Vulkan API - Page 29 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #281
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofEil View Post
It looks like the first consumer (prosumer?) headset with foveated rendering will be the Vive Pro 'Eye', or whatever they're calling it, expected at some point this year.
The good news is that testers of R&D and proof-of-concept (non Vive Pro Eye) iterations of foveated rendering report performance increases of 40-70% with no perceptible loss in image quality (because you physiologically can't notice the loss). If it's able to track saccadic eye movements with extremely low latency (which it has to to be functional) then blinking shouldn't be a problem at all.
The bad news, as far as we're concerned, is that foveated rendering may be on game developers to support. I have the impression that ED sees VR as the future so hopefully they won't drag their feet in implementing that support.
While I'd love to see it I'm really holding my breath on Foveated rendering in general I think its way too much on the hype-train at this point. I think with the vive eye you might see some gimicky stuff like IRL eye positioning when interacting with other players, or using your eyes to select menu items. DCS support for foveated rendering is at least a few years out IMO.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #282
blkspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
While I'd love to see it I'm really holding my breath on Foveated rendering in general I think its way too much on the hype-train at this point. I think with the vive eye you might see some gimicky stuff like IRL eye positioning when interacting with other players, or using your eyes to select menu items. DCS support for foveated rendering is at least a few years out IMO.
Actually like most things VR, and especially rendering options, it should be wrapped up in the VR API/SDK. That should reduce the steps/time a developer would need to implement such a feature.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 AM   #283
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
Actually like most things VR, and especially rendering options, it should be wrapped up in the VR API/SDK. That should reduce the steps/time a developer would need to implement such a feature.
Thats the part i dont see happening fast. Plus the bigger issue with foveated rendering is that you need even faster render times, yoir eyes move alot faster than your head...
Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #284
The Falcon

Fovated rendering will be soon but the problems are others:
Lens quality; sweet spot, not plastic, with chromatic aberration filter.
Screens; high number of ppi, not necessarily a high resolution, oled or type those for not having light halos.
Fov; just help with realism.

The only thing that really interests me is that they take away the chromatic aberration, as long as they wear cheap lenses at the price of 500/900 bucks, I will not buy anything.
The Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #285
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
Fovated rendering will be soon but the problems are others:
Lens quality; sweet spot, not plastic, with chromatic aberration filter.
Screens; high number of ppi, not necessarily a high resolution, oled or type those for not having light halos.
Fov; just help with realism.

The only thing that really interests me is that they take away the chromatic aberration, as long as they wear cheap lenses at the price of 500/900 bucks, I will not buy anything.
Well, lets hope I'm wrong on the foveated rendering thing, but I don't think I am, I don't think its a "simple" problem to solve technically speaking.

I absolutely agree with you that optical design of most headsets could be better, but again as you point out at what price point. I'm sure a pro-headset like the Xtal has good optics. But it also costs 3-5k. Hopefully there gets to be some market choice, but the market today is pretty small.

I think for flight sim-VR which is even a smaller market, and very specific one, the best we can hope for is headsets with much higher PPD, and hopefully the new Vive Cosmos (speculated 2160x2160 per eye) with an FOV similar to the current vive, could be the commercial set that pushes PPD into the 20's. Of course that means you have push 4x many pixels per eye compared to the Rift, so that may be a deal breaker for the current state of DCS (hopefully fixed by Vulkan).

I think once headsets can get PPD into the 30's with a ~100deg FOV and usable frame-rates I think most flight simmers will be happy and then will push for a wider FOV.

Unfortunately I see mainstream VR going the other way, for them the current PPD seems good enough and the focus for many is better FOV for more "presence" and raising the bar hardware wise means fewer customers.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #286
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Unfortunately I see mainstream VR going the other way, for them the current PPD seems good enough and the focus for many is better FOV for more "presence" and raising the bar hardware wise means fewer customers.

Yes, this is because increasing the fov is the simplest and least expensive thing, obviously without considering the deformation of the current lenses, the CA and etc ... So they start first to sell this then slowly integrate high ppi screens and fovrendering, then I believe that unfortunately the improvement of lenses will take place as the last thing.

there seems to be technology already
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/na...ity,36216.html
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #287
Mr_sukebe

I see that HP are touting a new headset with something like 2k * 2k resolution, implying that not all manufactures are shooting at the lower end of the market. Add in eye tracking to facilitate foveated rendering and allow us to move the pixels and things are looking rosy.

Last edited by Mr_sukebe; 02-07-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Mr_sukebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #288
The Falcon

we will see, seeing the ridiculous cost of the Xtal, which does not seem great to me, I think that hp vr would be a step forward. Xtal currently at that price is blocking the market.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #289
falken76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
They are already on it. Using Vulkan that is.

Are they working on the engine as we speak? Or is Vulkan already implemented into the current engine? I was under the impression that DCS was on a really old outdated engine and the switch to Vulkan would be a game changer. I don't notice a difference at all since I started playing it.
falken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #290
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken76 View Post
Are they working on the engine as we speak? Or is Vulkan already implemented into the current engine? I was under the impression that DCS was on a really old outdated engine and the switch to Vulkan would be a game changer. I don't notice a difference at all since I started playing it.

The last update (a few months ago now) was that the engine was Vulkan capable. However the real work of migrating the shaders was starting. So again, I wouldn't expect to see it anytime (too) soon.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote