island.

I have no idea which party needs to address these issues moving forward and I am by no means a lua genius (just a mod coder) so after many many hours of tinkering with the code, these are my findings. They are by no means definitive but give you an insight as to what the issues are.

I, like many others, appreciate your work. But let's be real here. The AI Harriers presently have no VTOL capability on the Tarawa. If they do, then mine is broken. I've never seen them fully land, then taxi to shutdown. They just disappear or crash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #93
gunterlund21

Errors in the Tarawa Config
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tarawa config errors.png
Views:	33
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	205550  
Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #94
Shadow_1stVFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7907 View Post
I, like many others, appreciate your work. But let's be real here. The AI Harriers presently have no VTOL capability on the Tarawa. If they do, then mine is broken. I've never seen them fully land, then taxi to shutdown. They just disappear or crash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Personally I'd rather they just disappear. It's a pain to deal with taxiing aircraft on the Stennis. If you've got statics on the ship you either need to set the AI to invulerable, or the crash and make a mess, or just 'know' where they will taxi, which with no documentation on where the AI taxi and park, is a stupidly long process of trail and error.

Don't get me wrong, I like the taxiing AI. Some of the time. But I'd rather my ships look a little more busy than a clean deck until planes come to land.

So I get into this situation where using AI kills the start up process because the ship is empty, or I use statics and can't really use AI.

I kind of rather liked the approach Jane's F-18 used whereby all flight deck movements where scripted. But we don't have that here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift
Shadow_1stVFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #95
Eagle7907

Default Tarawa shortcomings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_1stVFW View Post
Personally I'd rather they just disappear. It's a pain to deal with taxiing aircraft on the Stennis. If you've got statics on the ship you either need to set the AI to invulerable, or the crash and make a mess, or just 'know' where they will taxi, which with no documentation on where the AI taxi and park, is a stupidly long process of trail and error.

Don't get me wrong, I like the taxiing AI. Some of the time. But I'd rather my ships look a little more busy than a clean deck until planes come to land.

So I get into this situation where using AI kills the start up process because the ship is empty, or I use statics and can't really use AI.

I kind of rather liked the approach Jane's F-18 used whereby all flight deck movements where scripted. But we don't have that here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree, the Stennis taxi procedures don’t really work well. I think they should reserve an elevator for AI arrivals and despawn once lowered below. That way the mission creators can keep the deck space for players/static if wanted and the AI are predictable and get out of the way quick. As far as the spawning goes, the only solution I can think of is a timer or metering method that keeps the vital deck areas clear and allows an efficient operation for launch and recovery like they currently do.

Otherwise, the problem is going from an operation that has clear cut, long, spacious taxiways/movement areas to some very limited square feet of flat surface.

Tarawa just compounds the problem because it’s much smaller. However, still utilizing a lift to despawn on is still a good tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Eagle7907; 03-04-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Eagle7907 is offline   Reply With Quote