Units on instruments should be independent from gameplay options

Derbysieger

I really hope this is only a temporary implementation.

IMHO options like this belong in the special tab and should never ever depend on gameplay options. Imagine every dev would do it this way with aircraft that can have instruments with imperial or metric scales. You'd have to constantly switch between metric/imperial if you want to have realistic units inside the cockpit depending on the scenario you fly.

I'm always in favor of more options but please do it 'right'. Stuff like this is exactly why we have a 'Special' tab in the options menu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

+1

Changes to instrument scales (km/h, m/s, etc. -> knots, ft/min, etc.) need to be separate from the cockpit language.

I struggle with Cyrillic cockpits as I have to remember symbols/positions rather than abbreviations or prompts for switch functions, etc. So really appreciate having a cockpit labelled in English if I haven't flown a module in a while.

I feel the different units are part of the 'flavour' of each airframe. So changing the units used on flight instruments isn't something I want.

Others might i.e. if the L-39 was to be used as substitute for a T-45 Goshawk (I don't see the point without TACAN, ILS, etc. but choice is good).

I suppose scale units could be linked to the editor/F10 options but what happens if I want English cockpits for the A-10C in knots, Spitfire in mph, L-39 in km/h, etc.

Note: I'm on Steam Beta (1.5.3), so have only read the 1.5.4 change log.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have always tried to stick to the prototype's instrument units, which isn't too difficult, especially given that the flight manuals will have units that match.

Cockpit language is usually supported very quickly with mods, so not a major issue.

I think swapping kmph for knots isn't needed as working with the manuals would then mean converting the manuals too. Just get used to the differences, and use rule of thumb estmates to compare if you're used to just one unit of measurement.

It soon becomes second nature, and presumably that is exactly what real pilots have to do, so why not us too?

My point is that as with cockpit language this option should be in the 'Special' tab for the L-39 and not bound to global gameplay options. I'm not against this option being there I just don't think this is the way to implement it. Especially with the growing number of modules.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

My point is that as with cockpit language this option should be in the 'Special' tab for the L-39 and not bound to global gameplay options. I'm not against this option being there I just don't think this is the way to implement it. Especially with the growing number of modules.

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I thought this was a suggestion that every module must produce their cockpit with the instruments done twice, once in each system. I thought that was a hugely unreasonable request then I realized that the L-39 is actually done this way. That's cool if those developers want to put in the extra work.

That great and all but it's tied to the global units preference for all of everything? No, no, no, no, bad, no. This "gauge swap" is exactly what the module special options tab was built for. What if I want to have metric L-39 gauges but have imperial editor units or the other way around? What if another module ties something important to the global units preference?

It's already a complete pain that the editor units preference cannot be changed during gameplay. Just as there is a keybind to change lat/long display from DD.DDDD to DD*MM'SS'' to DD*MM.MM' there should be a key to change metric to imperial (and perhaps a button in the ME/MP UI).

Maybe I know German and Spanish that I want to fly a German plane in a German-language cockpit and a Spanish plane in a Spanish-language cockpit but I don't know Japanese so I fly that one with its English option. There are too many variables that a global setting would ever make sense.

It does make sense to have a global preference that can be overridden by a higher-priority module-specific option though.

GAMEPLAY

Language Preference: Spanish

Units Preference: Metric

SPECIAL

ABC Language: Default

ABC Units: Default

DEF Language: Default

DEF Units: Imperial

GHI Language: English

GHI Units: Default

JKL Language: Japanese

JKL Units: Imperial

You get the picture. The special tab would contain as many options as the module developer chose to include which might be none. If a module has a feature that matches the global preference it adopts it otherwise the module native. If the module special option is set other than default then it ignores the global preference for the specific one.

Just flew 1.5.4 for the first time and after noticing the new indicators I assumed it would be a setting under the special tabs.

So +1 for this.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to have the metric data for speed and other gauges ?

By the past all these informations was in metric but know thy are imperial, is possible to have a metric measures ?

I think that we must have the choice to choose between metric or imperial...

In advance a great thanks, Skull.

IMHO options like this belong in the special tab and should never ever depend on gameplay options. Imagine every dev would do it this way with aircraft that can have instruments with imperial or metric scales. You'd have to constantly switch between metric/imperial if you want to have realistic units inside the cockpit depending on the scenario you fly.

I'm always in favor of more options but please do it 'right'. Stuff like this is exactly why we have a 'Special' tab in the options menu.

+1

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Cockpit and Map data should be separated, but both should be available for both systems.

This way we could easily fly F-15C as Metric if wanted or Mig-21Bis as Imperial.

The manual isn't problem, as you don't need to correct everything all the time, you simply do the conversion once on the manual, like if manual say that landing speed is 280km/h, then put knots there too, ie.

280kph | 151kt

And same thing should be done for the map, really, as it would make it super easy for people to learn the differences. So when you look unit it gives both values and you can communicate on the fly with anyone if wanted so.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 :thumbup:

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.