FPS limiters and Track-IR performance

bandit648

I encourage you to do your own testing on this subject. You should be able to run G-Sync at 60hz / 60 fps just fine. TrackIR is certainly smoother at 60 fps. Download the Nvidia Pendulum demo and do some tests and see what works and what doesn't. My Monitor, runs G-Sync perfectly at 60hz. I have the LG 32GK850G 32-Inch 1440p/144hz G-Sync Monitor.

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

I suspect advice on sites like Guru3d is geared towards the masses playing first person shooters and not guys running flight sims with TrackIR in the mix.

You can setup logging in MSI Afterburner to track your fps. Just go to settings, monitor tab and select a location for your log file. Then setup hotkey's to turn it on/off.

How do you like your Acer XB321HK? I used to have that monitor. I owned it for around 6 months before forcing Acer to give me my money back on it. The monitor has this intermittent artifact glitch that Acer apparently had no interest in fixing. Lots of discussion about it on the Acer forums.

Gsync only works at fps less than the refresh rate. That is why 58 is recommended.

I have absolutely no issues with TrackIR at 58fps or any other come to that! 58 or 60? Why should it make a difference to TrackIR? Most people are running at fps way lower than 60 on this forum, and don't have any issue that I have sen with TrackIR.

Re monitor, it's the best I have ever owned, and no glitches whatsoever. I run DCS and other games (including FPS!) at 58fps in 4K with max settings. Nice image quality and solidly built.

I hardly ever believe what one ot two people have to say on tech forums. I mean, 2 recent examples, a few people had an issue with the 2080Ti FE, and some people were ranting on about steering well clear. Similarly one or two people have had an issue with the Pimax 5K + and so, others are calling the product and the customer service poor and to stay away. In general, the 99% of happy customers are not represented on the internet!

I'll have a look at the demo you pointed to.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I encourage you to do your own testing on this subject. You should be able to run G-Sync at 60hz / 60 fps just fine. TrackIR is certainly smoother at 60 fps. Download the Nvidia Pendulum demo and do some tests and see what works and what doesn't. My Monitor, runs G-Sync perfectly at 60hz. I have the LG 32GK850G 32-Inch 1440p/144hz G-Sync Monitor.

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

OK, interesting demo. It confirms what I thought. If I run with Gsync on and fps limited to 60, then I get some tearing. If I run with fps limited to 58 - in RTSS and rock solid as per the demo's fps counter - the display is perfect.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Gsync only works at fps less than the refresh rate. That is why 58 is recommended.

I have absolutely no issues with TrackIR at 58fps or any other come to that! 58 or 60? Why should it make a difference to TrackIR? Most people are running at fps way lower than 60 on this forum, and don't have any issue that I have sen with TrackIR.

Re monitor, it's the best I have ever owned, and no glitches whatsoever. I run DCS and other games (including FPS!) at 58fps in 4K with max settings. Nice image quality and solidly built.

I hardly ever believe what one ot two people have to say on tech forums. I mean, 2 recent examples, a few people had an issue with the 2080Ti FE, and some people were ranting on about steering well clear. Similarly one or two people have had an issue with the Pimax 5K + and so, others are calling the product and the customer service poor and to stay away. In general, the 99% of happy customers are not represented on the internet!

I'll have a look at the demo you pointed to.

G-Sync is supposed to work UP TO the refresh rate of the monitor, not less than. Maybe on some monitors this is an issue, hence the recommendation to cap fps lower then the refresh rate. On my monitor, I can run at 60hz/60fps with no tearing and I can also run all the way up to 144hz with no tearing.

As far as TrackIR is concerned, I don't know why some people say it's smooth for them with variable fps while others like myself only see smooth tracking at a locked 60 fps. TrackIR updates at 120hz so according to NaturalPoint you should only expect smooth tracking at 30/60/120 fps. That's exactly what I observe as well. If you make quick jerky head movements back and forth you don't notice it, it's only with slow movement that the microstutter/jerky movement is noticeable.

I liked my XB321HK also but the artifact glitch was something that bothered me from day one. I didn't just read about it in the forums, I saw it with my own eyes. Then I went to the forums and found other people saw it too... and Acer was doing nothing about it. For me, that was too much given the high cost of the monitor so I demanded my money back.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

TrackIR with 144Hz GSYNC here...very much agree that 60 FPS is best for TrackIR smoothness.

So if I set my monitor refresh rate to 60Hz, wouldn't using VSYNC in game work as a frame limiter as well?

Yes, VSYNC will act as a frame limiter and cap your fps at 60. I think this interferes with G-Sync though as it didn't perform well for me. For me, the best results were leaving v-sync off in NVCP, capping fps at 60 with NVInspector "Limiter V2 - All off" option, and running my monitor at 144hz with G-Sync on in Fullscreen mode.

The other thing I found that messes things up is the in-game fps limiter. In the graphics.lua file there is a line "maxfps = 180;". I leave it disabled by simply commenting it out (just put -- in front of it).

Technically the in-game fps limiter should be the best since its capping the frames at the source. However, the DCS one is terrible. If I lock at 60 with "maxfps" I get terrible results compared to RTSS or NVI. That thing should just be disabled by default.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Yes, VSYNC will act as a frame limiter and cap your fps at 60. I think this interferes with G-Sync though as it didn't perform well for me. For me, the best results were leaving v-sync off in NVCP, capping fps at 60 with NVInspector "Limiter V2 - All off" option, and running my monitor at 144hz with G-Sync on in Fullscreen mode.

I know we are going round in circles here, but having vsync on in NVCP shouldn't interfere with gsync.

See this article which I'm sure you'll already have read https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

That is the conclusion page, and the conclusion is that the best setting for gsync on a 60Hz monitor are - gsync on, vsync on, and frame limited (by RTSS) to 57.

Great information here everyone...thank you.

I know we are going round in circles here, but having vsync on in NVCP shouldn't interfere with gsync.

See this article which I'm sure you'll already have read https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

That is the conclusion page, and the conclusion is that the best setting for gsync on a 60Hz monitor are - gsync on, vsync on, and frame limited (by RTSS) to 57.

Isn't VSYNC and a frame rate limiter redundant? With my monitor refresh rate set at 60Hz instead of it's native 144Hz, VSYNC would cap the FPS at 60 to match the refresh rate.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Great information here everyone...thank you.

Isn't VSYNC and a frame rate limiter redundant? With my monitor refresh rate set at 60Hz instead of it's native 144Hz, VSYNC would cap the FPS at 60 to match the refresh rate.

No, it's not, for the reasons explained in that article. Read all 14 pages. It is generally regarded as one of the most useful articles on Gsync/Vsync available. It's quite an eye opener.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the blurbusters recommendation to cap 3 fps below your refresh rate based on if your fps is expected to exceed your refresh rate. You can run G-Sync perfectly fine at 60hz, but if your fps goes to 61 or above then you will experience tearing without v-sync enabled.

picture.php?albumid=1636&pictureid=10491

How do you set up NvidiaInspector to limit at 60? Which executable should I link the profile to so that when DCS starts, it will enable the vsync from nvidia?

I just use the base/global profile since I don't play many other games. But, if you just want to affect DCS choose the "Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark" profile. Then modify the following:

Frame Rate Limiter: 60 FPS

Frame Rate Limiter Mode: "Limiter V2 - Force Off [Enables Limiter V1 (Less Input Lag)]

Click Apply Changes

Thanks. Yeah, no reason not to use the global profile. There isn't anything I don't want capped. Good suggestion.

I have see a Frame Rate Limiter Mode setting.

You're running an older Nvidia driver, that's why. Limiter V2 was introduced in a more recent driver, not sure when.

I don't get what TrackIR has to do with it. Have you tested all above WITHOUT TrackIR, too, just using another methode like mouse or pov heat to alter the view direction?

Why would trackIr need 60Hz or else?

I fully do understand that you expirience alot of stutter if your monitor refresh rate is out of sync from what the graphics card is trowing at it and that the graphics card is having trouble of delivering constant frames if you alter view direction permanently by using trackIR or else.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the blurbusters recommendation to cap 3 fps below your refresh rate based on if your fps is expected to exceed your refresh rate. You can run G-Sync perfectly fine at 60hz, but if your fps goes to 61 or above then you will experience tearing without v-sync enabled.

picture.php?albumid=1636&pictureid=10491

We’re getting nowhere with this discussion. Read the article. It is perfectly clear what the advice is. It’s up to you if you want to accept it or not.

You're running an older Nvidia driver, that's why. Limiter V2 was introduced in a more recent driver, not sure when.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm running 391.35. Guess I haven't updated in a while. To be honest, I never see any real good reason to update. Everything I run works fine.

Edited by Griphos

Technically the in-game fps limiter should be the best since its capping the frames at the source. However, the DCS one is terrible. If I lock at 60 with "maxfps" I get terrible results compared to RTSS or NVI. That thing should just be disabled by default.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the DCS .cfg "maxfps" line to limit FPS? Using this would be the most simple solution but it's a mess. I have to set the maxfps line to 100 for the in-game FPS display to show 60 FPS so I don't know if I could trust that. Anything lower that 100 and the in game FPS shows 50...

I don't get what TrackIR has to do with it. Have you tested all above WITHOUT TrackIR, too, just using another methode like mouse or pov heat to alter the view direction?

Why would trackIr need 60Hz or else?

I fully do understand that you expirience alot of stutter if your monitor refresh rate is out of sync from what the graphics card is trowing at it and that the graphics card is having trouble of delivering constant frames if you alter view direction permanently by using trackIR or else.

TrackIR has everything to do with this...it's why this thread exists. TrackIR has a refresh rate of 120Hz. Since nobody can really have the graphics turned up and sustain 120 FPS, we are trying to find the best way to lock FPS at 60. There are many threads on this topic and in those, people have isolated TrackIR as the stuttering problem by turning it off and getting smooth viewing with the mouse.

But ingame vSync OFF, to not fight what the nvidia driver wants to do.

Right?

You don't mean its sample rate of 120fps? Nothing to do with graphics card output to the monitor.

It is the rate of the frames that it's infrared camera delivering pictures to the TrackIR software to get your heads position fast and smooth enough.

Sample Rate.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the DCS .cfg "maxfps" line to limit FPS? Using this would be the most simple solution but it's a mess. I have to set the maxfps line to 100 for the in-game FPS display to show 60 FPS so I don't know if I could trust that. Anything lower that 100 and the in game FPS shows 50...

TrackIR has everything to do with this...it's why this thread exists. TrackIR has a refresh rate of 120Hz. Since nobody can really have the graphics turned up and sustain 120 FPS, we are trying to find the best way to lock FPS at 60. There are many threads on this topic and in those, people have isolated TrackIR as the stuttering problem by turning it off and getting smooth viewing with the mouse.

why cant you just set monitor refresh rate to 60hz in nvcp and then enable vsync in game OR in nvcp??..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

But ingame vSync OFF, to not fight what the nvidia driver wants to do.

Right?

Right!

But still, this meme is spreading to other threads. TrackIR has nothing to do with your monitors refresh rate. Plz confirm. It might be that the opener did two things at the same time and coz he thought there might be a connection felt proven. This is not the case.

TrackIR is an input device, that does not interfere with your graphics card output.

There might be several other reasons that you find a good combination if you match your cards output of 60Frames to a monitors 60Hz refresh rate.

TrackIRs 120FPS is the refresh of the TrackIRs infrared camera.

Plz don not throw that into one basket.

But still, this meme is spreading to other threads. TrackIR has nothing to do with your monitors refresh rate. Plz confirm. It might be that the opener did two things at the same time and coz he thought there might be a connection felt proven. This is not the case.

TrackIR is an input device, that does not interfere with your graphics card output.

There might be several other reasons that you find a good combination if you match your cards output of 60Frames to a monitors 60Hz refresh rate.

TrackIRs 120FPS is the refresh of the TrackIRs infrared camera.

Plz don not throw that into one basket.

Your are right in that TrackIR has no influence on monitor refresh rate and GPU FPS output, however; to avoid the stuttering we see from the mismatch in monitor refresh rate, GPU FPS output and TrackIR refresh rate, they all must match or at least from my experience, a frame rate lock of 60 FPS alone with my monitor refresh left at 144Hz will get rid of the stutter. In that sense, they are all related to each other if you want to create the smoothest TrackIR experience possible.

I’ve been using this method for months....

144hz monitor but set it at 120hz through Windows.

In NVCP set the frame rate to lock at 60.

Set Vsync in NVCP at 1/2 refresh rate. (To match the monitor)

This gives me glass smooth Tracking with TrackIR.

The frames don’t drop below 60 no matter where I fly.

Edited by 30mikemike

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.